Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 26, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #11,807 of 151,059

All good, plus too many others to mention.  It is just if it can reproduce several vocal soloists, three choirs, and a 104 piece orchestra (Mahler's 8th) - then it should really be amazing reproducing either Pink Floyd, Rush, The Who, the Stones, etc., etc., etc.!!

I agree that live recordings through an MB Dac takes on a whole new life.  Some of the BB King Live Recordings are that much better,  and one of my favorite is an unplugged recordings of some rock bands from the late 90's early 2000's Put together by a local Radio Station and a small recording studio in Connecticut, known mostly to people in the area. Some of the Tracks were really good when I first heard it over a decade ago but I never really understood how good it was until they passed through the Bimby. I have found however that tracks that I used to enjoy but have been mastered badly I cant listen to anymore. It is not that the MB makes it sound any worse but when compared to the better recordings it just shines the spotlight on the elephant in the room.

So I really love led Zeppelin but I've found that some of their stuff isn't mastered that well. Once I got my HD650S all the flaws started showing up and it's hard for me to listen to some of their songs.

Is the purpose of multibit is to be the ultimate in revealing details, including flaws?

I'm excited but also a bit worried to get my Mimby.

Maybe my Flac rips of Zeppelin aren't very good.

from what I've read over the years,I strongly feel like the purpose of the multibit is to let Baldr build stuff the way he likes. as most DS chipsets come with what is already the best possible design for the chipset's performances as suggested by the manufacturer who should know what he's talking about, if you want great fidelity, you follow the guide. Baldr is just not an Ikea kind of guy when it comes to making DACs I guess.
but almost any DAC tech can go beyond what's still left on those records or what the rest of our sound system can do.

ps: my DS chipset has more than 1bit, so I guess I've had a multibit DAC all along.
wink_face.gif

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #11,808 of 151,059
So I really love led Zeppelin but I've found that some of their stuff isn't mastered that well. Once I got my HD650S all the flaws started showing up and it's hard for me to listen to some of their songs.

Is the purpose of multibit is to be the ultimate in revealing details, including flaws?

I run into the same issue. At home I've got original pressings of 2,3,4,Hoh (an RL master at that), and PG along with the re-released masters for 1,2,3. Those all get played on a dual table with an AT cart. Nothing fancy but it does pretty well. In comparison to at work I've got both a spotify list and FLAC for the whole gambit of their releases. One of the tracks that I can only listen to on vinyl and not the FLAC anymore (sadly) is "since I've been loving you". FOR GODS SAKE BONHAM GREASE THAT FEKKING BASS PEDAL. I've also got a mo-fi press of DSoTM and much like the digital recordings I've got of the same album, you can pick up on the tape splices....it takes some extra doing to pick it up on the mofi but its there. At the same time, some of the FLAC i've got of Holst, Tchaikovsky and the like are bar-none some of the most exquisite recordings because of that extra detail.

All depends on what the engineer did/had in mind when it was mastered i suppose and we'll have to take the good with the bad.

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #11,809 of 151,059

from what I've read over the years,I strongly feel like the purpose of the multibit is to let Baldr build stuff the way he likes.

I'm curious, have you listened to any of the Schiit MB DACs?

as most DS chipsets come with what is already the best possible design for the chipset's performances as suggested by the manufacturer who should know what he's talking about, if you want great fidelity, you follow the guide.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not like he's using those DS chipsets within the Schiit MB products, then trying to work around what he feels are the chipset's limitations. 

You seem to have an ax to grind with Baldr.

Listening to some of my CDs via the Schiit MB DACs has a revelation to me, as far as what exists in the recordings, that seemed to previously be hidden.

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #11,810 of 151,059

My High level understanding is the Multibit designed so that the data that goes in is not modified, so whats goes in is what comes out unlike the DS Schips which are us approximations on the output side.With the MB dacs Schiit Goes in and Schiit Goes out.  That's not the DAC's fault. Blame the Audio Engineer at the mixing board. I will say When I put on those tracks I know have had some magic hand working the control board it is damned near Bliss. In my opinion this is a Case were you want to start with the highest quality source file you can get.

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #11,811 of 151,059

My High level understanding is the Multibit designed so that the data that goes in is not modified, so whats goes in is what comes out unlike the DS Schips which are us approximations on the output side.With the MB dacs Schiit Goes in and Schiit Goes out.  That's not the DAC's fault. Blame the Audio Engineer at the mixing board. I will say When I put on those tracks I know have had some magic hand working the control board it is damned near Bliss. In my opinion this is a Case were you want to start with the highest quality source file you can get.

Yep, this is exactly my experience with my Bimby as well. The one downside I've found is that it is not forgiving with poorly mastered recordings or stuff designed to sound best on the "lowest common denominator" of equipment like portable stereos / car radios / etc. Like @bigro said though, when you pair a really well done recording (particularly "vintage" Redbook stuff done right) with multibit, it is pretty amazing how much detail you discover.

So interestingly enough, there are some poor recordings in my collection that I actually enjoy more when listening to my crappy bluetooth workout headphones when out on a walk than I do on my Bimby setup. For some bizarre reason, the extra distortion and homogenized presentation actually makes certain recordings more palatable...but I haven't found too many where that's the case.

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #11,812 of 151,059

All good, plus too many others to mention.  It is just if it can reproduce several vocal soloists, three choirs, and a 104 piece orchestra (Mahler's 8th) - then it should really be amazing reproducing either Pink Floyd, Rush, The Who, the Stones, etc., etc., etc.!!

