Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 16, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #13,321 of 150,564
  Just looking at the way the monitors are facing the speakers, it's pretty clear to me your intention is to make Ableza's blood boil
biggrin.gif

I know right, I changed it just for him because I love the sound of these so called reflection so much!... You cant really tell that well in the picture but the speakers are actually just in front of the monitors so crisis averted? Out of interest I did remove the monitors and heard literally no difference so there is that 
tongue.gif

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #13,322 of 150,564
  Aside: haven't tried your Multibit DAC on speakers? Have speakers? Do it. Trust me.

Great chapter! And congratulations on the new products. At last, some reasonably-priced serious competition in the 2-channel space.

I finally got around to purchasing a Modi Multibit and hooking it up to my Peachtree Decco 65 amp and Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend speakers and the difference is easily noticeable and larger than I expected.

By using a Peachtree USB to coax converter and a Y splitter I was able to route the same signal into the Peachtree built-in DAC and the Modi Multibit, which allowed for easy A/B comparisons.

The most obvious difference is that the multibit DAC has more sense of space - the soundstage is bigger, deeper and it's easier to identify the instruments and singers in the soundstage. Example: "Fecit potentiam" from the album "MAGNIFICAT". This is a wonderful recording from the Nidarosdomen cathedral in Norway and has a great sense of space. The Modi Multibit makes the choir appear more defined in space and also enables me to notice that the strings are placed in front of (and to me, lower than) the choir.

Based on my experience with the Bifrost Multibit in my headphone rig I expected the Modi Multibit to have a better sense of space. Another difference that was unexpected to me is that the Modi Multibit has a treble that is both clearer and more relaxing at the same time. It's actually kind of hard to explain, but it's easy to notice when I listen to the built-in DAC for a while and then switch to the Modi Multibit. The built-in DAC has a kind of 'glare' or 'glassy' sound that sounds unnatural and somewhat strained compared to the more natural-sounding treble of the Modi Multibit.

By the way, my Windows 10 Anniversary laptop recognized the Modi Multibit after a couple of seconds and downloaded the required drivers automatically​. It worked flawlessly from the first time it was plugged in. Progress!

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #13,323 of 150,564
Just looking at the way the monitors are facing the speakers, it's pretty clear to me your intention is to make Ableza's blood boil
biggrin.gif

My skins not so thin. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #13,324 of 150,564
  can't be 2 channel because there's a TV. So I reckon in must be multi-channel but I only have 2 speakers 
confused_face_2.gif

Of course it's not 2ch with a TV in there.  The TV has speakers, too!  so it's always multichannel :wink: when a TV is present.

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #13,326 of 150,564
  re: 12V trigger.  Another demand of the remote control generation.  My 2-channel gear has no 12V triggers.  It's called "turn on each power switch by hand."

And that's fine when you're the only person using your system. But when you've got a family who uses it -- as you would with any two-channel/HT integrated system -- that's not going to be acceptable.

In making this product, Schiit is clearly aiming at the "dedicated two-channel system" people, the ones who have a separate listening room set up that's wholly separate from their TV. And that's great for those people; the comments you're seeing about HT passthrough and 12v triggers and remote-controlled power switches and such-like are from the people whose two-channel system is also hooked up to their TV, and who think this sounds like a cool product (which it does) and are trying to figure out if there's any way this can work for their needs (which there often is not).

My suspicion is that the "two channel system as part of a home theater setup" people outnumber the "pure music two-channel system with dedicated room" people by an order of magnitude, so it's not super-surprising to me that "is there any way I could make this integrate into my home theater system sensibly?" is a common question.

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #13,327 of 150,564
Besides even if you bought a Saga/Freya + Vidar for a dedicated listening room, wouldn't you want another Saga/Freya + Vidar for your TV/Home Theater??

Even without trigger-on ability I think we can still make it work by hooking everything up to a switched power outlet, so I'm still excited!

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #13,329 of 150,564

My suspicion is that the "two channel system as part of a home theater setup" people outnumber the "pure music two-channel system with dedicated room" people by an order of magnitude, so it's not super-surprising to me that "is there any way I could make this integrate into my home theater system sensibly?" is a common question.

I'm not convinced. Have you been to a Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Costco, Or Sam's Club lately? The number of soundbars I see vastly outnumber 5.1 setups. A soundbar wouldn't preclude the addition of a 2-channel setup. 

The only reason I wanted triggers was because I physically can't reach a power switch on the back. But you can bet that I'm going to do everything I can to try and make Freya and Vidar work for me (via wifi switches, sequencers, etc).

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #13,332 of 150,564
  Power strip with 12v trigger: https://www.amazon.com/Panamax-M8-AV-PRO-Theater-Power-Management/dp/B0030TWBPU/

Surely there are others.  But the point is, this shouldn't be a deal-breaker.

Not really sure that'll work. You'd need something that outputs 12v DC to trigger the strip on.

Edit: Here's a Furman sequencer I found earlier. It's probably the best solution I've found so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Furman-M-8S-Power-Sequencer-Outlets/dp/B00KGI7BY4

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #13,333 of 150,564

I'm not convinced. Have you been to a Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Costco, Or Sam's Club lately? The number of soundbars I see vastly outnumber 5.1 setups. A soundbar wouldn't preclude the addition of a 2-channel setup. 

The only reason I wanted triggers was because I physically can't reach a power switch on the back. But you can bet that I'm going to do everything I can to try and make Freya and Vidar work for me (via wifi switches, sequencers, etc).

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. You're saying you'd put quality stereo speakers next to your TV, get two channels of quality amplification for them... and then completely ignore them for all video content and continue piping HT sound through the junky soundbar? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

And re the "physically can't reach," that's part of what I mean about the difference between a dedicated music-only system and an HT + music system. Dedicated music system components tend to be on open shelves like in the RMAF room, where it's easy to reach behind equipment to turn it on. Home theater stuff tends to be in a more enclosed cabinet where it would be difficult/impossible to reach behind things for power switches. These products were designed for two-channel audio-only systems, and you'll have to resort to hacks to get them to work at all in an HT system.

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #13,335 of 150,564
Well that is all okay then because my monitors don't have speakers in them so I must have a proper 2 channel system! Woop woop :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back