1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
First

Back
935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944
946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955
Next

Last
  1. Brubacca
    Doesn't Freya have 3 more tubes than Saga?

2. KoshNaranek

According to Jason, the front ones are gain tubes and these make the biggest difference.

3. bosiemoncrieff
    How much gain does Freya have? 

4. bigro
    I do not believe that information has been Released Yet.  Usually Those details will be Available on the Schiit Product When the product is available.

5. Oveja Negra

What did I miss? what's about to happen that makes you to fall for that compulsion? [​IMG]

6. Mr Rick
    So, is anyone planning to purchase the Jot DAC module and build their own stand-alone balanced output DAC?

Would it be as easy as I visualize? 

7. Ableza

Easy?  You jest.

8. Mr Rick

Not really.

9. pdferguson

In a word, no...

10. bigro
    33na3rd likes this.
  11. Ableza
    OK.  Do you know the required voltages and current?  The pin out on the edge connector?  Will Schiit even sell you the DAC card as a stand-alone?  Would any of that be cheaper than simply buying a completed product from Schiit?

But hey, if it floats your boat then go for it.

12. Jason Stoddard

DIY in your mind:

1. Buy bare PCB for $20 plus $100 in parts.
    2. Assemble.
    3. Get $1000 in performance for $120!

DIY in the real world:

1. Buy bare PCB for $20 plus $100 in parts.
    2. Realize that you ordered the wrong parts, pay return shipping plus new parts, add $50.
    3. Realize that hey, while you're at it, might as well upgrade some parts, add $250.
    4. Get a good soldering iron, silver solder, flux, solder sucker, board cleaner, third hands, board cleaner, add $200.
    5. Realize you need a dremel for a board mod that someone recommended on a DIY forum, purchase dremel, drill bits, grinding wheels, cutters, and add hot air rework station, nice Fluke meter, on-sale oscilloscope, and variac, add $1000.
    6. Begin assembly. Realize you still have some wrong parts, so might as well get better ones, plus drawers to organize your parts, plus some more parts for A/B testing later, add $250.
    7. Power on. Despite variac, the board smokes. Troubleshoot and buy more parts, plus another Fluke meter to measure current, plus a current-limited lab power supply, plus a function generator so you can visually tell if the circuit is working early in the game, plus a Flir One to see what's getting hot. Add $1,000.
    8. Power on, it works. Spend a week swapping parts and listening. Oops, shorted something, board go boom. Spend an evening troubleshooting and replacing parts. Can't find it. Realize you need a 6.5 digit 4-wire bench meter...

And so on...

(Now, before I get eviscerated by the DIY crowd, I have to reiterate I have the utmost respect for DIY...and the lessons you learn while making your own stuff is invaluable. It just can't be thought of as cheap or easy, either in terms of budget or time. If you love it, do it. Just go in, eyes open.)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
    dogbait, Pstraums, nicolo and 10 others like this.
  13. Rowethren

Haha, that sounds exactly like whenever I try and DIY anything... Probably why now I just buy Schiit instead :p 

14. Brubacca
    Jason,

If it is ok to ask, how are you guys doing on Freya? Or are you too busy assembling Saga to worry about it. No pressure, just curious

15. Jason Stoddard

Fair question.

Somewhat ironic answer: Freya (and one other product soon to be announced) is pushed back a week or so in order to keep Magni, Modi, and Jotunheim in stock. Sorry, but we can't go out of stock on core products in order to prioritize new releases.

However, we're not far out now. If you want one for Christmas, I'm sure we're still good.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
    RoundRound likes this.
First

Back
935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944
946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955
Next

Last