Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 25, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #10,771 of 150,720
  Another format change incoming, wow. I can't even hear the difference between 320 mp3 and various lossless formats on many albums so I'll continue to download from Bandcamp (where you still get FLAC files available for download) and give direct to artists rather than the pennies they would earn from my listening on a streaming service. Higher quality streams are really approaching the point of diminishing returns here.

I forgot to mention Bandcamp. Holy moly, I am getting old!

But yes, thanks for bringing this up. If you want to support the artist directly--and get FLAC--go to Bandcamp!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 25, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #10,772 of 150,720

But yes, thanks for bringing this up. If you want to support the artist directly--and get FLAC--go to Bandcamp!

It's not as popular but definitely my favorite place to go for music. I own the files, can go back to my collection and re-download them in a variety of formats, and the band generally sees more money, depending on label arrangements and all that.

Plus you can still stream your collection from the app! It's not as cheap as dedicated streaming subscriptions but I like having ownership of the music and the added flexibility that comes with it.

Now if Schiit is looking at making a battery powered amp/DAC for mobile use, I'll definitely be interested. As far as new streaming tech and formats, it seems very interesting and I applaud Schiit for doing their homework, but it's just not applicable to me.

I'm 24 and already resisting change... I thought I had more time.....

May 25, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #10,773 of 150,720

Bandcamp is fantastic.  My rate of music purchasing went up considerably when I found out about that place last year.  They even sell LPs and cassettes! 

May 25, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #10,775 of 150,720
I am happy that you speak about bandcamp. The rare place where I buy some music. Why ? Because I listen to music that is not easy to find. I only find it on this site. I speak about some berlin school electronic music.

May 25, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #10,776 of 150,720
 Oh my goodness, the vaults are gonna open wide!

Actually this is the main problem with High Res.

If you are recording a new album, then the highest practical resolution is best.

However, for all those classics of the 20th Century, the quality has been going down rather than up.

When listening using a Schiit Multibit DAC and Mike's Burrito Filter, one can hear that there is far more quality deterioration in new remasters - due to master tape aging and wear, than there is improvement due to High Res.  (For example, the recent 24/192 of 1969's "CSN" on Pono sounds like crap in comparison to the original Barry Diament mastered 16/.44.1 CD.)

And this is one of the problems with streaming of "vault" releases - they likely use the most recent, dull sounding remaster.  High Res or MQA won't help those releases.

May 25, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #10,778 of 150,720
  Instead of everyone asking “when’re you gonna support DSD,” it’s changed to “when’re you gonna support MQA?” With the same level of hyperventilating and implied-“I ain’t gonna buy unless you absolutely guarantee you’ll support this format, even though there ain’t really no content for it yet.”

Great post! MQA - let's see. Stereophile/Absolute Sound waxing poetic of how wonderful the new format is - check. Proprietary format - check. Licensing fees - check. Have to buy all music again - check. (Tidal, you say? $20/month for music I don't own - no thanks.) Conclusion: Not interested. I take comfort in the fact that Schiit is focusing on making my current music library sound better - exhibit A being the DAC multibit upgrade offering.

May 25, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #10,779 of 150,720
  Actually this is the main problem with High Res.

If you are recording a new album, then the highest practical resolution is best.

However, for all those classics of the 20th Century, the quality has been going down rather than up.

When listening using a Schiit Multibit DAC and Mike's Burrito Filter, one can hear that there is far more quality deterioration in new remasters - due to master tape aging and wear, than there is improvement due to High Res.  (For example, the recent 24/192 of 1969's "CSN" on Pono sounds like crap in comparison to the original Barry Diament mastered 16/.44.1 CD.)

And this is one of the problems with streaming of "vault" releases - they likely use the most recent, dull sounding remaster.  High Res or MQA won't help those releases.

Good point. The quality of the original recording and mastering are almost infinitely more important than the final format the recording is in.

A well recorded, mixed and mastered album at 256kbps vbr will always sound better than an album with average or poor production but encoded at 24/192 or DSD. Like you said, with older releases where the original is a physical piece of media, those won't maintain the same quality forever.

May 25, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #10,780 of 150,720

So, here’s a recipe for a typical WiFi streamer:

1. One small Linux-capable computer (Raspberry Pi, CuBox, Beaglebone, etc)
  2. One audio OS (Volumio, Rune Audio, I’m sure there are others…)
  3. Some kinda storage (usually an SD card or micro SD card)
  4. Some kinda power supply
  5. If you want to get fancy, some kinda case

Get your credit-card computer, download the OS, stick it on an SD card, install it on the computer, set it up on your WiFi network, plug it into your DAC, and control it via its web interface from your tablet or phone. Done.

