Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 8, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #10,996 of 149,848
Google EA MicroOnes and you should get product page. I'm on it right now but can't link because I'm on tablet.

I just checked their website and it's listed at $4,000.00 now and I forgot. When it first came out it was $2,000.00 including stands and at that price it was best bargain in audio, period.

I see some are being sold now and then on Audiogon used though.

Check Audiogon and whatsbestforum.com user reviews and you see people absolutely going nuts over these speakers when it first came out. I had to hear it and when I heard it, I knew it was no hype. MTM ribbon tweeters and tight detailed bass down to 30hz for a bookshelf.

Thanks. Yes, I found the MicroOne, but I couldn't figure out if they were supposed to be different from the MMMicroOne... Their naming schemes are confusing.

PS Oh, never mind, it's the same: the spec docs list it as MMMicroOne.

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #10,997 of 149,848
I've always heard Maggie's described as the best value. Any thoughts?

I think the EA MicroOnes sound better than the Maggies. If you can get one for around $1,500.00 - $1,700.00 used it will be best speakers ever bought imo. The treble is extended ,detailed, and have lots of air and competes even with the big boys lik Magicos, Raidhos in general. It's also not to forward and in your face or too laid back, it's just right.

The bass goes deep for a bookshelf and hits when it's supposed to and detailed as well.

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #10,998 of 149,848

I admit to being 63... and too deaf to hear it any longer. In six months, the frequency response of my ears has plummeted. i can't even hear the kitchen timer, so I think I can take super-tweater off the wish list.

Well, hey ho... i can still hear some of the music, and at least I've finished spending on this stuff, even if I haven't given up all the forums yet

cool.gif

Couple months off 68, or, is that 34 for the 2nd time.

or, 17 for the 4th time, yep, that's it.........  
gs1000.gif

I am 52 and the quest for the best high end audio to my humble ears, is never ending. Us audacious Audiophiles need things we do not have and have things we no longer need...and this cycle can be unevenly distributed and lead to potential Audiophile unhappiness lol. A wise Audiophile learns to appreciate what one has and that magical moment of timeless enjoyment of the gear. Good luck on your Audiophile dream quest.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm taking @reddog advice as my ears get more and more humble because I continue to have those magical moments and thinking about my age like @wink.  I've wondered whether testing my awareness of variations at different frequencies by changing EQ parameters could serve as a rough indicator of what I can hear these days and your comment about the kitchen timer, @Thad-E-Ginathom reminded me of that.  The three of you have a ton of combined experience. Does anyone have any thoughts about that?  On one hand the less I know about the reality may protect my listening enjoyment from preoccupations about things I can't change, but on the other I am always curious and so far have been able to accept the the evidence about declining hearing.

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #10,999 of 149,848

I've always heard Maggie's described as the best value. Any thoughts?

I think the EA MicroOnes sound better than the Maggies. If you can get one for around $1,500.00 - $1,700.00 used it will be best speakers ever bought imo. The treble is extended ,detailed, and have lots of air and competes even with the big boys lik Magicos, Raidhos in general trble-wise. It's also not to forward and in your face or too laid back, it's just right.

The bass goes deep for a bookshelf and hits when it's supposed to and detailed as well.

I worked for a Maggie dealer 20-25 years ago, and have owned 4 different pairs over the years. If you like what Maggies do then it's hard to find a box speaker that does "that" without spending heaps more cash. Not everyone likes the Magneplanar sound. They aren't as versatile with placement as many other speakers, and they need a decent amp, but still sound pretty enchanting with only a decent amp.

The Magneplanar MMGs are an unbelievable deal, as are most of their speakers, especially the lower half of the line. But you have to hear them to know if they're right for you.

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #11,000 of 149,848
  I'm taking @reddog advice as my ears get more and more humble because I continue to have those magical moments and thinking about my age like @wink.  I've wondered whether testing my awareness of variations at different frequencies by changing EQ parameters could serve as a rough indicator of what I can hear these days and your comment about the kitchen timer, @Thad-E-Ginathom reminded me of that.  The three of you have a ton of combined experience. Does anyone have any thoughts about that?  On one hand the less I know about the reality may protect my listening enjoyment from preoccupations about things I can't change, but on the other I am always curious and so far have been able to accept the the evidence about declining hearing.

