Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 21, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #12,226 of 150,850
You're in luck because Jason has confirmed that the 2 channel product reveal will be at RMAF. So in a week, we will be expecting something for the headphone world.

Oh yea, you're right, I forgot there were 2 reveals planned - one for RMAF and one for the SS next week. Thank you for reminding me! I really cannot fathom what it could possibly be however, I guess it depends on what they consider to be "revolutionary" but when I think of a strictly headphone related announcement I think of either a DAC or an amp (whatever functionalities or purpose they may server).

Then again, Mike is full of surprises, maybe there's something earth shattering he's come up with when it comes to the aforementioned devices' tech. Very exciting.

Aug 21, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #12,227 of 150,850
Oh yea, you're right, I forgot there were 2 reveals planned - one for RMAF and one for the SS next week. Thank you for reminding me! I really cannot fathom what it could possibly be however, I guess it depends on what they consider to be "revolutionary" but when I think of a strictly headphone related announcement I think of either a DAC or an amp (whatever functionalities or purpose they may server).

Then again, Mike is full of surprises, maybe there's something earth shattering he's come up with when it comes to the aforementioned devices' tech. Very exciting.

I honestly think it's going to be something in the analog realm where Jason's expertise is (new amp topology). Mike's been killing it the past year with all the digital releases. I'm hoping that the rest of 2016 proves that it's going to be a good year for analog (and we know it will with the upcoming speaker amps).

Aug 21, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #12,228 of 150,850
Yea you're probably right, and I do hope for a good end of the year for analogue as well. Been trying to hold off on some stuff I've been wanting to buy from the European Schiit dealer because I want to see what the SS announcement is first, the wait is killing me LOL

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #12,229 of 150,850
Aug 21, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #12,230 of 150,850
I am ready to put my $ where my mouth is, and blindly, such is my faith in the schiitheads. I hereby commit every penny of extra money i have available to whatever is revealed. Here's my five dollars.

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #12,232 of 150,850
  Since when does Jason have knob-phobia?  Even the Fulla has analog headphone gain.

OK, I should have said multi-knob-phobia. Of course the amps have a volume knob. But on Rag, for example, where source and gain selection could have been controlled by knobs, they are buttons. Schiit seems to go out of their way to avoid using more than one knob. Due, perhaps, to their desire to keep the aesthetics as clean as possible. And in line with the minimalist zeitgeist. But if Jason should decide to include balance and tone controls (please, please), I believe these are best adjusted with knobs - just like volume.

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #12,233 of 150,850
  But if Jason should decide to include balance and tone controls (please, please), I believe these are best adjusted with knobs - just like volume.

I definitely agree with that even though I'm big on minimalistic design - as you said, when it comes to input and gain controls, etc. I'd much rather have buttons over knobs. Tone controls are a different story.

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #12,234 of 150,850

I definitely agree with that even though I'm big on minimalistic design - as you said, when it comes to input and gain controls, etc. I'd much rather have buttons over knobs. Tone controls are a different story.

One advantage of knobs is that it is possible to dial in that control very specifically. For example, a knob can be anywhere between two numbers/levels while a button only let's you adjust from 1 to 2.

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #12,235 of 150,850

OK, I should have said multi-knob-phobia. Of course the amps have a volume knob. But on Rag, for example, where source and gain selection could have been controlled by knobs, they are buttons. Schiit seems to go out of their way to avoid using more than one knob. Due, perhaps, to their desire to keep the aesthetics as clean as possible. And in line with the minimalist zeitgeist. But if Jason should decide to include balance and tone controls (please, please), I believe these are best adjusted with knobs - just like volume.

Having not played with a Rag, I'm *guessing* that the switch selects gain range.  Sources make sense.

I wouldn't want tone controls, mostly because they are such a compromise.  It's trying to fix a finesse problem with a hammer.

Balance makes more sense, but I haven't ever used a balance to do anything other than compensate for a failing component.

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #12,236 of 150,850
Balance makes more sense, but I haven't ever used a balance to do anything other than compensate for a failing component.

