Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 23, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #149,011 of 150,293
I have two LPs of “Thick as a Brick” - the one I bought in high school… probably around 1982, and my father’s copy which is an earlier pressing with the full newspaper included. My 1982 copy has a lot of distortion in it (maybe it was at the end of the run for that particular stamper) but my father’s early copy is in poor condition so neither one is particularly fun to listen to. Coincidentally I was listening to the digital version I have ripped from a CD last night. It sounds a good deal better than my vinyl copies. Anyway, it’s a great record.
I have no albums anymore. I was happy to walk away (like someone else mentioned earlier) as soon as CD's came out. Had no idea what I was missing until just recently (the quality).
If you haven't heard the remix by Steven Wilson of this and other Tull records, they are so good, and fun! If you have heard the music enough, you immediately here a change in the mix. Steven is enough of a fan that he doesn't seem to make many mistakes (as in taking something out that is essential or putting something in that changes the feel).

Most of these artists that are doing remixes are great at it. I assume because they also love the tunes. I have heard one remix that (in my opinion) is revolting. It is on Marillion's Clutching at Straws 30th anniversary Deluxe Box Set. They took the soul right out of the recording.....

Any other bad mixes?

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #149,012 of 150,293
I have no albums anymore. I was happy to walk away (like someone else mentioned earlier) as soon as CD's came out. Had no idea what I was missing until just recently (the quality).
If you haven't heard the remix by Steven Wilson of this and other Tull records, they are so good, and fun! If you have heard the music enough, you immediately here a change in the mix. Steven is enough of a fan that he doesn't seem to make many mistakes (as in taking something out that is essential or putting something in that changes the feel).

Most of these artists that are doing remixes are great at it. I assume because they also love the tunes. I have heard one remix that (in my opinion) is revolting. It is on Marillion's Clutching at Straws 30th anniversary Deluxe Box Set. They took the soul right out of the recording.....

Any other bad mixes?
I have the Steven Wilson mix of Aqualung. My digital version of Thick as a Brick sounds good, but I wouldn’t object to hearing another mix. The one Tull CD I have that really needs help is Broadsword and the Beast (I believe this was the original CD release). I actually bought a Lokius to bring it into something like a listenable condition. There is a recent box set release of it but I don’t quite feel like paying $50-80 for it. I suppose I should listen to it online to see if I want to get the CDs.

[EDIT] Just listened to a few clips of the Steven Wilson remix of Broadsword and the Beast and it sounds a lot closer to the original LP. Bass seems a bit heavier than I remember, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I might go with the HDTracks version if there is a sale.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #149,013 of 150,293
I have the Steven Wilson mix of Aqualung. My digital version of Thick as a Brick sounds good, but I wouldn’t object to hearing another mix. The one Tull CD I have that really needs help is Broadsword and the Beast (I believe this was the original CD release). I actually bought a Lokius to bring it into something like a listenable condition. There is a recent box set release of it but I don’t quite feel like paying $50-80 for it. I suppose I should listen to it online to see if I want to get the CDs.
I think you would like the new mix. If you have a HiRes setup, it is available in 24 bit on HDTracks for $24 (but sure to go on sale with one of their promotions).

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #149,014 of 150,293
Steven WIlson is one hellofa musician (Porcupine Tree!) - and an amazing mastering engineer. A great interview with him regarding his multichannel work, in the March 2024 Stereophile by Mike Mettler.

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #149,015 of 150,293
I can recall Linn coming out with a cd player eleven years after the first one hit the market. They basically said they would not produce one till it proved to be as good or audibly better than their turntable, and they made one amazing turntable.🤪
But then they stopped making CD players and committed to (very expensive) streamers such as the Klimax DS.

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #149,016 of 150,293
But then they stopped making CD players and committed to (very expensive) streamers such as the Klimax DS.
There are times in business when you best adapt.

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #149,017 of 150,293
Yesterday I said I would likely post one of my favorite 'The Crusaders' albums, so that's what I'm going to do. Is it their BEST album? Maybe not, but it is one of my favs and one that always has my toe tapping. Enjoy!

Note: While Joe Sample is one of the band members that comes to mind when one thinks of former members with an excellent solo career, there's one more that is worth mentioning...

Larry Carlton. :wink:

1713912205624.png

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #149,018 of 150,293
Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #149,019 of 150,293
Apr 23, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #149,020 of 150,293
Yesterday I said I would likely post one of my favorite 'The Crusaders' albums, so that's what I'm going to do. Is it their BEST album? Maybe not, but it is one of my favs and one that always has my toe tapping. Enjoy!

