Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 26, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #11,821 of 152,611

Amen to that! And I'm not even religious, not the teeniest tiniest bit!

But if you had to name one... or three, Mahler recordings that, in your opinion, should give me religion, or the Schiits (take your pick), what would it/they be?
Reference point would be great orchestra/conductor... and concert hall, of course, dead-center orchestra seating, +/- 10 row depending on size of orchestra/width of stage.
Of course, no one gives a schiit about the 'near-perfect vantage point' of a good hall, usual approach being dropping multiple mics overhead with subsequent mixing. Like having a giant ear over the orchestra that can magically tune into any section at the appropriate moment. But that's another story.
Any favorites or recommendations, or recommendations with reservations?

Certainly it's the most beautiful recording, though hotter in Walküre has an unmistakable wobble to his voice. All told I prefer Böhm, and of course love Furtwängler, but Solti is sonically most thrilling. I like elements of the Karajan, though the conducting cannot compensate for the cast.

Not Baldr, but for Mahler 8, I like Kent Nagano/DSO Berlin on Harmonia Mundi for a recording with modern sound (available as multichannel SACD too if that's your thing). For vintage, the old Solti/CSO on Decca cannot be beat. They are both very different performances too, with the Nagano a bit more introverted and the Solti more in your face, so it's worth it to have both.

I could talk about which performances of various classical pieces I like forever, but it is OT here, so I will take it up on my own thread hopefully later today - I will get to it as soon as I finish a BOM I have to finish today, as well as various other catch up projects.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 26, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #11,824 of 152,611
  Not Baldr, but for Mahler 8, I like Kent Nagano/DSO Berlin on Harmonia Mundi for a recording with modern sound (available as multichannel SACD too if that's your thing). For vintage, the old Solti/CSO on Decca cannot be beat. They are both very different performances too, with the Nagano a bit more introverted and the Solti more in your face, so it's worth it to have both.

Thank you for the recommendations. Not familiar with the Nagano, Solti I may have, although not sure it's Decca. I'll check that. CD boxes/shelves are not orderly at the moment, plus have been trying to purchase hi-res versions in the last year or two.
The 8th is one I've not given enough time or effort to as a recording, it's huge! Tough one as a recording... but now with Gumby on the scene... time to revisit.

Jul 26, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #11,825 of 152,611
  I believe that anecdotal narratives can form a basis for a search of measurable differences, and such anecdotal differences may be accepted as provisional.

Amen to that. Anecdotal evidence has, among other things, evolutionary value. If anecdotal evidence is good enough for our survival and that of our ancestors (from hunting to gathering to driving), I sure do hope it's good enough for assessing something as inconsequential as audio gear, in something as inconsequential as a run-of-the-mill hobby. The forceful infusion of science in other hobbies like stamp collecting or gardening or even gaming would seem silly to many, obviously, so why would it be of such paramount importance in high-end audio?

Jul 26, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #11,826 of 152,611
  Amen to that. Anecdotal evidence has, among other things, evolutionary value. If anecdotal evidence is good enough for our survival and that of our ancestors (from hunting to gathering to driving), I sure do hope it's good enough for assessing something as inconsequential as audio gear, in something as inconsequential as a run-of-the-mill hobby. The forceful infusion of science in other hobbies like stamp collecting or gardening or even gaming would seem silly to many, obviously, so why would it be of such paramount importance in high-end audio?

Relying solely on anecdotal evidence is silly as well, otherwise we'd be content with the geocentric model of the world to this day. As they say - don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. And yeah, there is a lot of science involved into competitive gaming and gardening. If you're serious about it.

Jul 26, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #11,827 of 152,611
Jason: I keep being reminded of the Newport show, so how about an advert along the lines of "We could put a fancy case on and add a couple of zeros, but we wanted to go back to the old days when you didn't have to add a second mortgage to your house just to enjoy music with high-end gear."

Yeah really. I was quite repulsed by the announcement of the $145,000 priced headphone system that will be available for listening at CanJam London. 

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #11,829 of 152,611
  With $145,000 Your Can Buy  582.32 Mimbys 

Nah, something like 20 Yggys to make a proper DTS-X/Dolby Atmos surround sound system.  That leaves 100k for the room...

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #11,831 of 152,611
Yeah really. I was quite repulsed by the announcement of the $145,000 priced headphone system that will be available for listening at CanJam London. 

