Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 28, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #145,562 of 149,404
the values in between the charted points are numbers, too, they are just undefined numbers. If they all got their integers it would be a smooth sine wave.
Nope. The charted points are the samples that were taken by the ADC used to create the digital recording. You don't know what the measured value in between two of the given samples would have been. For all we know, there were high-frequency, high-amplitude signal components that would have made those unseen samples arbitrarily large. But since we only care about the audible range, it doesn't matter, the given samples are enough to reconstruct the audible band-limited signal.

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #145,563 of 149,404
Dare I mention Dr. H. Nyquist? He said that one only needs a sampling rate of twice the bandwidth of the signal's waveform... so 44.1kHz is 10% overkill. :)
I'm aware of that but the Nyquist theory calculation works in a world where capacitors, resistors, inductors and wires all, and I mean all, meet their specs as precisely as the mathematics used to define/create/prove that theory.

So...
1. That's maths, not physical reality. Just rewatched Forbidden Planet so that might work without "physical instrumentalities" as that film says. We are stuck with those.
2. My mechanical engineering education, truncated as it was, instilled in me a firm belief that if a tolerance wasn't exceeded by 100% then the construction was no good. In this case, human hearing is limited to 20KHz so to avoid problems (imaginary though they may be) I would have liked CDs to top out at 40KHz. And, you know what, top end speakers are advertising that same 40KHz these days, hmm, besides specsmanship, wonder why...? (similarly, why do amplifiers need "a bandwidth of 100KHz" to reproduce 20KHz?)
3. As mentioned below, that 44.1Khz was pulled out of a Sony VP's arse. The original 48Khz, now that's another 10% better.

all this is IMO, having been deprived of music for 4 (four!) days! So, cranky.

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #145,564 of 149,404
late eve listening

IMG_2733.jpeg

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #145,565 of 149,404
Mar 28, 2024 at 1:10 AM Post #145,567 of 149,404
I'm aware of that but the Nyquist theory calculation works in a world where capacitors, resistors, inductors and wires all, and I mean all, meet their specs as precisely as the mathematics used to define/create/prove that theory.

So...
1. That's maths, not physical reality. Just rewatched Forbidden Planet so that might work without "physical instrumentalities" as that film says. We are stuck with those.
2. My mechanical engineering education, truncated as it was, instilled in me a firm belief that if a tolerance wasn't exceeded by 100% then the construction was no good. In this case, human hearing is limited to 20KHz so to avoid problems (imaginary though they may be) I would have liked CDs to top out at 40KHz. And, you know what, top end speakers are advertising that same 40KHz these days, hmm, besides specsmanship, wonder why...? (similarly, why do amplifiers need "a bandwidth of 100KHz" to reproduce 20KHz?)
3. As mentioned below, that 44.1Khz was pulled out of a Sony VP's arse. The original 48Khz, now that's another 10% better.

I'm a big proponent of head-room as well.

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #145,568 of 149,404
.... that's quite a tolerance for Captain & Tennille .... 🤣

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #145,571 of 149,404
First Raytheon 5670 in. Sounds bigger.
I could live with this.

IMG_4610.jpeg

The Vali 3 is really good looking, while the LISST at the Saga+ looks like a closed telescope canopy....

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #145,572 of 149,404
Mar 28, 2024 at 4:25 AM Post #145,573 of 149,404
Happy that Schiit is finding ways to maintain a viable business in the USA, but sad that they’re leaving California. Frankly, I took it for granted. My first visit to the Schiitr was just last week to pick up Tyrs for my father. I hope those that work at Schiit CA find quality alternatives or welcome new opportunities in TX. Texas and CA, like most all places in the US, are full of good, deserving people of opportunity to realize their American dream. Hard decisions, indeed (and dare I say post-industrial late capitalism and Neoliberal ideology is not California’s problem).

Excited for Schiit’s future. Their consistent innovation and moral compass for accessible, localized quality audio products is highly commendable. I wish them luck and will support how I can.

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #145,574 of 149,404
Not necessarily. See the section in the Audio University video that talks about low pass filtering, and the change in filter slope when the signal is upsampled... a gentler filter slope can cause less distortion and less abrupt phase shifts in the output analog signal.

From what I understand - when recording - mastering at a high rate / high bit depth yields a wider dynamic range, and therefore a lower noise floor; e.g. 24 bit == 144db theoretical (probably more like 125db in the real world).

This gives the engineer room to edit / overdub without sacrificing the dynamic range of the output, which is likely going to be at 44.1K or 48k, 16 bit, so... 96.32db available, theoretical dynamic range.

Again, that is totally correct. The RedBook CD's design was limited by the technology of the day, and ultimately consumer-facing price/performance requirements for broad adoption of the CD format.

p.s. Mike Moffat has proven that 44.1/16 is all you need... but YMMV.

p.p.s. Having dealt with a sick BMW V12 engine... I can tell you that nobody needs those kinds of headaches, and your mileage will NOT vary on this one. <G>

What I mean upsampling afterwards is on a finished music piece is useless, makes no advantage, as you said, need more like filtering ....

And upsampling during the music production makes sense, "similar" as Dolby NR to reduce the tape hiss.

Redbook CD fixed the standard, it last for decades and hard to break, unless another new standard created, but whether it can widely accepted by the market is another story...

Mr. Moffat is right, 16/44.1 is good enough, the short side is the recording itself, not the Redbook standard.

I forgot where I read, about the Nyquist frequency, double is enough and why is is 44.1 not 40 is something related to TV standard at that time, they do consider and take care of the TV tech, instead of making two individual standard, a wise move.

As Paladin mentioned, there are many ways to do at modulation. Which is better is hard to say, and cannot compare to the old days with limited tech and hardware, Redbook CD standard still remain strong.

YMMV

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #145,575 of 149,404
Hmmmm. Schiit is opening operations in San Antonio right around the time and ACP is moving to the San Antonio area. Coincidence? :thinking:

Gotta say that I'm tickled that I'll be able to call call Schiit a Texas company, and look forward to a Texas-located Schiitr! Woohoo!!!

You mean Mr. ArmchairPhilosopher ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back