Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 1, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #138,196 of 155,073
The Delerium Noël is terrific! World Market got gift sets of it, and then put them on clearance the day after Christmas, so I’m stocked. Their non-yule beers are also very very good, for a “young” brewery 😉.
Yeah, as Belgian breweries go, Huyghe is just a kid... founded in 1906, although it has roots back to 1654 (or so they say).
I totally enjoy their Delirium golden ale, but at ~10% alcohol it's dangerous.

Feb 1, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #138,197 of 155,073
It appears, for this new member, that the wallet has already been wounded.
Nice set-up, @NoxPlague, and welcome. :)
Haha yup!
For what it's worth, I always interpreted the wallet phrase to be perpetual / not tied to a point in space & time...

I felt / I feel / I will feel 🤣

Sorry for your wallet!

Feb 1, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #138,198 of 155,073
Kinda like driving in the middle or left lane for extended periods of time over here. Just as illegal, yet nobody seems to give two s#its, because "standard practice."
You say "standard practice" to be polite... I just say stupid (or a total lack of situational awareness).
There are 'muricans who feel that it's their civic duty to sit in the left lane at the speed limit, to stop others from driving too fast.

That wouldn't work in Deutschland, either. <g>

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #138,199 of 155,073
Haha yup!
For what it's worth, I always interpreted the wallet phrase to be perpetual / not tied to a point in space & time...

I felt / I feel / I will feel 🤣

Sorry for your wallet!
Now that is one of the most healthy and objective ways to look at this hobby that I have heard, maybe ever.
Where you been hiding all this time? We need guidance!!
:)

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #138,200 of 155,073
** I work for a school district and my office is located in one of our campus bldgs. If I have a weapon anywhere withing 300' of the school, it's bye-bye. Even if left in the car, a random K9 parking lot search would result in a K9 hit and a hell of a lot of felony-level trouble for me.
Yeah, so? Chicken. :smile:

(obviously just kidding. I think it's admirable that your district takes this seriously and has measures in place to enforce it)

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #138,201 of 155,073
If someone hogs the left lane, they're in the wrong. But that doesn't give you the right to flash at them to essentially push them out of your way. Nor does driving a car that happens to be faster than theirs.
The same laws that protect others from your motorized ego trip protects you from those who behave even worse.
Treat others as you would like to be treated. One would hope that this makes at least some intuitive sense to you.
We Americans had a bit of trouble understanding this when we started our rotating assignments in the former GDR. But, most of us figured it out, and quickly. One who didn't was our (kind of an ass) VP who was pushy and hard-headed by nature. He was once pulled over by the Polizei on an autobahn (I know - very rare!) for aggressive driving and flashing his lights. He asked the officer what he did wrong ... the officer told him "you didn't break a law, I just need to inform you about your rude behavior." It might have helped him, a little. :)

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #138,202 of 155,073
2024, Chapter 2
Jason’s Law

*snip*

So yeah. Apologies on the delay. But sometimes that's how things work out. I hope this short chapter helps you understand where some of these delays may come from.
I was nodding and saying "yep" to myself all the way through.

Another good example - a new laser we're working on, it has multiple precision machined components including the housing with sub 0.001" tolerances made from aluminum, copper, tungsten-copper, stainless, et al. A main circuit board containing laser diode drive current circuitry, TEC control circuitry, and others. All with 0203-sized components and capable of driving 400A current pulses on the order of 100µs width. Plus highly specialized and tightly toleranced optical components. Appropriate to this conversation is getting the main circuit board built. We design the circuit board and then work with one of several contract manufacturers (in the US) to get them built. We get a Rev. A and send it to the CM to quote. They come back saying they can't get parts, r, s, t, u, z, aa, ad, bd, ed. Those are special one-of-a-kind parts that have very limited parts crosses. So, another redesign to Rev. B. The CM says "Great! We can get those parts, but now these parts are out of stock...but! their crosses have a different footprint. So, a Rev. C board spin. Everything looks good from the CM's standpoint and we get the quote to build a prototype batch of 5. We greelight that build, get it in and test them and find several issues. Unfortunately that means another board spin, so the whole process starts anew. So much fun involved!

Different industries but (unfortunately) similar problems.

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #138,203 of 155,073
You say "standard practice" to be polite... I just say stupid (or a total lack of situational awareness).
There are 'muricans who feel that it's their civic duty to sit in the left lane at the speed limit, to stop others from driving too fast.

That wouldn't work in Deutschland, either. <g>
Those speed limit vigilantes are among the lowest grade of American citizenry and are a detriment to the quality of life in this country. They create enormous risk by stacking cars behind them in two lanes because nobody can pass and keep traffic more spaced out.

Lemme tell ya how I really feel.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #138,204 of 155,073
Or I could just pass them on the right. :wink:

** I work for a school district and my office is located in one of our campus bldgs. If I have a weapon anywhere withing 300' of the school, it's bye-bye. Even if left in the car, a random K9 parking lot search would result in a K9 hit and a hell of a lot of felony-level trouble for me.
True, but not as stringent for an individual who is licensed to carry a concealed firearm in the great state of Texas. I do mean just barely not as stringent.

Obtaining the license is meant edumacate us on proper care and handle of these weapons of last resort. Now that concealed carry no longer requires a license in Texas, I feel we are missing out on the opportunity to reach those who at least want to learn.

Sigh...

At least there's no license or permit required for this tasty Barbacoa (barbecue? BBQ?):

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/veras-backyard-bar-b-que/

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #138,205 of 155,073
Those speed limit vigilantes are among the lowest grade of American citizenry and are a detriment to the quality of life in this country. They create enormous risk by stacking cars behind them in two lanes because nobody can pass and keep traffic more spaced out.

Lemme tell ya how I really feel.

LMAO. Slow down, put a good sound system in the car and enjoy your time in the car instead of stressing out about other people's behavior.

The fact you think speed limit vigilantes are among the lowest grade of American citizens tells me you aren't paying attention.... I mean some people actually consider that Texas slop BBQ.

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #138,206 of 155,073
In Texas we have legal open weapons carry and no license required for concealed weapon carry. With road rage being a bigger and bigger problem, I use the left lane only for passing and never flash my headlights. :fearful:
Correct-a-mundo. And no brake checking either, and you need to watch your six if you lift and coast in trying to get someone to back off.

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #138,207 of 155,073
LMAO. Slow down, put a good sound system in the car and enjoy your time in the car instead of stressing out about other people's behavior.

The fact you think speed limit vigilantes are among the lowest grade of American citizens tells me you aren't paying attention.... I mean some people actually consider that Texas slop BBQ.
I can't say anything about that, I live in a state that doesn't even have BBQ. 😞

We do know our way around a good beer, though... 🍺🤤☺️😌🫠😴

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #138,208 of 155,073
I can't say anything about that, I live in a state that doesn't even have BBQ. 😞

Good beer gets you a third of the components needed for good BBQ, you also need good friends and of course a good mustard based BBQ sauce. :ksc75smile:

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #138,209 of 155,073
That would be... interesting. I mean, I'd try it for sure, but whether or not there'd be a follow-up sip, that's the question.
My wife bought me cherry flavored bourbon once, I just added Coke and figured I had cherry coke.😉 Otherwise, blechhhhh.

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #138,210 of 155,073

This means you don't have to endure TX BBQ, which is a great feature of your state. Lucky you! 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back