Or when listening to a tape that was recorded on a misaligned machine or had faulty record or erase head.

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #12,237 of 150,850
Or when listening to a tape that was recorded on a misaligned machine or had faulty record or erase head.

Talking about fringe cases.

Aug 22, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #12,238 of 150,850
In General Power Amps in the 2 Channel World Have No Controls Except for a Power switch( Which of course will be in the Back). Volume, Balance,Tone and Source Switching and other controls live on the Pre amp. Unless it is an Integrated. It is probably not about Multi Knob Phobia in this case, Put the controls in the Preamp then add a remote so you can adjust all these things from your listening position and then dedicate all the real estate in the amp Chassis to Making things Clean and Loud.

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #12,239 of 150,850
  In General Power Amps in the 2 Channel World Have No Controls Except for a Power switch( Which of course will be in the Back). Volume, Balance,Tone and Source Switching and other controls live on the Pre amp. Unless it is an Integrated. It is probably not about Multi Knob Phobia in this case, Put the controls in the Preamp then add a remote so you can adjust all these things from your listening position and then dedicate all the real estate in the amp Chassis to Making things Clean and Loud.

I just installed an amp like this a couple weeks ago.  Very boring, does what it should and leaves the controls elsewhere.

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #12,240 of 150,850

Actually, I'd be really stoked to see bass and treble controls on the new pre-amp, along with a balance control. Do 'em digitally if you must, Jason (we know you have a knob phobia,
tongue.gif
) but give us control!

+1

I'm both olde skool AND just plain old.  I don't want tone controls or EQ or balance or VU meters (please god no) or anything other than volume on a good sounding box.  Keep it simple and make it sound good that's all I ask. 

Ditto.. Guess we have different definitions of old skool here.. 

Old skool. You know, when every amp had balance and tone controls as well as a tape loop or two. Sometimes even a "Loudness" or "Presence" button.

E.g. pretty much every Kenwood or Marantz, Sansui or Sanyo, Denon or Technics. Like these. Heck, even McIntoshes and Quads, Nakamichis and Parasounds, Luxman and Harmon Kardons had them. Even the beloved Dynaco PAT-4 had them, and you can't get much more old skool than that.

It was "middle" skool before they got rid of tone controls, your Krells and Audio Research, your Naims and Meridians, your conrad-johnsons and so on... they were too kool for skool.

The reality is, tone shaping and balance were a lot more important in those days, when speaker design was all over the place, and it was an easy way for "hi-end" hi-fi companies to differentiate themselves from mainstream stereo.

But in reality it still continues to be important even in these days of ruler-flat response gear. Anechoic chamber testing means even the wildest speaker designs (think Orb or Devialet, Linkwitz or Lampizator) can sound surprisingly "normal" but who lives in an anechoic chamber? Every one of us lives in a different kind of house, and even if we lived in identical army housing, we'd fill our houses with different stuff. The room has the most affect on the sound, and the way your speakers interact with the room is right up there; being able to tweak the tone and balance for YOUR room can be important. That's why pretty much all surround sound receivers come with some kind of room correction, and some of them do an amazing job.

Me? As I've said before: my integrated receiver (an Advent Model 300) has bass, treble, balance and mono. I don't use the mono switch, but the other three get tweaked on a regular basis - balance less so. But I adjust the tone controls at least a couple of times a week, depending on what I'm listening to. Some record producers/engineers just have way different tastes from mine, and it's good to be able to tone them down or punch them up when I want to. Or put the singer back in the center.

Hi-fi gear these days is AMAZING. The quality is HUUUUGE, to quote someone. The barrier to entry is low, and the difference between the very best and the good enough is the smallest it's ever been (I'm not talking the $$ difference here, but the quality of reproduction; the money is out of control...).

But our houses are full of more crap than ever, and the ability to tweak YOUR stereo for YOUR situation is as important as ever.

I shouldn't have to break out a MiniDSP and stick it between the pre-amp and the power-amp to do it. It should be a knob, right there on my gear.

One labelled "- Awesome-izer +" and the other "Turn Down The Suck" ... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back