Total cost? Under $100, easy.

And you can add fancy audio stuff, if you’d like. Add a SPDIF output. Or add a whole DAC, if you don’t already have one.

The point is, WiFi streaming is really taking off, and if you don’t feel like having a computer sitting atop your audio system, it’s not difficult to have a setup where it doesn’t matter where your music is, and you can control everything via a tablet or phone. With the low cost of tablets these days, you could easily have a dedicated system for your listening room.

Thank you for putting some order on the whole digital hypefest. One comment: I totally agree with your take on small dedicated Linux-based streamers, that's the way I've gone and I'm happy with, but I'm less positive about WiFi. Even though I have an industrial-strength home network, including one of the best WiFi APs around (Unifi UAP-AC) centrally located in a not-so-big house, my neighborhood is so electromagnetically noisy that I can't rely on WiFi for consistent streaming without dropouts. So, after much frustration I gave up on WiFi and wired all the house with CAT 6. Digital streaming bliss. I still use WiFi for the mobile devices/apps that control the streamers.

May 25, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #10,781 of 150,720
Totally agree with the sentiments about continuing to use files and to purchase music as directly from the creator as possible.  I have always had reservations about streaming services because of how they undermine the performer and the songwriter, but found them to be too convenient to ignore.  Rdio was our family favorite and I learned about most of the new music I know through family/friend following.  Sad to see it swallowed up, but even then what was most helpful was the offline feature to use from my phone because streaming was more vaporware than real in many instances.  The listening that feeds me the most, though, is quietly, at home in one place, with a rig that opens up the space and draws me in.  Ripped Cd's and FLAC have been the best sources.  If binaural recording could ever get a real foot-hold and the spaciousness of Amber Rubarth's recordings spread into a much larger range of recordings I would be most delighted, but it doesn't seem likely.

May 25, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #10,782 of 150,720
Sounds interesting Rudiger. Can you give some examples of albums you find/listen to?

Oh, with pleasure ! For example : Broekhuis & al, MorpheuszBerndt Kistenmacher, Gert Emmens...
Erhhh, a little OT, doesn't it ? PM me if you want some more.
Happy listening 
wink.gif

(Edit : I especially recommand "Walking" By Broekhuis & Al, and the sample of Gert Emmens to have an idea)

May 25, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #10,783 of 150,720
Speaking of wifi streaming to your DAC, can anybody point me in the direction to read up on that stuff? Would like to look into a DIY or maybe even commercial product to use. Would be better than using my loud gaming PC.

May 25, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #10,784 of 150,720
iv never heard of tidel or mqo ,is a streaming service and a new format sound like a con i cant see whats wrong with youtube .what id like to say and maybe this is a bit harsh but got a little mini mac recantly to play music and even though its well built and solid i hate this boold machine ,first of all theres apple which iv always disliked couse thay look so good but iv never been able to aford one and two cause they the biggest disgrace of a company iv ever come accross .they started in america still make the magority of there money there ,but have moved there tax to tax haven ireland ,manufacture notheing in there home country anymore its all make by slave in china or vetnam ,these are places where you cant read books ,everthing you read is cencored so the world you live in is one big lie,and i know when you read about the states things dont sound much better just look at those guys working in tysons chicken factory having to where nappys cause they cant go to the toilet ,but hay at least this stuff has a chance to come out in the states but in china , how many people comited suiside in apples factorys ,they just a f---- disgace of a company .but f------ bought a secondhand one and i could overlook all the slavery stuff if it was a great machine ,but its not thers just so many things that are wrong with or dont work at all with the operating system that i acctualy hate it and as soon as i got the time will add lynix and if that doesent work will find a cheap version of win 7 .anyway what id like to see from schiit is a small little cool portabe dac amp ,i was thinking of buying a little filo for 80 bucks but the thing is are the using slave labour to make these things and i dont know ,so ill wait for schiit

May 25, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #10,785 of 150,720
Sounds interesting Rudiger. Can you give some examples of albums you find/listen to?

Listened briefly to Rudiger's recommendations and I thought of the podcast Meet the Composer, nothing particular about the music, more the experience of a window into a whole different kind of music.  I've heard some amazing things on that podcast and this reminded me to look for those works on places like Bandcamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back