Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 9, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #11,026 of 152,548
  2. People seemed genuinely surprised that Schiit could "behave" and present well, like a normal audio company. About 99.9% of this I have to credit to Jim Salk, who manned the playlist through his own streamer. 

I don't get this! True, you have an unconventional approach, and a somewhat more human face than many audio companies, but you've never made any secret of being business men. Marketing is as business as it gets, for goodness sake! And your book, although it flies in the face of current, conventional "startup" wisdom (wisdom? ha ha!) could, and should, be a textbook in how to start and run a business.

5. Among the 2-channel crowd, only about 50% know who we are...which isn't really surprising, since we've concentrated mainly on headphone and desktop stuff until now.

I'm British, and I spend a lot of grammar-nazi time telling people that, apart from a handful of specific words meaning something different, there is not that much difference between British English and American English, but sometimes you Americans are a little, err... strange.

2-channel crowd? So how many channels do headphones have? Err, right: two.  And, like listening with speakers, it is called stereo.

I actually had to ask a friend who has spent time in USA, what are these people on about with their 2-channel? Do they mean 2-channel with speakers? Yes, he told me.

I get that what you guys mean is not multi-channel theatre stuff: that makes sense. But 2-channel meaning not headphones makes no sense whatsoever. 

Jun 9, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #11,027 of 152,548
  I get that what you guys mean is not multi-channel theatre stuff: that makes sense. But 2-channel meaning not headphones makes no sense whatsoever.

True, but it's convention. These things happen in parlance. And it's not like you need to differentiate 2-channel headphones from other stuff: How many multi-channel headphones have you ever seen?

And if we get really pedantic, then multi-channel doesn't work very well either: last I checked 2 indicated a plurality, so multichannel would comprise 2-channel as well...

Jun 9, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #11,028 of 152,548
Back in 1994 or so, I bought a pair of B&W DM601s which were about $300 new. I still have these in a 2ch system for the television. Several years ago I worked for an audio manufacturer and brought home an amp, preamp, and CD player for the weekend that had a combined retail price of about $15K and hooked them up to the little B&Ws on stands. The sound was incredible. The bass was solid and sounded more like a floor standing speaker. Even my wife noticed and couldn't believe the difference.

I'm not advocating that this speakers to electronics ratio is a sensible approach to system design, but it proved to me that the upstream components in a system make a big difference. You can create a magnificent sounding system with very modest speakers and great electronics.

Jun 9, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #11,029 of 152,548
I don't get this! True, you have an unconventional approach, and a somewhat more human face than many audio companies, but you've never made any secret of being business men. Marketing is as business as it gets, for goodness sake! And your book, although it flies in the face of current, conventional "startup" wisdom (wisdom? ha ha!) could, and should, be a textbook in how to start and run a business.

I'm British, and I spend a lot of grammar-nazi time telling people that, apart from a handful of specific words meaning something different, there is not that much difference between British English and American English, but sometimes you Americans are a little, err... strange.

2-channel crowd? So how many channels do headphones have? Err, right: two.  And, like listening with speakers, it is called stereo.

I actually had to ask a friend who has spent time in USA, what are these people on about with their 2-channel? Do they mean 2-channel with speakers? Yes, he told me.

cmon man, sometimes you gotta read between the lines. It's clear to prabably a lot of people he meant stereo 2 channel speakers and didn't mean no offense to headphone crowd either. In general no one refers to headphone as 2 channel crowd, everyone knows when someone says 2 channel it's speaker stereo setup. Some people sometimes..

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #11,030 of 152,548

cmon man, sometimes you gotta read between the lines. It's clear to prabably a lot of people he meant stereo 2 channel speakers and didn't mean no offense to headphone crowd either. In general no one refers to headphone as 2 channel crowd, everyone knows when someone says 2 channel it's speaker stereo setup. Some people sometimes..

True dat

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #11,031 of 152,548
I keep finding a number of interesting topics emerge out of this thread, and those of the MJ2 and Gumby.  I thought I might be looking at a return to speakers sometime in the distant future, having just transitioned to HPs.  But this topic of speakers and several suggestions that have come through PMs have me thinking about them again, especially since my Gumby/MJ2 combo is right here with outputs the can certainly run active speakers.

I am now just learning about high-sensitivity speakers and how near field versions might be driven adequately by the MJ2, particularly single-driver speakers, powered straight out of the headphone outputs with balanced or single ended adapters that convert to speaker terminal connectors. 

Discovering Schiit products here that work wonderfully for me has also re-focused me on products that are made in the US as completely as possible given the components.  Two US makers of high sensitivity speakers are Blumenstein with the Orca speakers and Omega with the Super 3 desktop speakers.  

Does anyone have any experience with these or other high sensitivity speakers to consider? I am not concerned about filling a room but having sweet sound with as much sound stage as I can get at reasonable volumes within a meter give or take.

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #11,032 of 152,548
As a "two-channel" listener I'll throw in my 2 cents: stand-mounted monitors with a pair of subs (one per channel, not run in mono), provides excellent value and sound. Monitors give precise imaging, detail, and transparency- all at a high-value price. Good self-powered subwoofers will "pressurize" the room with bass, and provide the low frequency sound that the monitors cannot. Much of the cost of building a speaker is the cabinet and drivers for low frequency reproduction, which then requires lot's of power from the amplifier, adding to the cost of the electronics. Modern subwoofers utilize Class D amplifiers built-in, which work very well is this specific application, and provide 200, 500, 1000, even 1500 watts of peak power per subwoofer, the kind of power needed for clean and accurate bass reproduction. Try buying that kind of power in a separate amplifier, and still having a roof overhead! Good monitors can be had for a few hundred dollars a pair, good subs start reasonably as well. And they can be upgraded separately, another value advantage. I run my system with a Ragnarok, using the SE pre-outs to my subs, and I have a system I am very happy listening to. Of course, Jason keeps talking about dedicated 2-channel gear, with remote volume, and maybe even a balance control?

