Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 22, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #14,177 of 150,663

DIY in your mind:

DIY in the real world:

Not to mention one of the most forgotten aspects of DIY... the amount of space it takes up. There's all the equipment itself, plus parts, plus spare parts, plus boutique parts, plus cabling parts because everyone wants to make cables, plus testing gear... PLUS all the maybes and unfinished projects, because DIY only begets more DIY.

Then you start thinking "hey, I can save money by making my own chassis/cabinetry..." and then the metalshop and woodworking tools come out...

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #14,178 of 150,663

Not to mention one of the most forgotten aspects of DIY... the amount of space it takes up. There's all the equipment itself, plus parts, plus spare parts, plus boutique parts, plus cabling parts because everyone wants to make cables, plus testing gear... PLUS all the maybes and unfinished projects, because DIY only begets more DIY.

Because once you have the tools, you might as well use them!

(Seriously, this is a good thing.)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 22, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #14,179 of 150,663

Because once you have the tools, you might as well use them!

(Seriously, this is a good thing.)

My garage has a hookup for 240V because the previous owner was big into renos and had all the full sized machinery/tools at hand. I found myself browsing the hardware store one day... and slowly backed away. I'm halfway into the deep end with the soldering iron as it is. I dare not stare into the abyss
blink.gif

(that plus I actually like to park my car in the garage... whodathunkit)

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #14,180 of 150,663

My garage has a hookup for 240V because the previous owner was big into renos and had all the full sized machinery/tools at hand. I found myself browsing the hardware store one day... and slowly backed away. I'm halfway into the deep end with the soldering iron as it is. I dare not stare into the abyss
blink.gif

(that plus I actually like to park my car in the garage... whodathunkit)

I really miss the days of having a complete woodworking shop (for the Odeon speakers). That's a very deep, big, and messy rabbit-hole, though. 

In actuality, if I had the space and wherewithal, I'd have a complete machine shop and wood shop...you know, just for messing around. And so I can do "inexpensive" furniture and such (that, amortizing in equipment cost, would be 10x the cost of buying it, but hey...)

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #14,181 of 150,663
A generation or two ago, my neighbours (who've been living in this area for 30-40 years) tell me they all kinda did a shared household tools thing. Henry (my house) was all the full sized woodworking tools like the band saws, planar, lathe, etc. Gil (next door) was the small scale tools guy and general handyman and gardener. Dave (across the street) had all the plumbing tools supplies. David three houses down fixed motors. Etc etc.

It makes me feel nostalgic for a time that I wasn't even there for.

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #14,182 of 150,663

DIY in your mind:

1. Buy bare PCB for $20 plus $100 in parts.
2. Assemble.
3. Get $1000 in performance for $120!

DIY in the real world:

1. Buy bare PCB for $20 plus $100 in parts.
2. Realize that you ordered the wrong parts, pay return shipping plus new parts, add $50.
3. Realize that hey, while you're at it, might as well upgrade some parts, add $250.
4. Get a good soldering iron, silver solder, flux, solder sucker, board cleaner, third hands, board cleaner, add $200.
5. Realize you need a dremel for a board mod that someone recommended on a DIY forum, purchase dremel, drill bits, grinding wheels, cutters, and add hot air rework station, nice Fluke meter, on-sale oscilloscope, and variac, add $1000.
6. Begin assembly. Realize you still have some wrong parts, so might as well get better ones, plus drawers to organize your parts, plus some more parts for A/B testing later, add $250.
7. Power on. Despite variac, the board smokes. Troubleshoot and buy more parts, plus another Fluke meter to measure current, plus a current-limited lab power supply, plus a function generator so you can visually tell if the circuit is working early in the game, plus a Flir One to see what's getting hot. Add $1,000.
8. Power on, it works. Spend a week swapping parts and listening. Oops, shorted something, board go boom. Spend an evening troubleshooting and replacing parts. Can't find it. Realize you need a 6.5 digit 4-wire bench meter...

And so on...

(Now, before I get eviscerated by the DIY crowd, I have to reiterate I have the utmost respect for DIY...and the lessons you learn while making your own stuff is invaluable. It just can't be thought of as cheap or easy, either in terms of budget or time. If you love it, do it. Just go in, eyes open.)

Actually the only DIY I was contemplating would be beyond the ten pin interface connector. I have no illusions of trying to improve on a good thing. I just wondered if  anyone thought it would be feasible to create a stand-alone, balanced output DAC, using the Jot module as a starting point. 

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #14,185 of 150,663
Guys, it's only 10 pins, what could go wrong? (seriously wouldn't be that complicated to hook up...if it was available as a stand-alone part!)

That being said, just got my saga, still burning the tube, but it's a confort I've been waiting for a long time now!!

Can't get a Vidar fast enough now !

Actually, 64 dB attenuation might be a bit light for the 96dB @ 2.83V / 1m of the Klipsch speakers.... that being said, they might go, as well as the Topping :)

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #14,186 of 150,663
So The Plan is to Take one of These 
jotundac-1920.jpg

And Make One of these
gungnir-pcb-1920(1).jpg

I do not know your skill level but If you have the knowledge and tools and time, Go for it. As Far as I can Tell The Pins are not labeled and I seriously doubt they ship with a schematic. It seems you have your work cut out for you. 

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #14,187 of 150,663

Fair question.

Somewhat ironic answer: Freya (and one other product soon to be announced) is pushed back a week or so in order to keep Magni, Modi, and Jotunheim in stock. Sorry, but we can't go out of stock on core products in order to prioritize new releases.

However, we're not far out now. If you want one for Christmas, I'm sure we're still good.

Is it the legendary (insert monent for contemplative silence and heightening of anticipation) [REDACTED].... ?    
popcorn.gif

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #14,188 of 150,663
One aspect to DIY is, with experience, you also gain the understanding of what is and isn't feasible.

And while some hold to the notion that DIY'ng is cheaper, that seems to me a rationalization rather than a real factor in the whole process.

Customizing or building stuff is about the challenges and learning what can be done and how well, which usually gets more refined with added experience.
Yeah having the tools is necessary but know how to use them as well as what they aren't really meant to do is probably even more important.
Not just from the perspective of accomplishing a task but doing so with minimal blood letting involved.

Trips to the emergency room can be a rather expensive line item on the parts list…

JJ

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #14,189 of 150,663

Trips to the emergency room can be a rather expensive line item on the parts list…

Ask Mike about his friend who used to get up out of his pool to work on tube amps with 800V rails. 

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #14,190 of 150,663
See... I've zapped myself enough times that 120V doesn't hurt all that much. The 240V is more of an ache from the muscle cramp afterwards. I have no desire to find out what 800V feels like however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back