Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 23, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #148,981 of 150,292
It wasn't really clear to me that the baby sandworm was drowned per se.
Another interpretation could be one of those "just add water" scenarios; put the worm in a pool of water, stick a tube down its throat, and it barfs up blue hallucinogens. (?) IDK, and inquiring minds want to know...
IIRC, in the book it is stated that the "little makers" are drowned.

One can hope that the Fremen practice sustainable harvesting practices :)

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #148,982 of 150,292
I have two pair & they are fine/good. I like being able to choose the cable and connector. haven’t checked the soldering, and I’ve moved to the Snake Oil Taipans (but they might prove cost-ineffective to those of you down under).

I tried one, bought another, and then the Snake Oil Taipans were recommended.
Yeah i’d buy them if i was in the US but shipping and 10% tax at this end do price them up a bit. thanks though for the reply!

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #148,984 of 150,292
IIRC, in the book it is stated that the "little makers" are drowned.

One can hope that the Fremen practice sustainable harvesting practices :)
Ah, but you forget…

The Fremen WANTED “climate change”… badly…

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #148,985 of 150,292
Finally! Scientific proof that vinyl sounds better than digital! :D
I can recall Linn coming out with a cd player eleven years after the first one hit the market. They basically said they would not produce one till it proved to be as good or audibly better than their turntable, and they made one amazing turntable.🤪

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #148,986 of 150,292
Apr 23, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #148,988 of 150,292
I can recall Linn coming out with a cd player eleven years after the first one hit the market. They basically said they would not produce one till it proved to be as good or audibly better than their turntable, and they made one amazing turntable.🤪

A long, long time ago...I was on my way to a Linn from a Thorens and then, well...CDs. Got rid of my TT and all my LPs -- never looked back (even during the early CD years)!

The convenience just was too much to resist :wink:

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #148,989 of 150,292
A long, long time ago...I was on my way to a Linn from a Thorens and then, well...CDs. Got rid of my TT and all my LPs -- never looked back (even during the early CD years)!

The convenience just was too much to resist :wink:
Understandable and streaming is easier than either. MP3's became somewhat popular as well as VHS. :ksc75smile: I backed away from a turntable for many years but kept it as well as my vinyl but now I can take the time, I am in my car far less, and if wanted I can stream music to any portion of my property.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #148,990 of 150,292
One thing I find myself appreciating Qobuz over Apple Music for is their tendency to maintain multiple releases of an album.

This morning, I wanted to listen to Blur's album '13'. Apple has only the 2012 Special Edition with a bunch of extra tracks at the end, which isn't what I wanted. Qobuz has that but also the standard 1998 album.

The other evening I found three distinct releases of Mstislav Rostropovich's Bach Cello Suites recorded on the EMI label with 1995, 2003, remastered 2017 dates. I just think it's kinda neat that Qobuz functions as a sort of archive that way.

Darko (love him or leave him - I tend to dig him) has been on a bit of a holy tirade against modern remasters that are still squashing the everlovingschiit out of dynamics versus their original releases, and it makes me curious if Qobuz is one way in which one could listen between OG releases and new remasters to test that? If Qobuz really has an original, say, 1995 mastering of some given album in addition to a new remaster of it and if those differences would be apparent?

That then makes me curious if some record labels hold onto old digital masters of certain albums in their archives and when Qobuz acquires a particular band's discography they get all of those masterings (even the OG digital masters), whereas Apple might only want whatever the most recent digital master is. Not sure how well I'm getting my point and plodding thoughts across but it makes me curious about how all that works!

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #148,991 of 150,292
Thi
One thing I find myself appreciating Qobuz over Apple Music for is their tendency to maintain multiple releases of an album.

This morning, I wanted to listen to Blur's album '13'. Apple has only the 2012 Special Edition with a bunch of extra tracks at the end, which isn't what I wanted. Qobuz has that but also the standard 1998 album.

The other evening I found three distinct releases of Mstislav Rostropovich's Bach Cello Suites recorded on the EMI label with 1995, 2003, remastered 2017 dates. I just think it's kinda neat that Qobuz functions as a sort of archive that way.

Darko (love him or leave him - I tend to dig him) has been on a bit of a holy tirade against modern remasters that are still squashing the everlovingschiit out of dynamics versus their original releases, and it makes me curious if Qobuz is one way in which one could listen between OG releases and new remasters to test that? If Qobuz really has an original, say, 1995 mastering of some given album in addition to a new remaster of it and if those differences would be apparent?

That then makes me curious if some record labels hold onto old digital masters of certain albums in their archives and when Qobuz acquires a particular band's discography they get all of those masterings (even the OG digital masters), whereas Apple might only want whatever the most recent digital master is. Not sure how well I'm getting my point and plodding thoughts across but it makes me curious about how all that works!
This is one of the many reasons I enjoy using Roon. It allows one to view and listen to multiple versions of albums whether streamed as local files or Qobuz/Tidal. It also allows selecting a version as a default so that the favorite version is always selected first.

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #148,992 of 150,292
Thi

This is one of the many reasons I enjoy using Roon. It allows one to view and listen to multiple versions of albums whether streamed as local files or Qobuz/Tidal. It also allows selecting a version as a default so that the favorite version is always selected first.
That would be handy.

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #148,993 of 150,292
.... I backed away from a turntable for many years but kept it as well as my vinyl but now I can take the time, I am in my car far less ....
.... if you have one of these,
IMG_7902.jpeg
nicely suspended (🤣), in the cabin you can have one of these:
IMG_7903.jpeg
👊🤪👍

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #148,994 of 150,292

I've listened to different versions of albums on Qobuz. Some have the original, and 1 or 2 Hirez remasters. Sometimes the remasters are horrible and I listen to only the original master. Other times they are great. I'm not a technical person, so I don't know why, but sometimes there are substantial differences between versions not always for the better.

Apr 23, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #148,995 of 150,292
I am a huge fan of Zevon, I remember buying his second album Excitable Boy on vinyl, I still have it. I already owned his debut album. Earlier I mentioned Walter Tevis, Werewolves of London is part of a famous scene in The Color of Money.😁
Four college roommates (circa 1978 or 1979) had a joint checking account to pay our common bills. Two of us were insane Zevon fans. Our checks had the name “Excitable Boys” emblazoned on them. We two Zevon fans had suggested “Werewolves of London” but that shocked our two milder roommates. They accepted the less outré-sounding Excitable Boys. They had never listened closely to either song. Anyway our friends all called us the Excitable Boys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back