Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 21, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #140,296 of 155,168
Is the suffix "OG" also means the first model of any Schiit product too?

I'm not sure about that.. I think it relates more to variations, changes on a model, but that could just be me. You don't often see people saying OG Asgard, Asgard 2, Asgard 3... you see Asgard 1..

Bifrost 2 for example underwent a major change from Analogue Devices DAC chips to TI chips in 2/64

I refer to mine as Bifrost 2 OG to signify it has the original Analogue Devices chips, and to differentiate it from Bifrost 2 2/64 (or is if Bifrost 2/64)..

But that could just be me...

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:00 AM Post #140,297 of 155,168
IMHO, "OG" references the original, Analog Devices AD5791BRUZ based Yggdrasil in the old (tall) chassis.
There was an Analog 1 variant, and an Analog 2 variant. There may have also been a non-Unison and a Unison variant.

The Schiit website says that the Yggdrasil+ GS2 is also an Analog Devices AD5791BRUZ based Yggdrasil, in the new "plus" chassis, with the Analog 1 output cards.
(If this is true, it's the best freaking DAC bargain in the world)
They are still available, but when the AD5791BRUZ chips run out, they will be gone.

The Yggdrasil+ (new chassis design) is available in LiM (TI DAC8812 chipset) and MiB (TI DAC11001B chipset). These DACs are current production machines with Unison USB. As their integrated analog stages are based on the LME49724 differential stage, I don't know if it makes sense to call them "Analog 1" or "Analog 2", bc AFAIK the OG's "Analog 2" boards were designed for the Analog Devices-based DACs.

So... you could have several Yggdrasil variants:
  • No longer in production:
    • OG in the original casework with the Analog Devices DAC, Analog 1 output, and non-Unison USB
    • OG in the original casework with the Analog Devices DAC, Analog 1 output, and Unison USB (maybe, not sure if the Unison USB release was simultaneous with Analog 2...)
    • OG in the original casework with the Analog Devices DAC, Analog 2 output, and Unison USB (this is my original Yggy)
  • On "Last Call" at this time:
    • Yggy+ casework with the Analog Devices DAC, Analog 1 output, and Unison USB (This is the Yggy+ GS2 - get 'em before they're gone!!!)
  • Current production
    • Yggy+ LIM
    • Yggy+ MiB (my new Yggy)

I could be partially or totally wrong, of course, as usual.

/ds
A new Don contender emerges

Don Strimbu!

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:04 AM Post #140,298 of 155,168
Oh now coffee is my jam. I fresh grind my Lavazza Grand Crema in my burr grinder every day and drip brew in my Mocha Master. Drunk only black.
Me too. Some days the Miele, other days the Aeropress. Couldn’t be happier. sumatra or Bajawa for me, black.
1708502646366.jpeg

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #140,299 of 155,168
Running the Aegir 1 four hours, stack on top of Vidar 2, room temp 26.7C, on the top of the Aegir chassis air temp is 29.9C, sound level around 75dB as usual, it runs cooler than the Vidar 2 ~~ :relaxed:

And, it sounds wonderful ...! :L3000:

@Jason Stoddard , thanks for the Heckuva deal :beerchug:

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 13.02.41.png

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #140,300 of 155,168
Mani 2 at work:

IMG_9260.jpeg

Beethoven Emperor Piano Concerto.

IMG_9262.jpeg
A realy nice quartet - the TT, the arm (had the SME 3009 many moons ago), the Mani 2 (using it now) and not least that recording!
Best regards Klaus

Feb 21, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #140,301 of 155,168
IMHO, "OG" references the original, Analog Devices AD5791BRUZ based Yggdrasil in the old (tall) chassis.
There was an Analog 1 variant, and an Analog 2 variant. There may have also been a non-Unison and a Unison variant.

The Schiit website says that the Yggdrasil+ GS2 is also an Analog Devices AD5791BRUZ based Yggdrasil, in the new "plus" chassis, with the Analog 1 output cards.
(If this is true, it's the best freaking DAC bargain in the world)
They are still available, but when the AD5791BRUZ chips run out, they will be gone.

