Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 12, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #14,853 of 150,675
 post#14834, about Schiit modifying a product to meet a customer's specific system configuration.

I really wish Schiit had a custom shop, like some gun and car companies do. Want black, or purple, or pink? No problem. We'll put that switch wherever you'd like (I know what you're thinking; and No, not there.) Did we forget an HT pass-thru? Well, bespoke spoken here!

Not a chance in Hades, of course, for some very good and rational reasons. Not to mention Jason's streak of cussedness (and I say that in the nicest possible way.) Prices would have to start at double or more than the standard item - not only to reflect actual costs but to induce the staff to put up with all the whiners who won't believe that it's really not possible to put the Ygg's circuits in the Fulla 2 case. Rats, I'm talking them out of it already...

Still, one can day-dream...

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #14,854 of 150,675

I really wish Schiit had a custom shop, like some gun and car companies do. Want black, or purple, or pink? No problem. We'll put that switch wherever you'd like (I know what you're thinking; and No, not there.) Did we forget an HT pass-thru? Well, bespoke spoken here!

Not a chance in Hades, of course, for some very good and rational reasons. Not to mention Jason's streak of cussedness (and I say that in the nicest possible way.) Prices would have to start at double or more than the standard item - not only to reflect actual costs but to induce the staff to put up with all the whiners who won't believe that it's really not possible to put the Ygg's circuits in the Fulla 2 case. Rats, I'm talking them out of it already...

Yep, never will happen. See "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 12, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #14,856 of 150,675

Sounds like a great opportunity for some enterprising individual, you could be the Dinan of Schiit 
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #14,858 of 150,675
I worked at a place that built a lot of acrylic products, I did some metal refinishing for frames and mostly electronics. All the standard build stuff we were able to put out very efficiently and had very few issues. The owner would allow modifications to standard builds which always required more time spent making custom jigs, putting products together just to find out the new dimensions required or more bracing and on my end figuring out that what was specified for power to run lights and other electronics was never right as well as redesigning the layout of wiring and components. The final cost of materials was always over and the man hours put into figuring out how to do the modifications properly usually ate up the profits. Then if there was an issue with one of these non standard products providing support would haunt you. Then on top of all the custom mods these people want it shipped out in two days. You would have to charge top dollar to be profitable.

This Goes Against what I have come to Understand as the Schiit business model. No Thanks. I very much like the brushed aluminum look and I have come to like my switches in the back and most of all I like that I can buy them new and not have sell myself on the corner or wait for a second hand one to be able to afford some of the gear.

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #14,860 of 150,675
I think all of Schiit's products look fantastic with the brushed aluminum look- very classy! Leds are a fantastic color and great build quality and very high performing!

If I had to change something the only two things I would modify in the upper end stuff (like Ragnarok, fulla, etc) is a heavy duty aluminum remote as an option (maybe to be purchased as a separate shopping cart item) and an analogues gauge with a real needle showing active measurement of wattage (or something).

I know the remote might be an option one day if there is enough interest. The gauge is probably not going to happen and I understand why but some of these items make these types of products more appealing to people used to spending tons of money on this gear where gauges are the norm. With that said this is not a criticism but just an observation and I absolutely love my Schiit!

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #14,861 of 150,675
First time here. I bought a Saga last Friday, and it was at my door step on Sunday. Yep, Sunday.  This is my second Schiit product, the first being a Wyrd (yeh, I got caught up in the USB enhancement game).

I bought the Saga to get a taste of what they Freya was going to be about.  From unboxing to installation I had tunes going in 10 minutes. 
I am using it in tube buffer mode in front of a solid state amp. Second variable output to a subwoofer  

FYI: I have owned and auditioned many, many preamps. Solid state, tube, and passive,
Some as expensive as $6000.

Here are my impressions-

-tube buffer def. a bit silkier and earthier than passive mode.
-superb transparency
-fantastic amount of volume steps
-remarkable build quality

This product is going to rewrite the rules of the game...and....

I am ordering a Freya as soon as it is available and the Saga will move to my office system, that is a scaled down version
of my main system.

The reason I want the Freya is that it is perfect for my needs. I switch off between a powerful solid state amp and a 50 wpc.
Audio Research KT120 VS55. I feel the solid state amp sounds better with a tube pre, and the tube amp sounds better
wth a passive linestage. The Freya will offer carefree flexibility. And the huge cherry on the icing is that for the first time I can run a fully 
balanced system from source to amp when used with the solid state amp.

Also, some thoughts on Schiit......

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #14,862 of 150,675
Some personal (translation, strictly my opinions) on Schiit, as a long time observer.

I think the Saga, Freya, and Vidar are going to be game changers for this industry.  The joke that has been played on consumers
in high end audio is arbitrary pricing and absurd marketing.

I very much admire Shiit's transparency in their communication with customers, their irreverent attitude, and their business model. 
I believe they found a way to intelligently run a business, and not follow market trends.

All that being said, they are not perfect. I feel they swam upstream by not offering USB inputs at the onset on their DACS. I also
think their resistance of DSD is rather stubborn. I have ripped over 1000 SACDs to my server and a DAC without DSD decoding
is non starter for me. And ripping SACDs is amazingly easy now with the new method.  

But their embrace of tubes, superb value, USA manufacturing, and middle finger to much of the dogma of this hobby makes it 
hard not to root for them.

Now..get that darn Freya order page up!!!
L3000.gif

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #14,863 of 150,675
  All that being said, they are not perfect. I feel they swam upstream by not offering USB inputs at the onset on their DACS. I also
think their resistance of DSD is rather stubborn. I have ripped over 1000 SACDs to my server and a DAC without DSD decoding
is non starter for me. And ripping SACDs is amazingly easy now with the new method.  

Hmm. Color me interested.

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #14,864 of 150,675

Users who are viewing this thread

Back