Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 2, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #138,377 of 152,709
ninjaed again... note to self...catch up on un read pages before posting...

I tried that, but with the rapid increase in page count it feels like I'm actually falling behind. So if I waited to post I would never engage. I just try to comment on things that aren't too time-sensitive.

(Good luck!)

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #138,378 of 152,709
ninjaed again... note to self...catch up on un read pages before posting...

Just assume if your more than 2 pages behind, you'll have been ninja'd 🤣

Feb 2, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #138,379 of 152,709
Tonight as I was swapping out my Dual fully auto 'table for my Pro-Ject Beatles Singles (manual) player I decided I would put my Onkyo 6 disc CD player in. I cleaned everything up and connected it to my Emotiva XDA2 via coax input. The Emotiva has always been problematic with randomly not playing until I hard boot it. I hate that but I have long been thinking of an end game (for me) CD player such as the Marantz CD60 or their new CD 50n which also has a built in HEOS internet tuner. So...If I actually listen to CDs at least as much as I do records I may finally buy a new player.

This purchase would be based primarily on looks after affordability. I cannot hear any difference in CD players or DACs but I can see one. Shanlings new players look nice but I honestly do not think them as loverly as Marantz's 60 and 50n models. I prefer the silver/gold version of both players. I am not keen at all on buying a new XDA3 even though I think it looks very nice. If the XDA2 digital inputs died, then maybe or maybe I would just use the analog outs? I have a HEOS Link connected to the XDA2 via toslink for (I hate this term) "streaming" of music. It works just fine and if I am listening to Amazon Music UHD it alerts me that the song is frAudiophile approved by displaying the frequency.

I cannot hear any difference, dammit...:L3000:

Any way, most of my listening is via HEOS throughout the house including my garage gym. Records are primarily played in a small room right next to the couch I sit on and I use an Andover Audio Spinbase and subwoofer setup. I rotate my 8 turntables when the mood strikes me. This is more than fine for such as I. So there it is. I will see if I actually listen more via CDs now. If so, I will get a new player that looks cool. If not, the ones I currently own will do just fine.

Feb 2, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #138,381 of 152,709
Tonight as I was swapping out my Dual fully auto 'table for my Pro-Ject Beatles Singles (manual) player I decided I would put my Onkyo 6 disc CD player in. I cleaned everything up and connected it to my Emotiva XDA2 via coax input. The Emotiva has always been problematic with randomly not playing until I hard boot it. I hate that but I have long been thinking of an end game (for me) CD player such as the Marantz CD60 or their new CD 50n which also has a built in HEOS internet tuner. So...If I actually listen to CDs at least as much as I do records I may finally buy a new player.

This purchase would be based primarily on looks after affordability. I cannot hear any difference in CD players or DACs but I can see one. Shanlings new players look nice but I honestly do not think them as loverly as Marantz's 60 and 50n models. I prefer the silver/gold version of both players. I am not keen at all on buying a new XDA3 even though I think it looks very nice. If the XDA2 digital inputs died, then maybe or maybe I would just use the analog outs? I have a HEOS Link connected to the XDA2 via toslink for (I hate this term) "streaming" of music. It works just fine and if I am listening to Amazon Music UHD it alerts me that the song is frAudiophile approved by displaying the frequency.

I cannot hear any difference, dammit...:L3000:

Any way, most of my listening is via HEOS throughout the house including my garage gym. Records are primarily played in a small room right next to the couch I sit on and I use an Andover Audio Spinbase and subwoofer setup. I rotate my 8 turntables when the mood strikes me. This is more than fine for such as I. So there it is. I will see if I actually listen more via CDs now. If so, I will get a new player that looks cool. If not, the ones I currently own will do just fine.

