Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 3, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #6,166 of 150,873

That's probably... a bit, inaccurate?  Who designs these DACs and amps — magic gnomes?

Oh wait, I bet it takes them all of five seconds to do that "work"... then they spend the rest of it laughing. 
rolleyes.gif

When you get to their level, you just put some likely components in a box, shake... and solder them where-ever they land.

And yes, it sounds great.

And no, this does not work for mere mortals.

wink_face.gif

May 3, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #6,167 of 150,873
it's actually quite the opposite.  When you get to a certain level, throwing things together that just work is no longer satisfying.  :)

May 3, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #6,168 of 150,873
  it's actually quite the opposite.  When you get to a certain level, throwing things together that just work is no longer satisfying.  :)

To your point, schiit.com/products/yggdrasil -> FAQ:
So why haven't the AD5791s been used before?
Because they require very, very special care and feeding. AD5791s aren't "bolt in and go" DACs, with pleasant little paint-by-numbers application notes for use with audio. They don't even accept normal digital audio formats. Managing their use with multiple input bit depths and sample rates is, well, challenging. And special care has to be taken with their output. Plus, people are more focused on silly claims like "32-bit" DACs and "Giga-Rate" DSD. "21 real bits," doesn't sound real sexy in that context.

May 3, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #6,172 of 150,873

I thought about doing an ad with a headline of "EVERYONE LOVES MIKE'S BIG DAC!" with various review quotes.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 3, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #6,174 of 150,873

I thought about doing an ad with a headline of "EVERYONE LOVES MIKE'S BIG DAC!" with various review quotes.

-I work for a supplier of subsea handling equipment. Once, many moons ago, we had made some kit which basically enabled our customers to do commercial work in deeper waters than ever before.

The T-shirts for the crew? 'My equipment goes deepest'. To this day, I still cannot fathom how a not-very-subtle pun like that could slip through the corporate marketing department.

I've worn mine only a couple of times. Specifically when I want to make my wife pretend she doesn't know me.

Works a charm.

May 3, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #6,175 of 150,873
I've just jumped into this schiit schiit world (small after all ?), ordered a Modi 2 uber to rationalise my rig.
Very small footprint, precisely the inputs I need, neat looking, affordable price. Maybe it'll tell me I don't need any Yggdrasil 
redface.gif

Ali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back