Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 2, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #138,346 of 151,224
So, I feel like I recently read some reference to playlist transfers here but I wanted to ask specifically if anyone has experience with transferring playlists from Spotify over to Qobuz? I have to imagine there will be some number of missing songs because the Qobuz catalog isn't quite as robust, even though it's grown considerably over the 3 years I've been a subscriber.

I'd rather spend time with a company who is going to pay artists more fairly instead of giving all the money to Joe Rogan and who isn't still stuck in the yesteryear of lossy streaming. 🙄

Thanks for any pointers! :)
Soundiiz

Feb 2, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #138,347 of 151,224
I believe that's the name that was rattling around in my head. Thanks for confirming, I'll check it out. :)

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #138,348 of 151,224
That was fascinating and mirrors the issues we have in building a (much) simpler machine.

One thing you didn't mention @Jason Stoddard is how you get production boards. I was curious if your board manufacturer procures the components to your spec, or do you supply a parts kit to the board production line?

Cheers
About 8 years ago we started working with a small component supply company that is headquartered in the UK with offices in Salt Lake and in Asia. Our two companies have grown up together and it has been a good relationship with the usual ups and downs one expects from a close partnership. We provide our supplier with our BOMs and they purchase parts and manage our kits. We tried working with a big supplier but being customer #447328 wasn't really getting the job done.

I work with four board houses presently; San Jose, Salt Lake, Las Vegas, Simi Valley and we are auditioning a house in Texas. We provide the complete kit to each of our CEMs. By doing this we can ensure that the correct parts are being used, that we maintain traceability, and we benefit by purchasing common parts in larger quantities. I personally inspect each of our board houses and our domestic suppliers at least once a year and have short weekly check-in meetings with each house to plan schedules and resolve issues.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #138,349 of 151,224
Adding 6kg per stand.. Dotting the i's..20240127_125601.jpg

Is there consensus amongst the nervosa as to the best material to add to your metal speaker stands to damp* them, ie prevent any ringing or sympathetic vibrations?

I looked into it last century when I got my stands, and there was a fierce fight going on between lead shot, aquarium sand, and some variation of foam or speaker stuffing. In the end I threw my hands up and have been "listening" to my stands unadulterated and undamped* for the last few decades.

* Pet peeve. Dampening is to make something wetter. Damping is to constrain unwanted oscillations. I appear to be losing this fight, reviews of everything from automotive shocks to turntables and well beyond now incorrectly talk about how the product makes things wetter. I don't want that fluffy stuff inside my speakers dampening my sound. Grrrr.

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #138,350 of 151,224
Is there consensus amongst the nervosa as to the best material to add to your metal speaker stands to damp* them, ie prevent any ringing or sympathetic vibrations?

I looked into it last century when I got my stands, and there was a fierce fight going on between lead shot, aquarium sand, and some variation of foam or speaker stuffing. In the end I threw my hands up and have been "listening" to my stands unadulterated and undamped* for the last few decades.

* Pet peeve. Dampening is to make something wetter. Damping is to constrain unwanted oscillations. I appear to be losing this fight, reviews of everything from automotive shocks to turntables and well beyond now incorrectly talk about how the product makes things wetter. I don't want that fluffy stuff inside my speakers dampening my sound. Grrrr.
Lead shot.

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #138,351 of 151,224
About 8 years ago we started working with a small component supply company that is headquartered in the UK with offices in Salt Lake and in Asia. Our two companies have grown up together and it has been a good relationship with the usual ups and downs one expects from a close partnership. We provide our supplier with our BOMs and they purchase parts and manage our kits. We tried working with a big supplier but being customer #447328 wasn't really getting the job done.

I work with four board houses presently; San Jose, Salt Lake, Las Vegas, Simi Valley and we are auditioning a house in Texas. We provide the complete kit to each of our CEMs. By doing this we can ensure that the correct parts are being used, that we maintain traceability, and we benefit by purchasing common parts in larger quantities. I personally inspect each of our board houses and our domestic suppliers at least once a year and have short weekly check-in meetings with each house to plan schedules and resolve issues.
Alex: Who actually makes the boards themselves?

