1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
First

Back
914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923
925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934
Next

Last
  1. Rodmunch

VPI is making it for Shinola. Are you familiar with them?

2. GrouchoMarx1933

I am very familiar with them, and I am not a fan of the direction the company is taking (even before this Shinola showed up). This won't be a rebadged Classic 2 or anything like that. Again, I would be very happy to be surprised if it turns out to be good.

3. wink
    you_want_it_when_med.jpg

4. wink
    Reprise for the [REDACTED]
    you_want_it_when_med.jpg

5. Insidious Meme
    A nice day to go meet some friends, no?

GrouchoMarx1933 likes this.
  6. aholtzma

What kind of stack-up do you use for 3 layer? I've never heard of anyone doing that before. 

7. warrior1975
    I bought my first piece of Schiit, Valhalla 2. Excellent amp, I like it better than my Woo WA6. Awesome amp, great price. Definitely adding a Schiit DAC. Going to check out my tube rolling options this week.

8. Rowethren

I would definitely recommend going for a multibit dac from Schiit, which ever one that is in your price range. 

9. Robert777

Do not mean to derail, I have been listening to the Valhalla 2 all day and I love it but sometimes I wish it hit harder. Do you think that is more the nature of my HD800s?

JoeKickass likes this.
  10. watchnerd

Why would I want a VPI turntable from Shinola instead of a VPI turntable from VPI?

To me, this sounds like VPI is trying to reach the Urban Outfitters sell-a-turntable-in-a-clothing-store crowd, currently dominated by Crosley.

Example:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=40189078&category=A-GREEN

If so, it will be built for looks to a particular price point, sonics being a 3rd order criteria.

11. jimmers
    I would have thought it would be more to do with an aesthetic to suit their particular customers, something a watch nerd could appreciate - me rocking a 10 y.o. $60 Lorus [​IMG]

https://www.shinola.com/audio.html

Edit: Oh I see a picture below, Head-Fi.org sponsor.

12. GrouchoMarx1933

That's the nature of the Valhalla 2. You get wonderful imaging and resolution but not a ton of impact. I think it's a pretty great amp though.

13. Robert777

Good to know. Thank you.

14. earnmyturns
    Schiit arms race

My first Schiit was Bifrost Uber>Asgard 2 feeding MrSpeakers Alpha Primes. Engaging, but did not throw any shade on my living room Bel Canto C7R feeding KEF Reference 1s. Then upgraded to Bimby. Quite a bit better, but living room still better. Next, Asgard 2 and Alpha Primes were replaced by Jotunheim balanced into Ether C Flows. Now, the headphone system started putting the living room to shame. Finally, living room gets Yggy + Hegel H360 to replace the C7R. Living room back on top, by a mile. I fear what may be coming to the headphone system [​IMG]

RCBinTN and FrivolsListener like this.
  15. GrouchoMarx1933
    I'm saving up for a Yggy for my speaker system, which will also have the Jotunheim installed via Freya. I currently have a Mimby in there that will return to the desktop secondary system when I get the Yggy, so thinking of getting a Vali 2 again to pair with that (I gifted the first one I had to a friend).

First

Back
914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923
925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934
Next

Last