Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 6, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #10,966 of 152,597
  We were using the new Salk Song3s. Which sounded absolutely fantastic. I'm hoping that Salk wants to work with us for the speaker room at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. I was a little embarrassed that the electronics cost more than the speakers. Hopefully we can solve that for the next show...

(...though, hilariously, a lot of the listeners seemed to want to add a zero onto the end of all the prices—the total room cost was well less than $10K—but, with a room down the hall literally saying, "stunning value" and "bargain" in the same sentence as "$20k preamp," I guess $1700-$2900 components seem like a value meal.)

Hint to the other guys: $20K for a single component is NOT a bargain. Unless it's a friggin CAR. 

And you wonder why high end is dying? Like, duh!

I point I will certainly be making in my Show Report when it publishes. You and just a handful of other rooms showed what could be done for well under 10K. I had never heard Salk speakers before, but that was a sweet sounding demo.

Jun 6, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #10,967 of 152,597
At a high-end show last year, I was talking to reps from a room that had very good sounding but very expensive speakers. I told them I was thinking about a nice pair of full range floor standing speakers in the $2000-2500 range. They wrinkled their brows and said there really aren't any such speakers at that price. Hah! I beg to differ.

Jun 6, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #10,968 of 152,597

I admit to being 63... and too deaf to hear it any longer. In six months, the frequency response of my ears has plummeted. i can't even hear the kitchen timer, so I think I can take super-tweater off the wish list.

Well, hey ho... i can still hear some of the music, and at least I've finished spending on this stuff, even if I haven't given up all the forums yet

cool.gif

That's when you start tuning your rig toward the un-modded HD800.  Properly driven, they can extend your hearing ability for many more years of pure enjoyment.  Take my word for it, or stop by LaVergne and try 'em out...you won't be disappointed :).  LOL

Cheers,
RCB

Jun 6, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #10,969 of 152,597
At a high-end show last year, I was talking to reps from a room that had very good sounding but very expensive speakers. I told them I was thinking about a nice pair of full range floor standing speakers in the $2000-2500 range. They wrinkled their brows and said there really aren't any such speakers at that price. Hah! I beg to differ.

Yep, for instance, KEF R700/R900 would be a great choice in that range.

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #10,970 of 152,597
Salk is a pretty small company so I bet they're going to be insanely busy for a while, their website won't even load for me right now. Another company that really needs more recognition, and is located in southern California, is Ascend Acoustics. I own the Sierra Towers and Horizon Center with RAAL tweeters and they're friggin' incredible in every way. They use slightly different versions than Salk does, but no one else offers the 70-20XRAM tweeter at the price they offer it for. The towers could probably use a little more than 50 watts, but if Schiit comes out with a 100 watt stereo amp next, I really hope they give Dave over at Ascend a call.

Edit: As the Ragnarok is not your typical amp and is honestly rated, I'm sure it would actually go great with the Sierra Towers.

Jun 6, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #10,971 of 152,597
  Salk is a pretty small company so I bet they're going to be insanely busy for a while, their website won't even load for me right now. Another company that really needs more recognition, and is located in southern California, is Ascend Acoustics. I own the Sierra Towers and Horizon Center with RAAL tweeters and they're friggin' incredible in every way. They use slightly different versions than Salk does, but no one else offers the 70-20XRAM tweeter at the price they offer it for. The towers could probably use a little more than 50 watts, but if Schiit comes out with a 100 watt stereo amp next, I really hope they give Dave over at Ascend a call.

Gimme a day ...

I have a pair of Ascend Horizon w/RAAL being delivered tomorrow and intend to drive them with my Ragnarok. I'm replacing 89db efficient speakers with 92. We'll see; but I think it will be fine.

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #10,972 of 152,597
  Gimme a day ...

I have a pair of Ascend Horizon w/RAAL being delivered tomorrow and intend to drive them with my Ragnarok. I'm replacing 89db efficient speakers with 92. We'll see; but I think it will be fine.

It'll be insanely awesome is what I'm betting. I was just thinking for a big room with a bunch of people, but at home by yourself I'm sure it'll be crazy good. I'm just used to using my towers and Horizon in a big open room with a lot of power. It's addicting.

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #10,973 of 152,597

If you want to hold on to your wallet, you don't want to listen to the KEF Reference 1s in comparison. Trust me.

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #10,975 of 152,597
(snip"stunning value" and "bargain" in the same sentence as "$20k preamp," I guess $1700-$2900 components seem like a value meal.)  
Hint to the other guys: $20K for a single component is NOT a bargain. Unless it's a friggin CAR. 

And you wonder why high end is dying? Like, duh!

Are you sure that was not Zimbabwean dollars...?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZIMBABWE-10-TRILLION-DOLLAR-2008-P-88-USED-CIRCULATED-IN-100-TRILLION-SERIES-/381607355990?hash=item58d9922656:g:aMQAAOSw1DtXHbvp

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #10,976 of 152,597
If you want to hold on to your wallet, you don't want to listen to the KEF Reference 1s in comparison. Trust me.

But that's whole another money ballpark...

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #10,978 of 152,597
Jun 7, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #10,979 of 152,597
Jun 7, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #10,980 of 152,597

Yep, those are among my candidates, as well as Salk. Haven't heard any Ascent speakers but I do like my Rhythmik F12SE sub which I bought via Ascend.
I heard the KEF Blade 2's last year and they had maybe the best imaging I've ever heard.
At $25,000 though, they'd better give me sex
and serve my meals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back