Screenshot_20240202_184724_Chrome.jpg

I mean, 'nuff said, amirite? 😜

Feb 2, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #138,382 of 152,709
Feb 2, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #138,383 of 152,709
Jason,
Fascinating read… the stages of Schiit you go through, to finally stamp an item “shipped” (add burn-in)… it’s as intensive a putting a Boeing 737 MAX together… I’m sure you could teach them a few things… how to run an assembly line…
My Schiit stack…
MJ3, Ygg MIB, Loki Max …
— ☈☡
I like the blower (sucker?) on Mjolnir... cool idea.

ha!

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #138,384 of 152,709
Tonight's tipple is Caol Ila 12 yr. Tasty!
Caol Ila has that slightly waxy mouthfeel, I remember. I believe it is from allowing a carefully calculated amount of the tails into the collection tank - 'tails' being the third part of the three-part distillation process of Heads --> Hearts --> Tails.

Heads: Volatile poisonous compounds that boil out first - great for cleaning things and also part of what made moonshine so dangerous if 'shiners started their collection too early.

Hearts: The yummy part that gets collected for further processing, except when it's whiskey, it's rarely so yummy at this point without aging in oak. Sometimes called White Dog or New Make.

Tails: The heavier compounds that boil off last. Some of this part can be allowed into the collection tank to add a bit of mouthfeel and character to the spirit and is a real part of the distiller's craft. Eventually becomes oily and gross and this part often gets collected separately and re-distilled with the next batch.

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #138,385 of 152,709
I tried that, but with the rapid increase in page count it feels like I'm actually falling behind. So if I waited to post I would never engage. I just try to comment on things that aren't too time -sensitive.

(Good luck!)
Better to just post and apologize or edit later.

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #138,387 of 152,709
This forum SineWave is well known as it wanders all over and is generally accepted or ignored. Except audio equipment… Equipment in this thread is Schiit or Schiit paired stuff right?

Was the post above considering Urd and lost its way? :)
The Urd does not appeal to me visually at all and I do not want just a spinner and if it had the looks I might well overlook it being a transport. I want an all in one in case I do not wish to use a separate DAC. I am quite shallow and since I can not honestly tell any difference in players and/or DACs I want what visually appeals to me. But others here and in the real world say they can and they are quite enthusiastic about the Urd. Yup...Here it comes...

The Urd is the Word.

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #138,388 of 152,709
I built these stands for my LS50 Meta's using 4" ABS pipe with 3/8" threadstock holding the two MDF endcaps. Experimenting with filler, I ended up using paver's sand, letting it compact by applying an orbital sander below the bottom endcap. To my knowledge, aquarium sand particles are rounded, where paver sand is more of a ragged shape, allowing better compaction. Lead shot, out of the question

IMG_5750.png
Is that an Aegir or Vidar monoblock next to your KEF?

Is your photo a cascade mountain range summit?

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #138,389 of 152,709
Phill Cook’s All These Years

Might be my favorite, this is what a Multibit DAC does differently record…
IMG_0105.jpeg

This is solo piano, from the keyboard player I first got to know from psych-folk band Megafun, who also played in several of Justin Vernon from Bon Iver‘s side projects, and probably most notably in Americana band Hiss Golden Messenger,

I don’t know what to call this. It has jazz, blues, gospel and folk, but it’s also only piano. Maybe Modern American Piano Concerta?

Whatever it is, it sounds great and multibit makes it shimmer.

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #138,390 of 152,709
... a fierce fight going on between lead shot, aquarium sand, and some variation of foam or speaker stuffing. ...
For me it came down to lead is poisonous, sand is too finicky with humidity (PA is super humid). I considered coal (very plentiful here in PA) but flammable in dust form. I needed more weight than foam or stuffing would provide.

Sand blaster beads are very dense, are not hydrophilic, are finer than most sands and thus absorb ringing. Pricey, otoh. They are available in aluminium, glass, stainless, or regular steel. Density 3/4 of lead (approx), 2x aluminum.

Looking at that chart, I think storing one's gold (almost 2x lead) in speaker stands may be a good security measure and give the best damping.

Who would look there?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back