Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 20, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #148,666 of 150,363
Directional? audio is AC .....
I havent’t employed directional audio cables myself, I just try to apply some “medium-to-better” quality cables in my system just to be sure (i.e. tame my nervosa) - but AFAIK there is some merit in the shielding extending from the source component and not being connected to the next component in the chain as to avoid ground loops and the like. That would make the cable as a whole directional, but not the actual conductors themselves.

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #148,667 of 150,363
Surely, this will do the trick :laughing:

(It was only 30 dollars on amazon)

IMG_4826.JPG

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #148,668 of 150,363
Dood. Dood… Dooood! This is audiophilia, get your sanity out of here, man. What are you, a noob!? 🙄

Personally, I arranged my main two-channel stack with the DAC up top, then EQ below that, then the pre, and then the two power amps.
Why?
Gravity assist, man! Helps them electrons trickle down more better, duh!

The only problem is that one of the Tyrs sits one shelf higher than the other one. The resulting channel imbalance is killing me. 😒
If you shorten one of your speaker cables by a couple feet, it'll take longer for the signal to reach the other speaker and thereby eliminate that imbalance.

Glad to help, as always. 🤣 🤣

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #148,669 of 150,363
Thanks for the clear info! The part about directional copper crystals is fascinating, unfortunately I'm unable to find any great music that contains DC only signals. Any suggestions? :wink:
DC music is more easily experienced by feel, such as by putting your fingers on a fully charged capacitor. As long as it's big enough, the performance is always electrifying. 🤣

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #148,670 of 150,363
Yep I figured they would. I build all my own cables including USB so I am not always familiar with other products. I did buy a cargo van full of gear and there were some WBC in that lot and when I was in the industry I received a lot of samples. Now I am but a simple woodworker and cat wrangler.🤪
I build mine too until it comes to USB. Yeah, um....no. I tried a couple times. Soldering those connectors requires far more skill and patience (and religion :slight_smile:) than I'll ever have.

Apr 20, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #148,671 of 150,363
I build mine too until it comes to USB. Yeah, um....no. I tried a couple times. Soldering those connectors requires far more skill and patience (and religion :slight_smile:) than I'll ever have.
Ever build your own braided headphone cables??? Those can require some skill and practice. I was fortunate to have a young employee able to do braiding. I learned it, taught her, then ran away.🤪 I can do it but I don’t want to.

I was thinking you once sent me some wire you wanted made into a headphone cable but maybe that was someone else. 😉

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #148,672 of 150,363
Directional? audio is AC .....
As was pointed out earlier, so-called "directional" RCA interconnects are not really directional at all. The arrow points to the connector that has the ground lead connected to the shield. They can be useful in eliminating ground loop problems. Install so the arrow points toward the receiver (source to preamp, preamp to amp.) There is a lot of hogwash floating around the webz about "direction for optimal current flow" or "indicating the direction of burn-in" or some such claim, but that is nonsense as the signal does not flow through the shield at all in these cables.

Apr 20, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #148,673 of 150,363
If you shorten one of your speaker cables by a couple feet, it'll take longer for the signal to reach the other speaker and thereby eliminate that imbalance.

Glad to help, as always. 🤣 🤣
Then I better don’t tell you that I’m actually, no kidding, seriously using speaker cables of widely varying lengths. The right speaker sits right next to my rack, the left speaker is about ten feet to the left. And so I’m using a three foot cable for the right speaker and a twelve footer for the left.
Works just fine.

(The new place’s layout will be different, allowing for equal-length cables. But while my current room situation is perfect for symmetry, the new room will suck. A wall at one side and the open kitchen to the other. That actually bothers me to no end. It’s the only thing that I don’t like about the new place. But something’s gotta give. At least I can keep all the closet space just for myself. 😁)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #148,676 of 150,363
Same here.
I have not done type “C” but using a quality Belden cable I have made some fairly long runs without amplification.

Apr 20, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #148,677 of 150,363
Weather sucks here (T-storms and rain), so I thought I'd throw up a day Jazz recommendation in case others are homebound today.

Never heard of them before, but it is quite enjoyable. Get Down and Get Funky!!! (I may take it down a notch for tonight.) :D

1713627720447.png

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #148,678 of 150,363
Weather sucks here (T-storms and rain), so I thought I'd throw up a day Jazz recommendation.

Get Down and Get Funky!!!

1713627720447.png
lol, by the way I think I offered to build you something whenever I get caught up. Any idea what it was? I really need to start writing some of this stuff down.🤪

Apr 20, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #148,679 of 150,363
lol, by the way I think I offered to build you something whenever I get caught up. Any idea what it was? I really need to start writing some of this stuff down.🤪
LOL! It a new case for my Incubus. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #148,680 of 150,363
Then I better don’t tell you that I’m actually, no kidding, seriously using speaker cables of widely varying lengths. The right speaker sits right next to my rack, the left speaker is about ten feet to the left. And so I’m using a three foot cable for the right speaker and a twelve footer for the left.
Works just fine.

(The new place’s layout will be different, allowing for equal-length cables. But while my current room situation is perfect for symmetry, the new room will suck. A wall at one side and the open kitchen to the other. That actually bothers me to no end. It’s the only thing that I don’t like about the new place. But something’s gotta give. At least I can keep all the closet space just for myself. 😁)
Your system is a classic example of measurements vs. reality. That audio signal is traveling at/nearly at the speed of light. Two wires of different length means the signal gets to the end of one wire a miniscule (nanoseconds, picoseconds) amount earlier. Yes, it's measurable. The difference in impedance of the wires is measurable but miniscule. Using human ears as the measuring instrument means...hey, it sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back