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #11,033 of 152,548

Mr.Thad-E-Ginathom,

Grammer-nazi,  reallllllly now.   

2-Channel probably does not suggest 2-Channel with a Subwoofer as in 2.1, which is probably a Computer based desk-top system.   A small pair of Elac speakers with a Subwoofer is still a 2-Channel rig in Audiophile parlance.    

You probably shouldn't expect, or hope, to find linguistic accuracy in a subjective area like this, it's more of a field of piffel, ripe for a word-meaning person to have fun with.  

Do woffers actually woof?, lets hope not!   Do tubes have a nice Round sound? or do they sound a bit loose and flabby?  

I hope you contribute your wordy observations in future posts, great fun seems on offer, a pleasant diversion from the dire seriousness about to desend upon us with the advent of MQA and it's attendant Press ponderings. 

Tony in far-away Michigan

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #11,034 of 152,548
2-channel means stereo listening in a room with speakers, and not with headphones.  It always has.  Get over yourself.

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #11,035 of 152,548

For "everybody," read, "Some people in America." I only came across this recently, and I was confused. I am now unconfused.
  2-Channel probably does not suggest 2-Channel with a Subwoofer as in 2.1, which is probably a Computer based desk-top system.   A small pair of Elac speakers with a Subwoofer is still a 2-Channel rig in Audiophile parlance.    

It is, but although people might mention 2.1 for those desktop systems where the speakers don't work well enough by themselves, it is all stereo.
  Do woffers actually woof?

I love that idea!

And I suspect that some of them do!

I hope you contribute your wordy observations in future posts, great fun seems on offer, a pleasant diversion from the dire seriousness about to desend upon us with the advent of MQA and it's attendant Press ponderings. 

Cheers Tony! The audiophile world is full of nonsense, and full of people seeking to make money out of the gullible. I really do agree that we should laugh more.

Quote:
  2-channel means stereo listening in a room with speakers, and not with headphones.  It always has.  Get over yourself.

The rest of the world is not America: get over yourselves!  Bus seriously, read that with a smile, because I got over it. I got an explanation. It is not how the Brits, especially audiophiles, talk about it: we like to use the word "stereo" which, as pointed out, may consist of more than two speakers, but is still firmly two channels

Sorry for the diversion...

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #11,036 of 152,548

For "everybody," read, "Some people in America." I only came across this recently, and I was confused. I am now unconfused.

It is, but although people might mention 2.1 for those desktop systems where the speakers don't work well enough by themselves, it is all stereo.
 Do woffers actually woof?

I love that idea!

And I suspect that some of them do!

Cheers Tony! The audiophile world is full of nonsense, and full of people seeking to make money out of the gullible. I really do agree that we should laugh more.

Quote:

The rest of the world is not America: get over yourselves!  Bus seriously, read that with a smile, because I got over it. I got an explanation. It is not how the Brits, especially audiophiles, talk about it: we like to use the word "stereo" which, as pointed out, may consist of more than two speakers, but is still firmly two channels

Sorry for the diversion...

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/UCbcEKTmwuA[/VIDEO]

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #11,037 of 152,548
I guess some people in here forgot America isn't the only country on the entire planet but sadly that happens in America a lot. On behalf of the self-absorbed United States, I apologize.

I just added my Modi 2U to my living room TV/speaker setup and shows, movies and games all sound significantly better. Sadly found out the Modi is not compatible with cable boxes (well, at least the one I use, can't output PCM) and I can't get a signal using the digital out on my TV either. I do have it hooked up to my PS4 optical out though, which is mostly what I use anyway. With the addition of the Modi I lost the ability to remotely control volume. The amp I'm using is probably around 20-30 years old and I figured it's time for a switch. Was going to go for a Marantz integrated but I'll wait to see what Schiit has on offer in the near future. The remote is very good news!

Jun 9, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #11,038 of 152,548
Getting back on/off topic, us antipodeans side with those limeys when it comes to the Queen's English.

Let's face it.
We call 'em 4WD, the yanks call 'em 4X4.
We say petrol/petroleum, they say gas/gasoline.
We say flat, they say condominium.
We say financial, they say fiduciary.
We say solder, they say soder.
We say aluminium, they say aluminum.
We say mobile phone, they say cellphone.
We say gaol, they say jail.
ad hoc, ad addendum, ad nauseum, ad infinitum

That's not even mentioning (but, what the heck, I will) the Americam billion is only a thousand millions whereas the British billion is the more logical million millions.

Need I go on..?

Jun 9, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #11,039 of 152,548
  That's not even mentioning (but, what the heck, I will) the Americam billion is only a thousand millions whereas the British billion is the more logical million millions.

That is actually not entirely true.

billion is a number with two distinct definitions:

1. 1,000,000,000, i.e. one thousand million, or 109 (ten to the ninth power), as defined on the short scale. This is now generally the meaning in both British and American English.
  2. 1,000,000,000,000, i.e. one million million, or 1012 (ten to the twelfth power), as defined on the long scale. This is one thousand times larger than the short scale billion, and equivalent to the short scale trillion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billion

Jun 9, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #11,040 of 152,548
Originally Posted by Ableza /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What do supermodels and Ferraris have in common?  The chance of bringing either home with you are equally nonexistent. The same applies to most audio shows that I've attended. 

I thought the correct answer was "it takes a large bank account to get into them."

Or it takes superior driving skills to bring out the best in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back