The Yggdrasil+ (new chassis design) is available in LiM (TI DAC8812 chipset) and MiB (TI DAC11001B chipset). These DACs are current production machines with Unison USB. As their integrated analog stages are based on the LME49724 differential stage, I don't know if it makes sense to call them "Analog 1" or "Analog 2", bc AFAIK the OG's "Analog 2" boards were designed for the Analog Devices-based DACs.

So... you could have several Yggdrasil variants:
  • No longer in production:
    • OG in the original casework with the Analog Devices DAC, Analog 1 output, and non-Unison USB
    • OG in the original casework with the Analog Devices DAC, Analog 1 output, and Unison USB (maybe, not sure if the Unison USB release was simultaneous with Analog 2...)
    • OG in the original casework with the Analog Devices DAC, Analog 2 output, and Unison USB (this is my original Yggy)
  • On "Last Call" at this time:
    • Yggy+ casework with the Analog Devices DAC, Analog 1 output, and Unison USB (This is the Yggy+ GS2 - get 'em before they're gone!!!)
  • Current production
    • Yggy+ LIM
    • Yggy+ MiB (my new Yggy)

I could be partially or totally wrong, of course, as usual.

/ds
I have the same original Yggy as you @dstrimbu :beyersmile::
OG in the original casework with the Analog Devices DAC, Analog 2 output, and Unison USB.
It was purchased as a 'true' original (Analogue 1)
I first had it updated with Analogue 2 and USB 5 boards.
I then fitted a Unison USB board myself

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #140,302 of 155,168
I upgraded my coffee game recently:
1000002469.jpg

This is much better then my Gaggia Brera, easier to clean, simple to use and I feel the grinder is a real improvement. Currently using Maromas Orpheus coffee, but also like La Pima Casa that is roasted locally here in Pittsburgh.

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #140,303 of 155,168
I upgraded my coffee game recently:
1000002469.jpg
This is much better then my Gaggia Brera, easier to clean, simple to use and I feel the grinder is a real improvement. Currently using Maromas Orpheus coffee, but also like La Pima Casa that is roasted locally here in Pittsburgh.

Nice, with pressure gauge !

Feb 21, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #140,305 of 155,168
I thought I was being OCD with my comments about calling a Delta-Sigma Gungnir 2 "Gumby". You guys are off the rails!

I agree that the whole A1/A2/OG/GS/G2 thing has to be indecipherable to the layman, but I'm just going to ignore it all and enjoy my Gungnir Multibit "Gumby" OG A2 (a what?).

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #140,307 of 155,168
Coffee is a vehicle for hazelnut creamer for me.

But it's much more complicated than just that. Finding a good chocolaty nutty roast and then getting that perfect blend of bite offsetting the creamy sweetness of the creamer - man, the Heavens rejoice!

*Well, at least my two shoulder angels are glaring at each other in perfect harmony. I'll take any harmony I can get..

Another example of to each his own...

Feb 21, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #140,308 of 155,168
Damn! There's a YGGY A2, Gen 5 USB LIM for sale at a decent price 1.5 hours drive away in Michigan. I just bought the Gumby in December...👀🥺

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #140,309 of 155,168
And...? :smirk:

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #140,310 of 155,168
Heh heh heh ahhh worry not, plenty more life in it! :) Feast your eyes on my old Yggy.....off the very first run. May 2015.

Check the sticker and serial number. It's the "A" original board. When the revised analog section was released by Jason you had to send Yggy in and have them install it. Never new what they did with all those Analog Devices chips on the "A" version original boards, 4 per board.......big pile somewhere.......

But we figured how cool to get 4 new Analog Devices chips too boot. So it's revision "B" now and they slapped on a new "B" board sticker. So original Yggy became a "B" version, an OBA2.... and now it's an OGWHOKNOWS :)
IMG_20231230_133630603~2.jpg
Made for a much better detailed sound stage though.

Oh, how about Gen 4 USB?.......any out there? What came after Gen 3 if memory serves is Gen 5. Mike said it was so good let's skip 4. I think!
I was told by a Dealer, back in Theta Digital days, when I asked, that there is no such thing as Gen 4, the number 4 having somewhat odd characteristics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back