Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 20, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #148,651 of 150,273
I have seen a couple responses about directional cables and I hope I can clarify some of this. RCA cables can be made with coaxial cable and direction does not matter, there is a center conductor and ground (shield). Some manufacturers claim the copper crystals align better in one direction over another so they mark what they believe is the best direction. Then you have microphone cable or similar with two conductors and a shield. The two center wires , usually twisted pair, have a signal line and ground. If you then attach the shield on both ends to said ground you have created a ground loop. What you do is connect the shield to the source end, and leave the shield off of the destination end. The arrow indicates signal flow from source to destination. That is the way I generally build interconnect cables. Another way to build with that cable is just like coaxial, you attach the two center conductors for signal and use the shield for ground, then no need to mark direction. PYST may do that.😁 Also stranded wire is more flexible than solid center conductor so PYST probably uses that as well.
Thanks for the clear info! The part about directional copper crystals is fascinating, unfortunately I'm unable to find any great music that contains DC only signals. Any suggestions? :wink:

Apr 20, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #148,652 of 150,273
LOL! And here I thought every southern college town had a Waffle House! Hardees biscuits vary widely between restaurants. We have Carls Jr. out here, which is in the Hardees family, and their biscuits vary widely as well, but are lower quality than anything in the south. Oh well...
Whenever I’m in Virginia or North Carolina, I seek out the nearest Biscuitville. Best fast food breakfast on this green and blue orb of ours.

Apr 20, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #148,653 of 150,273
Since even before I worked here, I've always loved our Rye the most of our core whiskies and probably still do.

Of the Bottled-in-Bonds, I dig the Wheat BiB the most, but by a small margin. :)

And our Dry Gin (which I happen to be proofing down at this very moment) is my favorite gin I've ever had, and that's an honest assessment, not just me trying it sell it - much like Jason, I'm no salesman! 😁
Do y’all have a bonded warehouse in Bend? Be curious to know more about that, it’s such a weird, anachronism of a law, but often responsible for my favorite expressions of any American whiskey distillery, maybe because 50% is actually a real sweet spot or the one distiller/single distillery/one season actually allows for something like terroir to show. Does your BIB go longer than the mandated four years?

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #148,655 of 150,273
Whenever I’m in Virginia or North Carolina, I seek out the nearest Biscuitville. Best fast food breakfast on this green and blue orb of ours.

Wow, thanks. I've got a Biscuitville just a few minutes from me, and I've never tried them. Guess I'll have to remedy that situation...! 🤤😀

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #148,658 of 150,273
Thanks for the clear info! The part about directional copper crystals is fascinating, unfortunately I'm unable to find any great music that contains DC only signals. Any suggestions? :wink:
I have seen it as part of a marketing endeavor by a company or two.🤪 I have never used those cables, I was merely stating why you might see arrows on some cables.

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #148,659 of 150,273
Directional? audio is AC .....

Apr 20, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #148,660 of 150,273
PM me if you want to read some of a company’s theory about directionality. They may be a sponsor so I prefer to not subject them to public ridicule.

Direction in audio signals refers more to source and destination I would think, not changing in amplitude and direction. Audio is indeed AC.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #148,661 of 150,273
Amperex built an assembly shop in India named BEL..Bharat Electronics Limited. Amperex parts, assembly in India...same quality, easier on $, if you can find them.
I did not know this, thanks for the tip.

Apr 20, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #148,662 of 150,273
One of the great things about streaming services is that you can get a broad intro to David Bowie without much effort ... and you should.

He changed direction quite a bit, so it's wise to sample early, mid and late career.

I liked Dark Star quite a bit ... re-listened to it just last night ... but it doesn't have some of the really memorable melodies I enjoy from Bowie.

Hunky Dory is probably my personal favorite, possibly because I listened to it a lot during my young formative years. (Edit/Add: Which is quite peculiar, because in general I do not much enjoy piano-centric rock/pop.) And by happenstance I have some new-today headphones to listen to, I think I'll crank it up and give that one a spin. Good idea, Doug, thanks for the suggestion!
Gotta love it. I talk to myself, too, but not usually in print in a Head-Fi forum.
I should try that ... it might be revelatory. Whaddya ya think, RCB? Yeppers, thanks for the idea! :)

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #148,664 of 150,273
I no longer have gear that might run a 6922 other than maybe a Vali 2, but I can recall enjoying the Reflektor silver shield 6n23p from 1975. I will hang onto those since they are fetching big bucks last I looked. It used to be the going rate was $150 each. Now folks are asking as much as $900-$1500 for a pair. And so it goes.😉

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #148,665 of 150,273
Dood. Dood… Dooood! This is audiophilia, get your sanity out of here, man. What are you, a noob!? 🙄

Personally, I arranged my main two-channel stack with the DAC up top, then EQ below that, then the pre, and then the two power amps.
Why?
Gravity assist, man! Helps them electrons trickle down more better, duh!

The only problem is that one of the Tyrs sits one shelf higher than the other one. The resulting channel imbalance is killing me. 😒

Users who are viewing this thread

Back