I bet that there are at least a few "golden-eared" audiophiles talking about the potential of sounds over 20kHz who would be rudely shocked by an audiogram. My hearing has taken an all-too-noticeable dip in about five months, but it hasn't always been like that: what you hear is what you hear. You don't notice that it is a little different today from what it was yesterday. You never notice the sounds that you don't hear at all (unless it's the kitchen timer), you just don't know that they are there. I found that, even in music I know well, the mind forgets and adjusts. A little EQ reminds one of the tinkly stuff up high.

On the other hand, there are many, audiophiles or not, that truly maintain decent hearing into really old age. They may be the ones that didn't go out to over-loud rock concerts in their youth, and didn't work in over-loud environments without protection, and didn't turn the volume up to eleven at home. But, just as there are smokers that live to over a hundred, so there will be some of those people who really shouldn't be able to hear anything, but do, over a fairly normal frequency range. There are no absolute blacks and whites in these arguments, but there is the common sense of taking reasonable care.

A friend of mine, even though she comes from a region of India where they sometimes take a little food with their chilli, once told me, "I don't see the point in eating food that hurts." So why do we listen to music that hurts?

So, youngsters: don't do that, right? And give me a shout when Schiit starts making affordable hearing aids for audiophiles!

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #11,001 of 149,848
Hey all,

I may or may not have a chapter by the end of the week, so I thought I'd give a little better summary of what happened at Newport, our thoughts on speakers, and what's coming. 

First, the reason there are fewer chapters is that I'm BUSY. There are a LOT of prototypes flying around the shop at the moment (not literally--we're not going to suddenly start making drones), and some of them are pretty complex. And some of them will be a big surprise (beyond what I've hinted at.) So I'm more than usually occupied with testing, debugging, refining, etc. 

With respect to the show, or TheShow, I'm glad we went. For the one day I was there, I noticed several things:

1. Our room: always packed. Other rooms on the floor: not so much. Could this be because our system was 1/10 to 1/20 the price of the others? Yeah, there you go. To the other guys ignoring the elephant in the room: that's a hint.

2. People seemed genuinely surprised that Schiit could "behave" and present well, like a normal audio company. About 99.9% of this I have to credit to Jim Salk, who manned the playlist through his own streamer. 

3. Our room sounded amazing--easily in the top 10 rooms I heard, ever. This, despite the fact it was NOT covered in acoustic foam, bass traps, and other, more, ahem, "physically improbable, but overpriced" tuning devices. Again, the credit here is to the Salk speakers, which seem to be very forgiving in terms of setup. We're getting a set for the listening room at Schiit (yes, we're adding a dedicated listening room, as we continue to expand.)

4. The other busy rooms also skewed inexpensive--try to get into the Elac room...it was impossible. Again, hint hint.

5. Among the 2-channel crowd, only about 50% know who we are...which isn't really surprising, since we've concentrated mainly on headphone and desktop stuff until now.

So yes, it was very well worth going, and I'm looking forward to the next show, where we can (hopefully) rectify the inequity between electronics cost and speaker cost. The Salk speakers were $2900. Our stack was $4000. I'd much rather see the stack at a lower cost than the speakers. Much lower. And with more power. A lot more power. And a remote. Yes, those are all hints.

At the same time, if anyone thinks we're taking our eye off the ball on the desktop side, weeeeeelllllll...I'd say, there's still a whole summer--and a lot of year--left.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 8, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #11,002 of 149,848
  5. Among the 2-channel crowd, only about 50% know who we are...which isn't really surprising, since we've concentrated mainly on headphone and desktop stuff until now.

That's actually pretty decent, isn't it?

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #11,003 of 149,848
Looking forward to Schiit's end game preamp, Jason. Exactly what I need in my setup! 

Even at $4000 for the stack, its already a steal if it competes well with other 'high end' products. No need to cut down on quality parts.