Amen to that! And I'm not even religious, not the teeniest tiniest bit!

But if you had to name one... or three, Mahler recordings that, in your opinion, should give me religion, or the Schiits (take your pick), what would it/they be?
Reference point would be great orchestra/conductor... and concert hall, of course, dead-center orchestra seating, +/- 10 row depending on size of orchestra/width of stage.
Of course, no one gives a schiit about the 'near-perfect vantage point' of a good hall, usual approach being dropping multiple mics overhead with subsequent mixing. Like having a giant ear over the orchestra that can magically tune into any section at the appropriate moment. But that's another story.
Any favorites or recommendations, or recommendations with reservations?

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #11,813 of 151,059
I listen to everything from Vivaldi to The Circle Jerks and from Coltrane to Soulfly.  Schiit MB DACs perform so well with all types of music that they have become the only DACs in my multiple systems, replacing some that cost many times what Yggdrasil costs.  I love them.  Not going back.

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #11,814 of 151,059
  I listen to everything from Vivaldi to The Circle Jerks and from Coltrane to Soulfly.  Schiit MB DACs perform so well with all types of music that they have become the only DACs in my multiple systems, replacing some that cost many times what Yggdrasil costs.  I love them.  Not going back.

My Poor Modi 2 U at work is in Danger of Getting Mimby'ed. Does the Modi 2 U sound Bad nope, but once you get a Proper taste of MB It hard to not have MB everywhere. 

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #11,815 of 151,059
Solti --

Kirsten Flagstad and George London make Rheingold unsurpassed, even with Kirsten so past her prime - from there it gets better, even though Beergut Nielson is not my favorite dramatic soprano, although she rises to the occasion for the Ride.  I have two sets of vinyl, as well as the early unremastered CD set, tape hiss and all.  I have seen all four operas once in LA, San Francisco, Bayreuth, and Seattle (the only place with a real bear and fire) twice under Jimmy Levine at the Met (overall, the best).

I find it difficult to do a little of anything.

Certainly it's the most beautiful recording, though hotter in Walküre has an unmistakable wobble to his voice. All told I prefer Böhm, and of course love Furtwängler, but Solti is sonically most thrilling. I like elements of the Karajan, though the conducting cannot compensate for the cast.

Jul 26, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #11,816 of 151,059

Yep, this is exactly my experience with my Bimby as well. The one downside I've found is that it is not forgiving with poorly mastered recordings or stuff designed to sound best on the "lowest common denominator" of equipment like portable stereos / car radios / etc. Like @bigro said though, when you pair a really well done recording (particularly "vintage" Redbook stuff done right) with multibit, it is pretty amazing how much detail you discover.

So interestingly enough, there are some poor recordings in my collection that I actually enjoy more when listening to my crappy bluetooth workout headphones when out on a walk than I do on my Bimby setup. For some bizarre reason, the extra distortion and homogenized presentation actually makes certain recordings more palatable...but I haven't found too many where that's the case.

That same stuff in a FLAC file is amazing.  And that has been my revelation as well.  80s recordings done with proper care just amaze.   I'm trying to hunt down those vintage CDs for ripping to FLAC.

Jul 26, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #11,817 of 151,059

You seem to have an ax to grind with Baldr.

Nah, @Castleofargh is one who opines differently than I from time to time.  There is nothing personal.  I am not a pure sound scientist, I believe that anecdotal narratives can form a basis for a search of measurable differences, and such anecdotal differences may be accepted as provisional.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 26, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #11,818 of 151,059
  Fire-related evacuation?  I hope you and yours are OK and that nothing irreplacable was lost.

Thanks for the concern!  All is OK - the evacuation was a pain in the ass, but it was a good exercise to realize where all of our important Schiit was.  1500 houses evacuated - 18 burned down.  It only lasted 21 hours.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 26, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #11,819 of 151,059

Amen to that! And I'm not even religious, not the teeniest tiniest bit!

But if you had to name one... or three, Mahler recordings that, in your opinion, should give me religion, or the Schiits (take your pick), what would it/they be?
Reference point would be great orchestra/conductor... and concert hall, of course, dead-center orchestra seating, +/- 10 row depending on size of orchestra/width of stage.
Of course, no one gives a schiit about the 'near-perfect vantage point' of a good hall, usual approach being dropping multiple mics overhead with subsequent mixing. Like having a giant ear over the orchestra that can magically tune into any section at the appropriate moment. But that's another story.
Any favorites or recommendations, or recommendations with reservations?

Not Baldr, but for Mahler 8, I like Kent Nagano/DSO Berlin on Harmonia Mundi for a recording with modern sound (available as multichannel SACD too if that's your thing). For vintage, the old Solti/CSO on Decca cannot be beat. They are both very different performances too, with the Nagano a bit more introverted and the Solti more in your face, so it's worth it to have both.

Jul 26, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #11,820 of 151,059
My jaw dropped when I first heard Beethoven Cello Sonata Nr. 4 (Daniel Muller-Schott & Angela Hewitt, Hyperion CDA67755) played via my Bimby. Before that I did not believe the instruments tonality in digital domain could be rendered to that degree of realism.  Now with the availability of Moby, music lovers no longer have to break the bank to enjoy the music bliss. Kudos to the great team of folks at Schiit to start a new era of DAC for which the music lovers around the world have long been waiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back