Ignoring the "no serviceable parts inside" label, I love the clean internal layout of your products - maybe an acrylic cover option? (kidding)

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #138,352 of 151,224
Re cats: perhaps we should have used this on the Folkvangr heat warning screen:

1706571619799.png

Seriously, no ill will towards cats or children--we'd rather they be safe.

And I think this makes the heat issue real clear???
One of my furry idots decided to sleep on top of our ASUS router. Not as hot as a tube amp, and yet...

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #138,353 of 151,224

I built these stands for my LS50 Meta's using 4" ABS pipe with 3/8" threadstock holding the two MDF endcaps. Experimenting with filler, I ended up using paver's sand, letting it compact by applying an orbital sander below the bottom endcap. To my knowledge, aquarium sand particles are rounded, where paver sand is more of a ragged shape, allowing better compaction. Lead shot, out of the question

IMG_5750.png

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #138,354 of 151,224
I am vehemently against this one point. The reason being that this is, in essence, the official Schiit thread on the entire internet. Any discussion being held here of modifications done to Schiit products is pretty much guaranteed to be misinterpreted by the casual observer of this thread (which is most people, especially when following links to any of those potential Schiit-mods-discussing posts pointing here from other forums) to be akin to an official endorsement of the practice.

Schiit's position on modding has been made abundantly clear over and over again: Don't do it.
And as such, I see absolutely no place for that topic on this thread.

…in my (not so) humble opinion, anyway.
I returned to this thread after a few days. I can see how much of a litigious disaster it would be for having dudes screwdriver Schiit kit. I respect your point, @ArmchairPhilosopher

To potential new Schiit Audio owners: the warnings are put on the chasis FOR A REASON. Do. Not. Access. The. Inner. Chassis. If you do any of your own repairs, it is at your own risk.

I have a broken Fulla sitting in my parts bin. I'll make stupid decisions on my own time. :ksc75smile:

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #138,355 of 151,224
I second this—Jason’s forum channel here is like the biblical text of the company as well as one of the main spots for unveiling new products, making announcements and official comments on gear questions etc. adding modification seems antithetical to Schiit and also imho it implies in schiit’s own channel that the gear isn’t good enough to stand on its own.

Now if you do feel that way, cool, but it’s not exactly something I want from the Schiit official lore channel. I think the only level of mods I would wanna see talked about would involve tube rolling. I don’t think Jason has issue there, but I don’t wanna speak for him or the company.

TLDR you are correct
Valid points, @misterpumpy :smile_phones:
Ibid.

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #138,356 of 151,224
I know we all (on mostly) leave our DAC's on all the time, but do you leave your Lokius or Loki Max on? Been turning mine off because it's a little warmer than the DAC's, any reason it would or would not benefit from warmup time?
+1. I leave my Loki plugged in. No obvious issues.

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #138,357 of 151,224
+1. I leave my Loki plugged in. No obvious issues.
Got a lot of response, seemed about 50/50, which is interesting, and mirrors a very old forum and survey I once saw on the Hoffman forums.

Fwiw I am now leaving my lokius on in my office setup, but feel like my Max runs a little warmer and I turn off since it is under a Freya.

That said, the opinion I was looking for is whether there is any reason to believe a Loki/Lokius benefits at all from extended warm up time the way DAC's and amps seem to...

Feb 2, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #138,358 of 151,224

Thanks @Alex Martin, fascinating stuff!

Cheers

Feb 2, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #138,359 of 151,224
Sad but true, and some states seem to be worse than others. In one particular state (I'll leave it at that so as not to offend) left lane hogging was so bad the state legislature even passed a specific law a couple years ago stating that on an access-controlled highway, the left lane could only be used for passing or overtaking another vehicle. Sadly it's not enforced. At all.
My hometown, Toronto, has its own travel advisory wrt running red lights. Our Highway 401. Oooh Oooh... Highway 410. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back