Note: While Joe Sample is one of the band members that comes to mind when one thinks of former members with an excellent solo career, there's one more that is worth mentioning...

Larry Carlton. :wink:

1713912205624.png
grrrrrreeeat album ☑️

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #149,021 of 150,293
When is Valhalla 3 estimated for release again? Not considering Jason’s Law of course
Oh you guys are hilarious.

And the way things are going, you're gonna be very lucky if there is a Valhalla 3. Ever.

Warning: mini-chapter ahead.

Today, after months of painful back and forth with transformers, the whole Valhalla 3 thing came to a head. As far as transformers go, we are screwed in any number of ways:

1. A transformer that is perfectly fine, but runs at 90-95 degrees C. No, that's not a misprint. No, that's not Freedum Units. Now, transformers--even base-model, low-spec ones--can run at temperatures that will boil water for years, but your fingers will be less than happy when that transformer sits 1/4" away from an aluminum top panel.​
2. A transformer that runs cool, but has so much radiated field that it turns the steel bottom chassis into a paint shaker. I mean seriously insane. Like might-suck-your-Vidar-down-into-a-bottomless-magnetic-chasm insane.​
3. A 2-transformer solution that runs fine, but does not fit the chassis.​
4. A single larger transformer than runs fine, but does not fit the chassis.​
5. Two provisional untested solutions, each based on stuff we've never done before, like running heaters in series. Still waiting to hear if the transformer manufacturer laughs those out of the room.​

So right now we have no product. Maybe if we added a fan to #1, but come on, do you guys want a desktop tube amp that has a fan in it? Never mind, I know the answer to that.

On top of all that, in an ultimate ironic note, I got a shipment from a favorite winery today.

One of the wines was a blend. Called "Valhalla."

I almost opened it on the spot.

And I should have. On my way out to the car, I dropped the bottle on the concrete parking lot. It had the expected effect.

The Valhalla curse struck again.

IMG_4292.jpg

So yeah, I'm kinda done with Valhallas (of any kind) for a while.

Does that mean Valhalla 3 is dead? Not yet, but we don't have a workable solution yet.

It'll happen when, and if, it happens.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 23, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #149,022 of 150,293
Oh you guys are hilarious.

And the way things are going, you're gonna be very lucky if there is a Valhalla 3. Ever.

Warning: mini-chapter ahead.

Today, after months of painful back and forth with transformers, the whole Valhalla 3 thing came to a head. As far as transformers go, we are screwed in any number of ways:

1. A transformer that is perfectly fine, but runs at 90-95 degrees C. No, that's not a misprint. No, that's not Freedum Units. Now, transformers--even base-model, low-spec ones--can run at temperatures that will boil water for years, but your fingers will be less than happy when that transformer sits 1/4" away from an aluminum top panel.​
2. A transformer that runs cool, but has so much radiated field that it turns the steel bottom chassis into a paint shaker. I mean seriously insane. Like might-suck-your-Vidar-down-into-a-bottomless-magnetic-chasm insane.​
3. A 2-transformer solution that runs fine, but does not fit the chassis.​
4. A single larger transformer than runs fine, but does not fit the chassis.​
5. Two provisional untested solutions, each based on stuff we've never done before, like running heaters in series. Still waiting to hear if the transformer manufacturer laughs those out of the room.​

So right now we have no product. Maybe if we added a fan to #1, but come on, do you guys want a desktop tube amp that has a fan in it? Never mind, I know the answer to that.

On top of all that, in an ultimate ironic note, I got a shipment from a favorite winery today.

One of the wines was a blend. Called "Valhalla."

I almost opened it on the spot.

And I should have. On my way out to the car, I dropped the bottle on the concrete parking lot. It had the expected effect.

IMG_4292.jpg

So yeah, I'm kinda done with Valhallas (of any kind) for a while.

Does that mean Valhalla 3 is dead? Not yet, but we don't have a workable solution yet.

Solution: Make Valhalla 3 in the Mjolnir 3 footprint.

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #149,023 of 150,293
"Valhalla 3 with NEW AND IMPROVED Transformer Sidecar" hanging off the side?

No worries, Mr. Jason. Put it aside for a while. I am sure there are other frustrations, err, product development activities awaiting your attention.

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #149,024 of 150,293

IMG_4292.jpg
And sorry for your loss.

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #149,025 of 150,293
So, that means we'll be getting an Asgard+ with Halo much, much, sooner then? Right?....or a Jotenheim3!!!!!!!!!!....or a Lyr2+........

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back