How come? There are crazy numbers everywhere you look, always have been, I don't know if this was the case in the US but I remember the outrage around here (and Europe in general) when Bugatti announced the Veyron was going to start at one and a half million dollars. I admittedly do not follow the supercar world too closely but as far as I'm aware its had hardly any impact when it comes to new releases by any other brand (inflation or a "sign of things to come").

Big numbers are always scary and alarming and tend to cause people to quickly react to them in different ways but if you look at it from afar and just have perspective I think you'll agree there's hardly a reason to be upset, angry or, in your case, repulsed. Where I live the minimum wage is less 400€ a month - whilst my setup is fairly modest compared to a lot of people around here I still have some parts of it that cost me around $1k, if you told me this would be the case 10 years ago I would've thought you were crazy. When I think about it without putting things into perspective it is absolutely ridiculous that I've spent upward of 5 grand on my audio system over the last couple years, it's silly given how many people are struggling around here and it makes me feel selfish but that's life right?

I got lucky is all, and I absolutely understand that some things are out of my reach and I am at peace with that, I find that frowning upon the new MSB line costing 150 grand is a waste of my time as well and unnecessary. I can't afford it, even if I could I most definitely would not buy it (I would buy the Orpheus though, for comparison's sake), doesn't bother me in the slightest, if anything I'm interested to find out how it pushes the boundaries of DACs and headphone sound in general. It won't impact my life for the worse in any way shape or form, nor will it impact yours I'm willing to guess.

Is the price tag outwordly? Yea. Is it worth that amount of money? I'm sure it isn't, but that's MSB's and its rich customers' affair, not mine. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I apologise for the offtopic, I just find this to be an interesting subject!

Edit: Not to mention there are kind gentlemen around such our Schiit-y heroes Mr. Moffat and Mr. Stoddard who take care of us mere earthlings the best way they possibly can, God's work right here!

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #11,832 of 152,611

I strongly feel like the purpose of the multibit is to let Baldr build stuff the way he likes. 

I am personally very happy that Mike Baldr can build stuff the way he likes.  It is, after all, his own company.  And, IMHO, the SQ is exceptional for the price.

I think that's what the venture is all about. Now there is a full range of DACs with both technologies available.  When the new ad hits the media, there will be a Schiit storm unlike any in the past.

Currently loving the sound from my GMB, and not looking back.  Looking forward.

Prosit All,
RCB

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #11,833 of 152,611

Wait till we get to the 2-channel products. They're gonna, well...schiit.

Hey Jason,

Any ETA on when that's gonna be happening?! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #11,834 of 152,611

I strongly feel like the purpose of the multibit is to let Baldr build stuff the way he likes. 

I am personally very happy that Mike Baldr can build stuff the way he likes.  It is, after all, his own company.  And, IMHO, the SQ is exceptional for the price.

I think that's what the venture is all about. Now there is a full range of DACs with both technologies available.  When the new ad hits the media, there will be a Schiit storm unlike any in the past.

Currently loving the sound from my GMB, and not looking back.  Looking forward.

Prosit All,
RCB

but of course. I rarely cry because people have more choices ^_^. it's usually a good thing for everybody to have more choice(except DSD, I'm a real hater for that one). my comment wasn't a critic about the tech, or about Baldr for that matter. merely what I felt was a fitting idea to go with his usual way of doing things. I didn't suspect that him having his very own personality was a trade secret
biggrin.gif

now on a personal level, I don't understand why a delta sigma couldn't be just as transparent as anything else, so I would like to see more objective data. and less super wild feedbacks where I feel like I should contact the pope and tell him about the last miracle witnessed on headfi. but that has little to do with Shiit as they do make some efforts to avoid weird claims about their devices. sadly the same can't be said for some of the fans
ph34r.gif

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #11,835 of 152,611

but of course. I rarely cry because people have more choices ^_^. it's usually a good thing for everybody to have more choice(except DSD, I'm a real hater for that one). my comment wasn't a critic about the tech, or about Baldr for that matter. merely what I felt was a fitting idea to go with his usual way of doing things. I didn't suspect that him having his very own personality was a trade secret
biggrin.gif

now on a personal level, I don't understand why a delta sigma couldn't be just as transparent as anything else, so I would like to see more objective data. and less super wild feedbacks where I feel like I should contact the pope and tell him about the last miracle witnessed on headfi. but that has little to do with Shiit as they do make some efforts to avoid weird claims about their devices. sadly the same can't be said for some of the fans
ph34r.gif

Me too.  I think the question of the DS vs. MB is very interesting.
Thanks for your reply, friend.

Cheers,
RCB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back