Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 19, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #144,046 of 152,027
Mar 19, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #144,047 of 152,027
Mar 19, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #144,048 of 152,027
It isn't Roon! Or it shouldn't be. Roon should not change the sound, although that isn't my experience, and for my tastes - not for the better. Most likely it is the clean delivery from Qobuz that you are enjoying.
The FLAC files on my SSD are the music that's sounding better than ever, I didn't mention the SQ from Qobuz, which is also quite excellent. My conclusion is that Roon gets out of the way better than JRiver ever did.

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #144,049 of 152,027
There was a Richard Head in the phone book for the city where I lived during and after university.
My high school had a Mr. Dick (guidance counselor) and a Mr. Butt (choir director). The damn town was so conservative, we didn't really see the humor or the possibilities staring right at us. :)

Edit: Should have written my and Don's high school, as Mr. Strimbu was my classmate. @dstrimbu

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #144,051 of 152,027
1710849933544.png

A tiny Austrian hamlet just north of Salzburg.
(Pronounced "Foo-King" — which would be an even cooler town name, not gonna lie.)

Well, at least until a few years ago when they changed their name to Fugging because they grew a little tired of the attention that their 1000+ years old name afforded them, not to mention the fact that people kept stealing their town limit signs.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those signs ended up in the 'Murican bible belt, though. Especially the ones you'd see when you leave town:

1710850811843.png

But fear not, the two Austrian hamlets of…

1710850170400.png
("upper effing")

…and…

1710850286387.png
("under/lower effing" – ignore the "Güterweg," that just means agricultural road)

…are still around.
Es ist an der Zeit, den Frosch hier rauszuholen!!

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #144,052 of 152,027
He has some supposedly "objective " tests around 12 minutes into the video.
:)

His premise of "filling in the gaps" in digital SOUNDS like bull schiit to me.
Because there isnt really stair steps or missing data, it's just a representation at those specific points"; or so I've been told by engineers.
The output waveform of a DAC is a spline curve - the analog output sine wave - fit through a set of control points, so... he IS full of schiit AFAIK.

Like this-

Best explanation, ever.

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #144,053 of 152,027
This morning I have been busy answering the door and receiving items from friends, my favorite came with a card.😜 IMG_7557.jpegIMG_7558.jpeg

Naturally the other two were quite welcome but the center one is special. Now I best look for fine wood for an exceptional mini rack.

Thanks go out to @Orange5o as well, he went above and beyond my expectations for a Blanton’s wall rack.🤪

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #144,054 of 152,027
And there's Wankers Corner, OR (near Stafford). Named after Richard "Monkey" Wanker?

Indeed.

To bring this deplorable turn in the conversation back to some semblance of relevance to the general topic of high-quality music playback, related lyrics in a notable song from times gone by:

Michael Hurley, Don't Treat Me Bad, from Snockgrass, one of the greatest largely-forgotten recordings in human history.

If you like Hurley I think you’d like Seasick Steve. I do.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #144,055 of 152,027
This morning I have been busy answering the door and receiving items from friends, my favorite came with a card.😜

Naturally the other two were quite welcome but the center one is special. Now I best look for fine wood for an exceptional mini rack.

Thanks go out to @Orange5o as well, he went above and beyond my expectations for a Blanton’s wall rack.🤪

About 8 years ago I lived a couple of blocks away from a small, independent liquor store. I still remember going there one day and finding about a dozen bottles of Old Weller on the shelf collecting dust. Retail price was $27 give or take.

IMG_8314.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #144,056 of 152,027
I've always wondered about designing a DAC that has one set of chips for the summed mono signal, and one for the difference between L+R, with the decoding of the stereo image happening in the analog domain. Kind of like how vinyl encoding & playback works. Curious if any manufacturers have ever done it that way. Seems to me that it would tackle some of the issues that come along with the nonlinearities (glitching, settling time, resistor drift, etc), and give a good solid sense of a center channel.
And then, next, an end-to-end reproduction of a recording where the ADC worked the same way... 🤔

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #144,057 of 152,027
About 8 years ago I lived a couple of blocks away from a small, independent liquor store. I still remember going there one day and finding about a dozen bottles of Old Weller on the shelf collecting dust. Retail price was $27 give or take.

IMG_8314.jpeg
Prices have changed drastically lol, you are very fortunate to have found it at that price.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #144,058 of 152,027
My rig is very simple: MacBook SSD - music server - Gumby - Bryston amp - headphones. About a year ago, I switched the music server from JRiver to Roon, and subscribed to Qobuz. My first experience with streaming. While it's easy to find and enjoy "new to me" music via Qobuz, the real improvement has been to the SQ which I attribute to Roon. I'm using no DSP at all, and Roon is installed on the Mac, so the signal path is "lossless" and the FLAC rips on my SSD have never sounded so good. This is clearly apparent when listening to old, familiar, music that I've heard 100 times before and now hear new details in it. That is a wonderful thing to experience. Today's adventure included this old favorite album, see the Listening thread for more details.
IMO and YMMV, the requisite disclaimers. :)

Eric Clapton Unplugged is a great recording.

It sounds very good on Qobuz, but ( to my ears at least) it sounds even better from a physical CD.

I was listening to it just last night, playing my CD which cost about £3 :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back