Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 28, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #145,591 of 149,579
I have been using OG Gumby -> Mj3 -> OG Aegir -> Zu Essence

for a few weeks now. It didn't take very many minutes to realize that my old and very much loved Van Alstine preamp was ready for retirement.

One big problem, though, is the heat generated by the Mj3 without headphones plugged in. With the HPs in it's warm but without HPs plugged in it gets VERY hot and that's in 20C ambient room temperature. Too hot for the summertime.

My solution: I have been on the fence about the Kara preamp for awhile. Reading @Bowmoreman's evaluation and recommendation of the Kara (many pages back now) was enough to push me into a decision and get one for myself. No regrets. In fact, I like it as a preamp a bit more than the Mj3 although I can use either now depending on the room temperature.

Choices, choices. :smile_phones:

:beerchug:
JC
interesting on the heat difference. been just HPs for a couple months. I'll have to check this with speaker amp. Freya+ gets hotter than MJ3,...so the Kara for summertime, what a good idea

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #145,593 of 149,579
Mar 28, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #145,594 of 149,579
Mar 28, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #145,595 of 149,579
The terroir of California Schiit is superior to that of Texas Schiit?

Is this going to devolve into something akin to the NC vs TX bbq jerking back-and-forth?
No. The recipe is the same regardless. The batches may be bigger because, well, Texas. 🤣

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #145,596 of 149,579
The Vali 3 is really good looking, while the LISST at the Saga+ looks like a closed telescope canopy....
....or a Minion popping its head out for a look around. 🤣

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #145,599 of 149,579
So… speculation time for new products?

Saga 2 is supposed to be cheaper AND do something cool. I’m thinking Nexus XLR/ RCA in small form factor? Could be Equipoise? Gain (unlikely) ???

New super secret product was a customer recommendation, liklely from this thread or one of the meets. Seems to overlap or contradict HEL, and could be revolutionary for gaming? Was noted as something Jason had not thought of but an obvious “oh, yea (duh)” moment once brought up. No idea. Assuming headphone gear. Could be a class A smoker for desktop BBQ.

Gumby 2 coming in Multibit AND Singularity 🙏.

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #145,600 of 149,579
So, what's new with Schiit? Anything interesting announced? 🤠

No Halo for balamced HP amps, may be at next Asgard update. Tube phono amp possible but will be very expensive, The Folkvangr tube HP amp can be back if no shortage of tubes, and Jason said he want to build a mini Mjolnir .....

And breaking news is Schiitr will be close later this year, and Schiit will move to Texas.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #145,601 of 149,579
OTL/OCL, like Folkvangr.
Pray tell, sir. What doth it looketh liketh?

It is not as if I am looking for the Zelig of Audio, you know. Familiarity does not breed contempt but rather it engenders comfort so I fully expect a familial resemblance but as this is the 3rd generation I also expect it to have been given a few unique touches of its own. Internal and external.

The game's afoot!

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #145,602 of 149,579
It's odd that they'll still have 2 facilities separated by ~150 miles. That's not terrible, though. For California staff, this will be a tumultuous time, speaking from experience having been through a significant corporate move myself. I hope that they will be able to keep most of the staff, especially their lead engineers and support folks. Ramp-up time for new hires will be a bit of a drag on things, but that will be a short term thing. Once the dust settles, I see good things and a better Schiit for it.
When I asked Jason it sounded like all Schiit facilities would be moving to Texas eventually. I did get there late and missed the 1st part of the Q&A tho.

But from what I understand they'll still use the metal stamping company in CA for cases.

Edit: oh, whoops, you said ~150 miles

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #145,603 of 149,579
When I asked Jason it sounded like all Schiit facilities would be moving to Texas eventually. I did get there late and missed the 1st part of the Q&A tho.

But from what I understand they'll still use the metal stamping company in CA for cases.

Edit: oh, whoops, yiu said ~150 miles

Transformer supplier as well.

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #145,604 of 149,579
Valhalla looks really good in black!!
I need help. I’m replying to @Ripper2860 because he’s been here so long and I can ask for bandwidth forgiveness.

1. How do you make a new post on this thing and not just reply? I can’t find info anywhere.

2. Many of you do tubes. I have both my first purchase, a Vali 2 running an Electro-Harmonix 6922 (which seems to sound clearer in detail than the Gold Lion E88CC that I also bought at the same time) and a Valhalla 2 purchased in about 2018 whose serial number starts with SCH-02-2. Stock tubes. These had the Bifrost 2 w/ Gen 5 USB as the source after my Hackintosh output.

I bought both to run a set of Drop Senn 6XX 300 ohm that I had bought. Valhalla OTL supposed to make Senns sound better. I always felt that the Senns were “blurry” in detail. And not much bass. Next a set of DCA Aeon 2 closed back. Use in bed with that Lyr 3 so as to not disturb the beloved. Better, but still not cigar. The new Meze Empy IIs seems to hit the spot.

I also have a Magni 3+ SS and my bedside stand companion a Lyr 3 with the flat top and the stock Tung Sol 6NS7 tube.

Latest was the GS2+ Yggy sourcing the MJ3 into my Meze Empy IIs.

What am I supposed to hear that’s different among these products?

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #145,605 of 149,579
Too bad that the Schiittalker cannot make the full captions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back