Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 6, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #6,197 of 150,480
Originally Posted by StanD 

Do you like cat food?

Originally Posted by Pirakaphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dog food is more my thing. I like crunchy food, not smushy crud. 

Good Schiit and headphones can last a long time.
I guess you don't go for canned Schiit.

May 6, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #6,201 of 150,480
Scotland Spirit outfits ,

These quaint distiller's treasure is in the barrels themselves, they can grind from a range of places.   If the Barrels are lost to a fire they have to buy more and loose a decade or so.  Not anything they haven't all had to cope with, they tend to help each other out when needed.   

I suppose that it's nice to learn of the money I sent you for my Asgard 2 ending up in Scotland instead of some Coke dealer's Convertible Merc., I've lived in the UK and approve of the place and it's people ( despite the fact that they speak a barely understandible version of English )

Glad you made it back home, ( I tend to linger for extra months when I visit ) .

Now, pleeeeeze, can you get back to work?  All of us seem overly anxious to see your redacted device!

Tony in Michigan

May 7, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #6,203 of 150,480
A fascinating read! I've never had Scotch Whiskey- just Jack Daniels. An odd flavor-but it grows on you. I'm going to have to try Scotch now.
I too am glad the money from my Lyr purchase of a few months ago has been used for such a fine purpose!
When ye get the boards in I'll be addin' a batch 2 Ragnarok ta me contribution

May 7, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #6,204 of 150,480
This has made me want to buy some Schiit product - laughing like a school girl as I write that - more than any single product review, because it confirms the intelligence behind the company! But then I teach this stuff everyday…. well done mate. Awesome article. And  congrats/good luck on your "disruptive" future! 

May 7, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #6,205 of 150,480
  2015 Chapter 8:
Reacting to Now vs Planning for the Future

When I was recently on vacation, I had an “engineering moment.”

Here’s how it went. A friend (Jetse) and I went up to Campbeltown, Scotland, to visit the Springbank distillery. This may be an obscure distillery even to ardent Scotch aficionados, since it is part of the smallest recognized whisky distilling region in Scotland.

Well this is just schiit... I have been running my tiny consulting firm hand to mouth for 7 years and it has caught up with me. Thanks for the explanation of the wakeup call I am receiving... in the business on the business, in the business on the business... Planning saving, working...

Schiit...

May 7, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #6,207 of 150,480
Jason, Its not crazy talk, Nasa has already developed a EM Drive capable of going to Mars in 90 days.
This world... well lets just say its interesting to live in these times.

Oh and, In the Now vs future paradigm:
In theory this was rather easy to guess by Interest rates when the markets has relatively free trading and Interest rates adjusted alone to it.
It gave a decent indicator (not the only one by any means) to know if people want consumption now or future consumption.
Today that indicator is worthless, and you have to look at many others to be able to have a general Idea.
This if course ads another thing to the part Jason talked about: The demand vs your company future-now decision making.

May 7, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #6,208 of 150,480
Not that it detracts from your point in any way, but...

I bet there's a guy in that distillery who knows more about that grist mill than the one who showed you guys around. A guy with some tools out the back, and a good relationship with the local blacksmith. Maybe even a guy whose dad kept the thing going before he did.

Which is another thing about the long-term view in business, and good housekeeping to tide over the lean times, rather than obsessing over this-quarter results and sacking the old guys, because figures are 0.001% down.

May 7, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #6,210 of 150,480
Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Caol Ila, Kilchoman...Islay rules
biggrin.gif

Anyway, ordered my Modi 2 uber last sunday on Schiit Europe, but they don't have stock right know...becoming impatient !

Ali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back