Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 23, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #6,841 of 150,445
  Perhaps, a change of diet is indicated.......     something with more protein would fix your ailment....    
wink_face.gif

If it don't stink ......    it may as well be plasticene.     
gs1000.gif

I eat listen only to the finest Schiit. 
tongue.gif

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #6,843 of 150,445
Product suggestion:

Pre-amp or integrated amp with analog bass management and Home Theater pass-through.

Not a lot to choose from out there right now - three offerings from Parasound (P7, P5, Halo Integrated) and ...?

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #6,844 of 150,445
I'm thinking some more diverse offerings wrt modules and a multi-function case to stuff it all in would be cool

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #6,848 of 150,445
Jun 26, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #6,850 of 150,445
  Product suggestion:

Pre-amp or integrated amp with analog bass management and Home Theater pass-through.

Not a lot to choose from out there right now - three offerings from Parasound (P7, P5, Halo Integrated) and ...?

+1

If Schiit came out with a Halo P5 prepro killer they would have a good chance of breaking into the home audio market.  Like you said, not many products with those features in this segment.  Of course, they'd have to offer a black chassis, so it may be a non-starter.  
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #6,852 of 150,445
  Now, let’s look at the “2 channel” world. In other words, speaker stuff. This may seem like the most likely thing we’d get into. But it isn’t. Why? Because we’re not super excited about it. One of the biggest things keeping us out of 2-channel is deciding what we want to do with speaker amps (if anything). Because, like it or not, they’re the foundation of a 2-channel system. Or does it matter? Could we just do preamps and call it a day? You tell me.

1. Speaker amps. The hardest thing here is doing something meaningful…for a non-eye-bleeding price. Do we shoot above Emotiva (in price) with big, heavy, impressive boxes filled nifty circlotron designs and intelligent amp management? Or do we try to go head-to-head with this behemoth price-wise, but with smaller and more efficient amplifier designs (think small Class AB, not D, think fan)? Neither approach is particularly appealing. Above Emotiva, there’s about ten billion small manufacturers, all with their own spin…and some with very compelling products. At Emotiva, well, there’s Emotiva. Would something that doesn’t look big and impressive sell well against their iron? I don’t know. If you have thoughts, I’ll be glad to listen.
  2. Preamps. Okay, now we’re talking. I can see opportunities for remote-controlled, relay-switched stepped attenuator preamps—passive, active, tube, etc. There’s a shortage of good affordable products at this price point, and I think we can really make some cool stuff here. But do they fly without amps? Is the remote a BLE module and smartphone app, or old-skool proprietary RF? (No thanks on IR, not huge fans here.) Still a lot of stuff to work out, but there’s something here. What would you like to see?

@Jason Stoddard

Clearly a bit late in this conversation, but wanted to still add my input for you folks at Schiit. IMO, "doing something meaningful" can be as simple as entering your own flavor of 2-channel gear into the market. There's nothing better for the consumer than competition. I think speaker amps derived from the Schiit philosophy is exactly what the market would really dig. Likewise, competing with Emotiva gear in terms of price might not be necessary, per se. What y'all need to compete with is in the performance department. A Schiit 2-channel amplifier, class A/B, with your design implementations in place to output anywhere from 50-200wpc, say for around $600-800, may just be the ticket...even if only in the lower figures of output power. This puts y'all in the competitive range with Emotiva, Parasound, Outlaw, etc. 

Now, obviously because Schiit DACs are standalone, and you'd likely be making standalone 2-channel power amps, the preamp part of the discussion would be necessary too. Then of course, there's the consideration for a lower-tiered integrated amp. If you think a meaningful Schiit integrated under $1000, made in the USA, is unrealistic, I say refer to the likes of the Dayens Audio Menuetto. Currently, that unit is on the top of my integrated amp wish list. But if there were comparable Schiit 2-channel pieces, I would highly reconsider.

Oh, and finally...yes please on implementing remotes. It may seem trivial, but if 2-channel is a legit target area for you, IMO it's a must.

Scott

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #6,854 of 150,445
My FIANCE[has no problem with my audio addiction, but if one thing would make her happier with it would be a remote with mute and volume control.

Key word, Fiance, your salad days are almost over my Man (points on identify the source:wink:).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back