1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
First

Back
936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945
947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956
Next

Last
  1. Brubacca
    Thanks for the info. Glad that business is good for you guys. I love my Gumby.

2. Armaegis

Not to mention one of the most forgotten aspects of DIY... the amount of space it takes up. There's all the equipment itself, plus parts, plus spare parts, plus boutique parts, plus cabling parts because everyone wants to make cables, plus testing gear... PLUS all the maybes and unfinished projects, because DIY only begets more DIY.

Then you start thinking "hey, I can save money by making my own chassis/cabinetry..." and then the metalshop and woodworking tools come out...

3. Jason Stoddard

Because once you have the tools, you might as well use them!

(Seriously, this is a good thing.)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
    FrivolsListener likes this.
  4. Armaegis

My garage has a hookup for 240V because the previous owner was big into renos and had all the full sized machinery/tools at hand. I found myself browsing the hardware store one day... and slowly backed away. I'm halfway into the deep end with the soldering iron as it is. I dare not stare into the abyss [​IMG]
    (that plus I actually like to park my car in the garage... whodathunkit)

Jason Stoddard likes this.
  5. Jason Stoddard

I really miss the days of having a complete woodworking shop (for the Odeon speakers). That's a very deep, big, and messy rabbit-hole, though. 

In actuality, if I had the space and wherewithal, I'd have a complete machine shop and wood shop...you know, just for messing around. And so I can do "inexpensive" furniture and such (that, amortizing in equipment cost, would be 10x the cost of buying it, but hey...)

mhamel and reddog like this.
  6. Armaegis
    A generation or two ago, my neighbours (who've been living in this area for 30-40 years) tell me they all kinda did a shared household tools thing. Henry (my house) was all the full sized woodworking tools like the band saws, planar, lathe, etc. Gil (next door) was the small scale tools guy and general handyman and gardener. Dave (across the street) had all the plumbing tools supplies. David three houses down fixed motors. Etc etc.

It makes me feel nostalgic for a time that I wasn't even there for.

7. Mr Rick

Actually the only DIY I was contemplating would be beyond the ten pin interface connector. I have no illusions of trying to improve on a good thing. I just wondered if  anyone thought it would be feasible to create a stand-alone, balanced output DAC, using the Jot module as a starting point. 

8. dmckean44
    I would never discourage anyone from any DIY project/hobby. Yes, you're probably getting into for the wrong reasons and you'll end up spending a lot more but it's always rewarding and you learn a ton. The skills you gain don't just go away either.

9. FrivolsListener
    Self-deleted.  Misread who I quoted.

10. JuleZ3C
    Guys, it's only 10 pins, what could go wrong? (seriously wouldn't be that complicated to hook up...if it was available as a stand-alone part!)

That being said, just got my saga, still burning the tube, but it's a confort I've been waiting for a long time now!!

IMAG20871.jpg

Can't get a Vidar fast enough now !

Actually, 64 dB attenuation might be a bit light for the 96dB @ 2.83V / 1m of the Klipsch speakers.... that being said, they might go, as well as the Topping :)

11. bigro
    So The Plan is to Take one of These 
    [​IMG]
    And Make One of these
    [​IMG]

I do not know your skill level but If you have the knowledge and tools and time, Go for it. As Far as I can Tell The Pins are not labeled and I seriously doubt they ship with a schematic. It seems you have your work cut out for you. 

12. wink
    Is it the legendary (insert monent for contemplative silence and heightening of anticipation) [REDACTED].... ?     [​IMG]

13. johnjen
    One aspect to DIY is, with experience, you also gain the understanding of what is and isn't feasible.

And while some hold to the notion that DIY'ng is cheaper, that seems to me a rationalization rather than a real factor in the whole process.

Customizing or building stuff is about the challenges and learning what can be done and how well, which usually gets more refined with added experience.
    Yeah having the tools is necessary but know how to use them as well as what they aren't really meant to do is probably even more important.
    Not just from the perspective of accomplishing a task but doing so with minimal blood letting involved.

Trips to the emergency room can be a rather expensive line item on the parts list…

JJ

14. Jason Stoddard

Ask Mike about his friend who used to get up out of his pool to work on tube amps with 800V rails. 

noshortcuts likes this.
  15. Armaegis
    See... I've zapped myself enough times that 120V doesn't hurt all that much. The 240V is more of an ache from the muscle cramp afterwards. I have no desire to find out what 800V feels like however.

First

Back
936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945
947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956
Next

Last