Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 21, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #140,281 of 155,168
Thanks to Schiit, we can enjoy an exquisite audio experience and still have money left for good Coffee and Whiskey.

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #140,282 of 155,168
Feb 21, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #140,284 of 155,168
Feb 21, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #140,285 of 155,168
Yeah, but if I gave up whiskey I'd probably have brand new Tyrs to be placed in an asylum by the end of the year......
FTFY.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #140,286 of 155,168

Haha, classic @Ripper2860... I knew I should have quoted your original post... 😁

Paraphrasing Ripper...."Just think what you would have if you hadn't started..... On second thought.... DONT!!!"

Yeah, I do the math once in awhile..... The insane asylum and divorce lawyer has to be more expensive than hooch, and can't come close to the relaxative and calming effect of a good pour...

I will say though, that music probably has a stronger effect on mood than hooch.... But together.....talk about a match made in heaven.... I fall asleep better then a baby.....

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #140,287 of 155,168
Unlike others though I never become a snob and actually enjoy coffee of all kinds. Heck I grew up from my hometown drinking Robusta coffee that some coffee snobs out there will never even dare drink a sip of it. As for audiophile hobby, thank God for Schiit existence since they keep this hobby sane and accessible for masses without sacrificing the sound that we all crave without going broke
Snob isnt the perfect word for it if you only have a few- that's just us being connoisseurs.

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #140,288 of 155,168
Don Juan? Don Corleone? Or Don Quixote? :thinking:
Don Corleone , of course. But Im a big fan of Don Quixote so him, too.
Don Juan is just a leche lol.

And Don Julio Anejo is the Schiit of Tequilas... Anejo 100% Agave for a fair price.

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #140,289 of 155,168
Feb 21, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #140,290 of 155,168
So you made up your mind? MIB is definitely better than Yggy+ OG? Flavor so different that the track/song is unrecognizable from one DAC to the other on the same setup?

Not sure about better. My other Yggy is a (non-plus) OG Analog 2. It is a spectacular performer in both the time and frequency domains... but MiB is a spectacular performer in the frequency and time domains, in that order, and I'm still struggling for words to describe this difference. OG set a "pace" that simply pulled me into the song. MiB does that whilst delivering a clarity that I've just never heard in my system before.

And while the OG A2 (also Unison USB) sounds extra lovely with Urd, the MiB + Urd is indefinably better. It's "just so..." - enter the adjective of your choice - wide, deep, clear, shimmering, timely. Weird but true, I would venture that the utter lack of noise in MiB's top end presentation is the key difference here. Or not. I don't know.

IMHO, the reproduction of higher frequencies with MiB is just startling. The B&Ws are getting "spatial" data that they didn't get with the OG. The clarity of the upper registers is etched into the presentation. It is unexpected and very, very pleasing to me - never sharp, just clean and etched into the space around the speakers... weird? Yeah, but I've been drinking tonight.

W/r/t your second question; when comparing one DAC to the other, the songs are still totally recognizable... just different. OG A2 has rhythmic drive and smooth highs. MiB has a stunningly clear top end and solid rhythmic drive. Those are the differences as far as I can tell... sorry I can't be more definitive. Both of them pull me in to the music, but in my current main rig, I favor MiB.

And in my current office headphone rig, I favor OG A2. So happy that I can experience them both!

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #140,291 of 155,168
So A1 is the OOG, then!! :wink:
It's been around long enough to say "Oog!"

IMG_6563.gif

Which, as Jason mentioned a while back is a stunning achievement!

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #140,292 of 155,168
Not sure about better. My other Yggy is a (non-plus) OG Analog 2. It is a spectacular performer in both the time and frequency domains... but MiB is a spectacular performer in the frequency and time domains, in that order, and I'm still struggling for words to describe this difference. OG set a "pace" that simply pulled me into the song. MiB does that whilst delivering a clarity that I've just never heard in my system before.

And while the OG A2 (also Unison USB) sounds extra lovely with Urd, the MiB + Urd is indefinably better. It's "just so..." - enter the adjective of your choice - wide, deep, clear, shimmering, timely. Weird but true, I would venture that the utter lack of noise in MiB's top end presentation is the key difference here. Or not. I don't know.

IMHO, the reproduction of higher frequencies with MiB is just startling. The B&Ws are getting "spatial" data that they didn't get with the OG. The clarity of the upper registers is etched into the presentation. It is unexpected and very, very pleasing to me - never sharp, just clean and etched into the space around the speakers... weird? Yeah, but I've been drinking tonight.