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #11,004 of 149,848

Mr.CrazyChilli,

MG2 is my all-time favorite loudspeaker.   I've owned tons of stuff, as a Dealer taking in Trades I picked-up 4 Pair of MG2s, loved em.  I'll own a Factory Fresh Pair when I move to Florida. I was never a Magnapan Dealer.   

Tony in Michigan

ps.  I'll own a few pairs of Genelecs, too.  

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #11,006 of 149,848
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard /img/forum/go_quote.gif

2. People seemed genuinely surprised that Schiit could "behave" and present well, like a normal audio company. About 99.9% of this I have to credit to Jim Salk, who manned the playlist through his own streamer. 

As long as you guys didn't resort to selling "free-range unobtainium-copper alloy" power cords as the solution for all the worlds problems (not least of which is that arcing insulator three poles down from your house), it's all good.
smile_phones.gif

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #11,007 of 149,848

Gimme a day ...

I have a pair of Ascend Horizon w/RAAL being delivered tomorrow and intend to drive them with my Ragnarok. I'm replacing 89db efficient speakers with 92. We'll see; but I think it will be fine.

It'll be insanely awesome is what I'm betting. I was just thinking for a big room with a bunch of people, but at home by yourself I'm sure it'll be crazy good. I'm just used to using my towers and Horizon in a big open room with a lot of power. It's addicting.

Insanely awesome, it is. For the first time ever, my speakers sound as good as my headphones. I'm not sure if the Ascends make the Ragnarok sound good or if it's the other way around; but I'll take it, regardless.

Towers and rear ports don't work in my listening room. The Horizons are behemoths for a "bookshelf; but they work well for me.

1. Our room: always packed. Other rooms on the floor: not so much. Could this be because our system was 1/10 to 1/20 the price of the others? Yeah, there you go. To the other guys ignoring the elephant in the room: that's a hint.

What do supermodels and Ferraris have in common?  The chance of bringing either home with you are equally nonexistent. The same applies to most audio shows that I've attended. 

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #11,008 of 149,848

Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As long as you guys didn't resort to selling "free-range unobtainium-copper alloy" power cords as the solution for all the worlds problems (not least of which is that arcing insulator three poles down from your house), it's all good.
smile_phones.gif

If I was in charge of the playlist, there would have been some Motorhead in there. And probably some audiophile yodeling. Just to keep it memorable in true Schiit form.

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #11,009 of 149,848

Jim was great to work with, the streamer was a nice touch with flawless performance all weekend.

Jun 8, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #11,010 of 149,848

Mr.Crazychilli, 

Thanks for the PM about Magnapan and motor scooters. 

I'll own something Magnapan ( something like the mid-level MG2 ) and a motor scooter although I'll need clearance from the 55+ community elders ( they won't tolerate anything close to a Harley, for god's sake ).

I'm heading to Florida for quality of life, to stretch out and reeeeelaxxxx!  

But I'll build an FM Radio Station ( Radio Free Venice ) to play commercial free music.  I'll donate it to the City and have local retiree's maintain it ( along with me, of course ). We'll have an iMac sourcing the different Gerns : Classical on Sunday, Pop on Monday, etc. maybe even have a "requests" capability and possibly a Retired doing DJ Shows. No Advertising except local announcements about Church doin's, garage sale announcements, grand children being born, that sort of thing, all FREE!  88.3 on the dial 

I'm also planning a Hobie Kayak for the Intercostal, a nice woodworking hobby shop, bicycling 20 miles per day and plenty of swimming in the Salt Water Pool.  

I'll have year-round open house for visiting friends.  

I'll set up a small bicycle maintenance shop for neighbors ( I owned a bicycle accessories company so I know how and can repair most bicycles. ) 

I'll have to get used to Publix Grocery Stores. Hmm, they do have a Trader Joes in the next town,  I should be OK on this important supply-side!, plus they have a nice South East Asian restaurant ( sesame chicken, yum ).

Tony in Michigan

ps.  I'll have some adjusting for their lack of Snow, Ice, Cold Weather!  I'll no longer need Spring, Fall or Winter clothes, ouch, I'll use the Closet space for Audio Gear.  

What did I miss? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back