Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 23, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #149,041 of 150,704
Well, that's okay, I have my money already set aside to jump on Stjarna when it comes out. I eagerly await adding that to my stack!
What is that supposed to be?

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #149,044 of 150,704
Oh you guys are hilarious.

And the way things are going, you're gonna be very lucky if there is a Valhalla 3. Ever.

Warning: mini-chapter ahead.

Today, after months of painful back and forth with transformers, the whole Valhalla 3 thing came to a head. As far as transformers go, we are screwed in any number of ways:

1. A transformer that is perfectly fine, but runs at 90-95 degrees C. No, that's not a misprint. No, that's not Freedum Units. Now, transformers--even base-model, low-spec ones--can run at temperatures that will boil water for years, but your fingers will be less than happy when that transformer sits 1/4" away from an aluminum top panel.​
2. A transformer that runs cool, but has so much radiated field that it turns the steel bottom chassis into a paint shaker. I mean seriously insane. Like might-suck-your-Vidar-down-into-a-bottomless-magnetic-chasm insane.​
3. A 2-transformer solution that runs fine, but does not fit the chassis.​
4. A single larger transformer than runs fine, but does not fit the chassis.​
5. Two provisional untested solutions, each based on stuff we've never done before, like running heaters in series. Still waiting to hear if the transformer manufacturer laughs those out of the room.​

So right now we have no product. Maybe if we added a fan to #1, but come on, do you guys want a desktop tube amp that has a fan in it? Never mind, I know the answer to that.

On top of all that, in an ultimate ironic note, I got a shipment from a favorite winery today.

One of the wines was a blend. Called "Valhalla."

I almost opened it on the spot.

And I should have. On my way out to the car, I dropped the bottle on the concrete parking lot. It had the expected effect.

The Valhalla curse struck again.

So yeah, I'm kinda done with Valhallas (of any kind) for a while.

Does that mean Valhalla 3 is dead? Not yet, but we don't have a workable solution yet.

It'll happen when, and if, it happens.
I'm not one that believes in "signs," but.......damn. Sorry to hear about both Valhallas.

And I'm also not one that cares much about heat. Hot to many people is just lukewarm to me when it comes to tube components. But a transformer at ~200 degrees in F? Yeah, that's a bit over the top...even for me. :laughing:

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #149,045 of 150,704
Yesterday I said I would likely post one of my favorite 'The Crusaders' albums, so that's what I'm going to do. Is it their BEST album? Maybe not, but it is one of my favs and one that always has my toe tapping. Enjoy!

Note: While Joe Sample is one of the band members that comes to mind when one thinks of former members with an excellent solo career, there's one more that is worth mentioning...

Larry Carlton. :wink:

1713912205624.png
Nice recommendation, I enjoyed it.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #149,047 of 150,704
So yeah, I'm kinda done with Valhallas (of any kind) for a while.

Does that mean Valhalla 3 is dead? Not yet, but we don't have a workable solution yet.

It'll happen when, and if, it happens.
So move on over V3, and make some room for Gadget and Processor! Daddy needs a new toy, and something NOT headphone or TT related. I need to re-read the Rag2 posting, as I got the impression to not look for a replacement - yet I am thinking I want an integrated with Home Theater bypass for the master bedroom 5.0.2

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #149,048 of 150,704
I'm not one that believes in "signs," but.......damn. Sorry to hear about both Valhallas.

And I'm also not one that cares much about heat. Hot to many people is just lukewarm to me when it comes to tube components. But a transformer at ~200 degrees in F? Yeah, that's a bit over the top...even for me. :laughing:
.... this coming from a fellow at one point with Cary tube monoblock power amps 🤪

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #149,049 of 150,704
What does that circular/polar plot supposed to convey?
The angle from 12 o'clock gives the fraction of track time. Green seems to be dynamic peak, yellow not sure. This is MusicScope, an awesome app that still runs on my Macbook, but that very unfortunately was orphaned when its developer went out of business, and the online manual evaporated when their domain was taken over by a different company.

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #149,051 of 150,704
They're not the same track.
Of course not. They are two different tracks with different frequency ranges. What else would you expect?

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:13 PM Post #149,053 of 150,704
l
I didn't want to post a 2nd recommendation, but I gotta post this one. 'The Jazz Crusaders' first album released in 1961. GREAT recording and excellent music from these Houston, Texas men.

And in case you didn't notice, it's in STEREO. :wink:

1713839918074.png
Just a moment: we all know that in Texas, it's STEEREO !! 🐮🐮 ..... 🤣🤣🤣

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:13 PM Post #149,054 of 150,704
I mean, Gungnir chassis size, 6n6p and 6n1p, OTL and OCL? If it isn't Folkvangr then it would be something not worth developing and instead just make more Folkvangrs since it's proven concept.

Folkvangr was a crazy 10 tube monstrosity, and quite a bit thicker than the 2" chassis height of the Mjolnir 3. If he has a design that fits in a Bifrost/Asgard chassis, but needs two transformers to work, stick it in the Mjolnir dimensions. Maybe he'll even have room for a stepped attenuator. Or an extra input.

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:14 PM Post #149,055 of 150,704
Some of yous guys are aviators and can hopefully provide me with some insight. I casually track aircraft and sometimes notice planes taking strange curving routes. This evening, I noticed three craft in fairly close proximity making pronounced adjustments to their routes while en route to Seattle. The only thing I can think of is to slow down their arrival times to fit them into an arrival schedule better. Is this correct?

IMG_7160.jpeg

IMG_7161.png

IMG_7162.png

IMG_7163.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back