Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 2, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #138,361 of 151,224
Is there consensus amongst the nervosa as to the best material to add to your metal speaker stands to damp* them, ie prevent any ringing or sympathetic vibrations?

I don't play the nervosa game much, or even consensus for that matter, but I use natural clay cat litter to good effect.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #138,362 of 151,224
About 8 years ago we started working with a small component supply company that is headquartered in the UK with offices in Salt Lake and in Asia. Our two companies have grown up together and it has been a good relationship with the usual ups and downs one expects from a close partnership. We provide our supplier with our BOMs and they purchase parts and manage our kits. We tried working with a big supplier but being customer #447328 wasn't really getting the job done.

I work with four board houses presently; San Jose, Salt Lake, Las Vegas, Simi Valley and we are auditioning a house in Texas. We provide the complete kit to each of our CEMs. By doing this we can ensure that the correct parts are being used, that we maintain traceability, and we benefit by purchasing common parts in larger quantities. I personally inspect each of our board houses and our domestic suppliers at least once a year and have short weekly check-in meetings with each house to plan schedules and resolve issues.
Keep up the great work, Schitt products sound so much better than typical consumer electronics crap. Attention to all of those details pays off.

Feb 2, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #138,363 of 151,224
Nobody. But on the bright side, you never have to worry about anybody reading this thread asking to borrow your phone. 🤣
You got that sh… er, stuff right!

Feb 2, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #138,364 of 151,224
* Pet peeve... I appear to be losing this fight, reviews of everything from automotive shocks to turntables and well beyond now incorrectly talk about how the product makes things wetter.
1000009141.jpg

Feb 2, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #138,365 of 151,224
Is there consensus amongst the nervosa as to the best material to add to your metal speaker stands to damp* them, ie prevent any ringing or sympathetic vibrations?

I looked into it last century when I got my stands, and there was a fierce fight going on between lead shot, aquarium sand, and some variation of foam or speaker stuffing. In the end I threw my hands up and have been "listening" to my stands unadulterated and undamped* for the last few decades.

* Pet peeve. Dampening is to make something wetter. Damping is to constrain unwanted oscillations. I appear to be losing this fight, reviews of everything from automotive shocks to turntables and well beyond now incorrectly talk about how the product makes things wetter. I don't want that fluffy stuff inside my speakers dampening my sound. Grrrr.
Your last paragraph nails it concisely and right on point. Well said!

I might add that damping is one approach. Tuning is another. Some components/setups benefit from mass damping, and some benefit from determining the best way to allow resonance(s) to drain away from the components rather than trying to squash them. *Everything* resonates, and how you deal with those resonances can be very audible.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #138,366 of 151,224
Your last paragraph nails it concisely and right on point. Well said!

I might add that damping is one approach. Tuning is another. Some components/setups benefit from mass damping, and some benefit from determining the best way to allow resonance(s) to drain away from the components rather than trying to squash them. *Everything* resonates, and how you deal with those resonances can be very audible.
So true. Yet, like everything else, resonances are best dealt with using a thorough application of... cardboard. 🤣

Feb 2, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #138,368 of 151,224
Or perhaps alternating layers of sorbothane and cardboard for maximum benefit.

Feb 2, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #138,370 of 151,224
So true. Yet, like everything else, resonances are best dealt with using a thorough application of... cardboard. 🤣
Well, yes. Of course. But only for the elite. 🤣

Feb 2, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #138,371 of 151,224
I thought for this application @bcowen prefers sorbothane?
Only when I want to suck all the life and energy out of the system and make it sound like a clock radio covered by a heavy quilt. I haven't had any real urge to do this in, well, I guess ever. 🤣

Feb 2, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #138,372 of 151,224
I have just ordered a copy on CD and look forward to hearing it.
The only Jennifer Warnes album I own is ‘Famous Blue Raincoat’ and I really like that.

Edit: I had a listen to 'Famous Blue Raincoat' CD last night for the first time in years. The sound quality is superb!

It was an audiophile fave when released. Often used to demo gear, along with the Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Sessions. Couldn't avoid them in the Hi-Fi stores...

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #138,373 of 151,224
Stumbled on this album this afternoon. And by "stumbled on", I mean Roon picked it out for me. Never heard of them but going to explore more tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back