W/r/t your second question; when comparing one DAC to the other, the songs are still totally recognizable... just different. OG A2 has rhythmic drive and smooth highs. MiB has a stunningly clear top end and solid rhythmic drive. Those are the differences as far as I can tell... sorry I can't be more definitive. Both of them pull me in to the music, but in my current main rig, I favor MiB.

And in my current office headphone rig, I favor OG A2. So happy that I can experience them both!
Well done, even despite your imbibing.

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #140,293 of 155,168
OG1 & OG2?
IMHO, "OG" references the original, Analog Devices AD5791BRUZ based Yggdrasil in the old (tall) chassis.
There was an Analog 1 variant, and an Analog 2 variant. There may have also been a non-Unison and a Unison variant.

The Schiit website says that the Yggdrasil+ GS2 is also an Analog Devices AD5791BRUZ based Yggdrasil, in the new "plus" chassis, with the Analog 1 output cards.
(If this is true, it's the best freaking DAC bargain in the world)
They are still available, but when the AD5791BRUZ chips run out, they will be gone.

The Yggdrasil+ (new chassis design) is available in LiM (TI DAC8812 chipset) and MiB (TI DAC11001B chipset). These DACs are current production machines with Unison USB. As their integrated analog stages are based on the LME49724 differential stage, I don't know if it makes sense to call them "Analog 1" or "Analog 2", bc AFAIK the OG's "Analog 2" boards were designed for the Analog Devices-based DACs.

So... you could have several Yggdrasil variants:
  • No longer in production:
    • OG in the original casework with the Analog Devices DAC, Analog 1 output, and non-Unison USB
    • OG in the original casework with the Analog Devices DAC, Analog 1 output, and Unison USB (maybe, not sure if the Unison USB release was simultaneous with Analog 2...)
    • OG in the original casework with the Analog Devices DAC, Analog 2 output, and Unison USB (this is my original Yggy)
  • On "Last Call" at this time:
    • Yggy+ casework with the Analog Devices DAC, Analog 1 output, and Unison USB (This is the Yggy+ GS2 - get 'em before they're gone!!!)
  • Current production
    • Yggy+ LIM
    • Yggy+ MiB (my new Yggy)

I could be partially or totally wrong, of course, as usual.

/ds

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #140,294 of 155,168
IMHO, "OG" references the original, Analog Devices AD5791BRUZ based Yggdrasil in the old (tall) chassis.
There was an Analog 1 variant, and an Analog 2 variant. There may have also been a non-Unison and a Unison variant.

The Schiit website says that the Yggdrasil+ GS2 is also an Analog Devices AD5791BRUZ based Yggdrasil, in the new "plus" chassis, with the Analog 1 output cards.
(If this is true, it's the best freaking DAC bargain in the world)
They are still available, but when the AD5791BRUZ chips run out, they will be gone.

The Yggdrasil+ (new chassis design) is available in LiM (TI DAC8812 chipset) and MiB (TI DAC11001B chipset). These DACs are current production machines with Unison USB. As their integrated analog stages are based on the LME49724 differential stage, I don't know if it makes sense to call them "Analog 1" or "Analog 2", bc AFAIK the OG's "Analog 2" boards were designed for the Analog Devices-based DACs.

So... you could have several Yggdrasil variants:
  • No longer in production:
    • OG in the original casework with the Analog Devices DAC, Analog 1 output, and non-Unison USB
    • OG in the original casework with the Analog Devices DAC, Analog 1 output, and Unison USB (maybe, not sure if the Unison USB release was simultaneous with Analog 2...)
    • OG in the original casework with the Analog Devices DAC, Analog 2 output, and Unison USB (this is my original Yggy)
  • On "Last Call" at this time:
    • Yggy+ casework with the Analog Devices DAC, Analog 1 output, and Unison USB (This is the Yggy+ GS2 - get 'em before they're gone!!!)
  • Current production
    • Yggy+ LIM
    • Yggy+ MiB (my new Yggy)

I could be partially or totally wrong, of course, as usual.

/ds

Is the suffix "OG" also means the first model of any Schiit product too?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 2:43 AM Post #140,295 of 155,168
Is the suffix "OG" also means the first model of any Schiit product too?
No it's slang for "original gangster", used by people to refer to the first of their kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back