Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 10, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #7,262 of 150,081
  CD's are not analog. CD's are digital because data is stored as discreet values (flat or pit). On the other hand, the groove in an LP's is a continuous value and therefore analog. CD's and LP's are nothing alike other than being circular.

Must respectfully disagree. Until someone fires up the old electron microscope and shows me the 1s and 0s printed on the CD, I continue to insist the pits and lands are analogs, models of, representations of, things-that-must-be-interpreted-by-the-device-to-reconstitute-the digits that make up the data.

You seem to be asserting that analog must perforce be continuous; like the unbroken stream of electrical data captured on magnetic tape, or the groove of an LP. With which interpretation I also disagree.

Sadly, we are stuck with analogs in the form of electrical signals - whether they come directly from magnetic tape, are created mechanically from an LP, or are generated by a DAC. The format does not yet exist which can directly capture and perfectly reproduce the air pressure variations which make up glorious music. Perhaps if we resurrected Leonardo de Vinci, Nicola Tesla, Jules Verne, Stewart Hegemann, James B. Lansing and Doug Sax, some progress could be made. Might want to toss in Isaac Asimov, Werner von Braun and Phil Remington. And perhaps Freeman Dyson, who I believe is still alive (and I'm not certain about Hegemann, couldn't find an obit.)

BTW, LPs and CD are not only both circular, they are both flat (at least they're supposed to be,) made of environmentally-insensitive materials, have holes in the center and carry their information in spirals. Though CDs read from the middle out, while almost all LPs start at the outer edge.

I hereby declare myself Champion Nit-Picker of the Day, and will now go and enjoy a well-earned adult beverage.

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #7,263 of 150,081
Must respectfully disagree. Until someone fires up the old electron microscope and shows me the 1s and 0s printed on the CD, I continue to insist the pits and lands are analogs, models of, representations of, things-that-must-be-interpreted-by-the-device-to-reconstitute-the digits that make up the data.

You seem to be asserting that analog must perforce be continuous; like the unbroken stream of electrical data captured on magnetic tape, or the groove of an LP. With which interpretation I also disagree.

Sadly, we are stuck with analogs in the form of electrical signals - whether they come directly from magnetic tape, are created mechanically from an LP, or are generated by a DAC. The format does not yet exist which can directly capture and perfectly reproduce the air pressure variations which make up glorious music. Perhaps if we resurrected Leonardo de Vinci, Nicola Tesla, Jules Verne, Stewart Hegemann, James B. Lansing and Doug Sax, some progress could be made. Might want to toss in Isaac Asimov, Werner von Braun and Phil Remington. And perhaps Freeman Dyson, who I believe is still alive (and I'm not certain about Hegemann, couldn't find an obit.)

BTW, LPs and CD are not only both circular, they are both flat (at least they're supposed to be,) made of environmentally-insensitive materials, have holes in the center and carry their information in spirals. Though CDs read from the middle out, while almost all LPs start at the outer edge.

I hereby declare myself Champion Nit-Picker of the Day, and will now go and enjoy a well-earned adult beverage.
. Is this still being argued? They're digital. Literally the first line from the Wikipedia article for CDs proves you wrong. "Compact disc (CD) is a digital optical disc data storage format." Your assuming digital must be 1 and 0. It's not. It's on or off. Computers see this as 1 being on and 0 being off. CDs have pits and lands which a computer then interprets as 1 and 0. The 1 becomes an on electrical signal and 0 is the absence of electricity. Like super fast, complex Morris code.

P.S. The wiki article also has an electron microscope image of the pits and lands. So there you have you 1 and 0 image. *drops mic* Good night!

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #7,264 of 150,081
. Is this still being argued?

The same old argument by people who want, for some reason, to "claim" digital data as belonging to the analogue world.
We could send and receive the data by any means, even by voice (or pigeon!). That does not make it "analogue."
Sadly, it will go on being argued, though. Why? Vested interests! 

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #7,265 of 150,081
The same old argument by people who want, for some reason, to "claim" digital data as belonging to the analogue world.
We could send and receive the data by any means, even by voice (or pigeon!). That does not make it "analogue."
Sadly, it will go on being argued, though. Why? Vested interests! 

The same as married vs single.
There are some things that never change.

Aug 11, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #7,267 of 150,081
YAY,    Luddites of the world - UNITE.........      
L3000.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #7,268 of 150,081
. Is this still being argued? They're digital. Literally the first line from the Wikipedia article for CDs proves you wrong. "Compact disc (CD) is a digital optical disc data storage format." Your assuming digital must be 1 and 0. It's not. It's on or off. Computers see this as 1 being on and 0 being off. CDs have pits and lands which a computer then interprets as 1 and 0. The 1 becomes an on electrical signal and 0 is the absence of electricity. Like super fast, complex Morris code.

P.S. The wiki article also has an electron microscope image of the pits and lands. So there you have you 1 and 0 image. *drops mic* Good night!

exactly why there is only 2 options, pit and land. binary is also a base 2 number system. pit = 1 land = 0

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #7,270 of 150,081
  exactly why there is only 2 options, pit and land. binary is also a base 2 number system. pit = 1 land = 0

Not sure where the argument stands right now, but....I wish we used a ternary encoding scheme so we could stop discriminating on lonely #2. Its only use in binary is in the name.....so sad :frowning2:  

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #7,271 of 150,081
"Pit" and "Land" could be considered analogs of "1" and "0."  And also don't forget that the information on a CD is not the original program content, it is a Redbook-encoded version of the original content, which makes it an analog of the original content. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #7,272 of 150,081
  "Pit" and "Land" could be considered analogs of "1" and "0."  And also don't forget that the information on a CD is not the original program content, it is a Redbook-encoded version of the original content, which makes it an analog of the original content. 
biggrin.gif

Yea, encoding can get complicated. Try learning about the many forms of encoding that were used in the evolution of the internet/networking protocols. That was fun stuff back in college.

Back to the real topic though, What shall they release?

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #7,273 of 150,081
biggrin.gif

Its all about how it's interpreted. it's fed into a dac as 1's and 0's.

was this considered analog? http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/cards.html

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #7,274 of 150,081
Sadly, we are stuck with analogs in the form of electrical signals

All those electrical signals are made up of discrete electrical charges anyway...

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #7,275 of 150,081
  Its all about how it's interpreted. it's fed into a dac as 1's and 0's.

was this considered analog? http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/cards.html

Anything that is a physical representation of another thing is an analog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back