Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 1, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #138,166 of 152,215
Feb 1, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #138,167 of 152,215
I am curious how they determine one's 'substantial beer knowledge'? Take a quiz at the door or something?
I am not sure lol, I guess if you walk in and ask for Budweiser or Pabst they turn their noses up at you? :ksc75smile: I think it is more like what you are drinking from their fine list of beers. In the past I can recall Gulden Draak on tap. We went on a bit of a bar crawl so my memory is a bit hazy.

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #138,168 of 152,215
ROFL! You beat me to it.

I hope it was multiple choice and not an essay test. Or worse, a math test. I would have only qualified for water. 🤣
Ah! How utterly demeaning and demoralizing it would be to be handed the Water Menu along with a contemptuous glare from the waiter! 🤪

And on that Water Menu are only two items:
Coors Light and actual water. :wink:

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #138,169 of 152,215
ROFL! You beat me to it.

I hope it was multiple choice and not an essay test. Or worse, a math test. I would have only qualified for water. 🤣
:beerchug:

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #138,170 of 152,215
Ah! How utterly demeaning and demoralizing it would be to be handed the Water Menu along with a contemptuous glare from the waiter! 🤪

Is there a difference? 🤣

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #138,171 of 152,215

You can order plenty of different beers of course. :ksc75smile: A historic restaurant that has the best oysters and lobster is Old Ebbitt Grill near the White House, a dining spot for many past presidents and congressmen. Wonderful food and atmosphere as well as a fine bar.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #138,174 of 152,215
One tastes kinda-sorta like hops? If you squint...
Back to work for me, I have been asking about Starlight bourbons but so far I only found blackberry flavored lol. That is not for me.

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #138,176 of 152,215
Back to work for me, I have been asking about Starlight bourbons but so far I only found blackberry flavored lol. That is not for me.
That would be... interesting. I mean, I'd try it for sure, but whether or not there'd be a follow-up sip, that's the question.

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #138,177 of 152,215
Nice ... an S-Class on the autobahn! Don't flash your lights, that is rude. The Germans will move over, anyway ... they get it.

Flashing to pass is standard practice in Europe. Only in the US some get upset with it.

Unfortunately in the US lane speed hierarchy is non existent.

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #138,178 of 152,215
Flashing to pass is standard practice in Europe.
No, it's not.

In Germany, tailgating and flashing at someone can, under certain circumstances, constitute a statutory offense under the traffic code. (Tailgating always does, while flashing alone might not. But only if your intent was to warn someone of some sort of imminent danger, like damage to their car that they may not have noticed yet.)

The legal term for that offense is "Nötigung." No idea what the exact English equivalent would be, but Nötigung is the legal term for when you limit someone else's freedom of will or movement through the use of threats or violence. And the penalties that incurs are no joke.
"Duress" would come close in its colloquial meaning, but it isn't quite the same in legal terms.

That doesn't mean that people won't flash at you in Europe, of course. And some, like you, falsely think that it's "standard practice." But it's still very much illegal.

Kinda like driving in the middle or left lane for extended periods of time over here. Just as illegal, yet nobody seems to give two s#its, because "standard practice."

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #138,179 of 152,215
Flashing to pass is standard practice in Europe. Only in the US some get upset with it.

Unfortunately in the US lane speed hierarchy is non existent.
Sad but true, and some states seem to be worse than others. In one particular state (I'll leave it at that so as not to offend) left lane hogging was so bad the state legislature even passed a specific law a couple years ago stating that on an access-controlled highway, the left lane could only be used for passing or overtaking another vehicle. Sadly it's not enforced. At all.

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #138,180 of 152,215
No, it's not.

In Germany, tailgating and flashing at someone can, under certain circumstances, constitute a statutory offense under the traffic code. (Tailgating always does, while flashing alone might not. But only if your intent was to warn someone of some sort of imminent danger, like damage to their car that they may not have noticed yet.)

The legal term for that offense is "Nötigung." No idea what the exact English equivalent would be, but Nötigung is the legal term for when you limit someone else's freedom of will or movement through the use of threats or violence. And the penalties that incurs are no joke.
"Duress" would come close in its colloquial meaning, but it isn't quite the same in legal terms.

That doesn't mean that people won't flash at you in Europe, of course. And some, like you, falsely think that it's "standard practice." But it's still very much illegal.

Kinda like driving in the middle or left lane for extended periods of time over here. Just as illegal, yet nobody seems to give two s#its, because "standard practice."
Well that’s unfortunate. People feel easily threatened nonsense. Being hit by photons causes no damage at that power level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back