Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 23, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #149,026 of 150,689
Oh you guys are hilarious.

And the way things are going, you're gonna be very lucky if there is a Valhalla 3. Ever.

Warning: mini-chapter ahead.

Today, after months of painful back and forth with transformers, the whole Valhalla 3 thing came to a head. As far as transformers go, we are screwed in any number of ways:

1. A transformer that is perfectly fine, but runs at 90-95 degrees C. No, that's not a misprint. No, that's not Freedum Units. Now, transformers--even base-model, low-spec ones--can run at temperatures that will boil water for years, but your fingers will be less than happy when that transformer sits 1/4" away from an aluminum top panel.​
2. A transformer that runs cool, but has so much radiated field that it turns the steel bottom chassis into a paint shaker. I mean seriously insane. Like might-suck-your-Vidar-down-into-a-bottomless-magnetic-chasm insane.​
3. A 2-transformer solution that runs fine, but does not fit the chassis.​
4. A single larger transformer than runs fine, but does not fit the chassis.​
5. Two provisional untested solutions, each based on stuff we've never done before, like running heaters in series. Still waiting to hear if the transformer manufacturer laughs those out of the room.​

So right now we have no product. Maybe if we added a fan to #1, but come on, do you guys want a desktop tube amp that has a fan in it? Never mind, I know the answer to that.

On top of all that, in an ultimate ironic note, I got a shipment from a favorite winery today.

One of the wines was a blend. Called "Valhalla."

I almost opened it on the spot.

And I should have. On my way out to the car, I dropped the bottle on the concrete parking lot. It had the expected effect.

The Valhalla curse struck again.

So yeah, I'm kinda done with Valhallas (of any kind) for a while.

Does that mean Valhalla 3 is dead? Not yet, but we don't have a workable solution yet.

It'll happen when, and if, it happens.
Other than having to have different form factor casing, can the Valhalla just get taller? Same footprint, just double its height or whatever to fit a different transformer? Something Raggy in height?

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #149,027 of 150,689
I have two LPs of “Thick as a Brick” - the one I bought in high school… probably around 1982, and my father’s copy which is an earlier pressing with the full newspaper included. My 1982 copy has a lot of distortion in it (maybe it was at the end of the run for that particular stamper) but my father’s early copy is in poor condition so neither one is particularly fun to listen to. Coincidentally I was listening to the digital version I have ripped from a CD last night. It sounds a good deal better than my vinyl copies. Anyway, it’s a great record.
I'll have to dig out my copy and check it out.
Haven't spun it in years...sigh

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #149,028 of 150,689

And the way things are going, you're gonna be very lucky if there is a Valhalla 3. Ever.

Today, after months of painful back and forth with transformers, the whole Valhalla 3 thing came to a head. As far as transformers go, we are screwed in any number of ways:

1. A transformer that is perfectly fine, but runs at 90-95 degrees C. No, that's not a misprint. No, that's not Freedum Units. Now, transformers--even base-model, low-spec ones--can run at temperatures that will boil water for years, but your fingers will be less than happy when that transformer sits 1/4" away from an aluminum top panel.​
2. A transformer that runs cool, but has so much radiated field that it turns the steel bottom chassis into a paint shaker. I mean seriously insane. Like might-suck-your-Vidar-down-into-a-bottomless-magnetic-chasm insane.​
5. Two provisional untested solutions, each based on stuff we've never done before, like running heaters in series. Still waiting to hear if the transformer manufacturer laughs those out of the room.​

So right now we have no product. Maybe if we added a fan to #1, but come on, do you guys want a desktop tube amp that has a fan in it? Never mind, I know the answer to that.

On top of all that, in an ultimate ironic note, I got a shipment from a favorite winery today.

And I should have. On my way out to the car, I dropped the bottle on the concrete parking lot. It had the expected effect.

IMG_4292.jpg

Does that mean Valhalla 3 is dead? Not yet, but we don't have a workable solution yet.

Well, as someone eagerly awaiting the Valhalla 3 that’s disappointing. On the other hand, posts like this remind me of why Schiit is always first in line for my audio dollar. Thanks.

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #149,029 of 150,689
Jason, If it's any consolation to you: Vali 3 is fantastic !!

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #149,030 of 150,689
It might look a little silly with a transformer sticking out the top of the case, sure... but it's not like you can stack anything on top of it already, because of the tubes. Or maybe it's too big in the wrong dimensions.

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #149,031 of 150,689
How about sticking the heat sink outside the chassis? It might even look like having fish gills or something.

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #149,032 of 150,689

IMG_4292.jpg

Sounds like a lousy day. I hope things improve soon. It’s situations like this that let you know you need to get away from the problem for a while.

I will say that I’m very happy with the Valhalla 2. It provides a nicely different experience from the Mjolnir 3. While I understand the desire to improve upon past designs, I think the V2 is still a great amp, and still worth getting right now.

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #149,033 of 150,689

IMG_4292.jpg

Dang. Something like 95% of all wine purchases are consumed with 24 hours, yours was no exception. I do believe this could have been avoided by purchasing a few cases. In my career I have lost bottles, pitched full barrels across the cellar, and seen a tanker truck sheer the valves off a 25000 gal tank of Pinot. Cases have been afforded special protection by the wine gods! In Cases I Trust (TM).

Best of luck with this years transition, that is a formidable task professionally and personally for the whole company!

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #149,035 of 150,689
Apr 23, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #149,036 of 150,689

IMG_4292.jpg

Well, Schiit. :unamused:

Not what we wanted to hear, but hope springs eternal.

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #149,037 of 150,689

I guess it was a bad day to bring it up, I'm sorry haha. I feel a breakthrough is coming.

And if not, I'll take another run of black Folkvangrs :xf_wink:

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #149,038 of 150,689
So, that means we'll be getting an Asgard+ with Halo much, much, sooner then? Right?....or a Jotenheim3!!!!!!!!!!
Or just put it in a separate chassis all together with a switcher for various voltages. Then when Schitt comes out with a new amp or DAC, they'll only have to ship the pcb chassis for a lesser cost. Kind of like sticking with the modular theme? Imagine the cost savings? The completive price advantage? Or go DC...or battery...lol

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #149,039 of 150,689

IMG_4292.jpg

Well, that's okay, I have my money already set aside to jump on Stjarna when it comes out. I eagerly await adding that to my stack!

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #149,040 of 150,689
Well, that's okay, I have my money already set aside to jump on Stjarna when it comes out. I eagerly await adding that to my stack!
I must have missed it. What is a Stjarna?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back