Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 9, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #135,437 of 151,191
Labskaus is corned beef ,onion and potatoes cooked in broth then its finely minced , served with pickles and fried egg or green herb / caper sauce ( . A Hamburg docks speciality ! sticks to yer ribs style food , utterly impossible to BBQ - in Liverpool ( another dock city ) a similar concoction is allowed to cool and solidify and served in sandwiches known as a Skaus butty!

labskaus-default.jpg

Recipe - taken from internet , loads of variations and opinions on this purple gloop !!

The recipe for Hamburger Labskaus​

Ingredients for four people
  • 800 g potatoes (floury)
  • 500 g beetroot
  • 360 g corned beef
  • 2 small onions
  • 40 ml beef broth
  • 60 ml pickle water
  • 4 gherkins
  • 4 Rollmops
  • 4 eggs
  • 40 g cumin
  • 4 bay leaves
  • salt, pepper
  • 4 eggs (to taste)
Preparation:
Cook the beetroot for about an hour until it is nice and soft. Peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters, cook them with the cumin and bay leaves for about 20 minutes until soft. Then press through a potato ricer. Peel the beetroot (preferably wearing disposable gloves) and finely mash it with a fork. Peel the onions and cut them into fine cubes. In a colander, pour boiling water over it.
Cut the corned beef into bite-sized pieces and toss in a bowl with potatoes, beetroot, broth, cucumber water, and onions. Fry fried eggs to taste and serve the labskaus with rollmops, pickles and fried eggs.
Instead of rollmops, matjes fillet or pickled herring can also be served with the Labskaus, alternatively the fish can be omitted altogether. With fresh minced beef instead of corned beef and a poached egg, the classic Labskaus gets a noble note and is excellent as an appetizer or main course.
That looks delicious and here I am having a salad for lunch because my cholesterol is too high.

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #135,438 of 151,191
Fixed the quote in your sig file: "Inedible is inedible and you don't get extra brownie points for making it twice as inedible..."
Isn't this the state motto for North Carolina? Or is it Georgia? 🤔

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #135,439 of 151,191
Fixed the quote in your sig file: "Inedible is inedible and you don't get extra brownie points for making it twice as inedible..."
.... with a slight alteration ('intolerable') ===> Philips ECG? ....

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #135,441 of 151,191
What are you, an astronomer or something? 🤣🤣

(sorry....I grew up in the age when Pluto was still a planet)
Pluto is NOT a planet!

1704819879102.png

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #135,442 of 151,191
My updated "review" of the Yggy+ GS2

albumcobweb.jpg
ROFL!!! After my old eyes and not-as-steady hands spent half a day installing and tweaking out the cartridge after my last move, my love affair with LP's is starting to fade. I still love listening to them, but the labor involved is less and less appealing. Or maybe I'm just lazy. No, I *am* just lazy. 🤣

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #135,443 of 151,191
I prefer Schiit talking to sh!t talking. Let's get back to audio, cats, cardboard, tubes, BBQ, sports (ugh!), great new finds in music, automobiles, and other obscure and random topics on the curve.
Yes! Seems we haven't had proper discussions on contact enhancers just yet. 🤣

(I can already envision the sun high in the sky over the open field, the warring factions gathering on either side with their swords and spears held high overhead....)

Graphene Contact Enhancer.jpg

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #135,444 of 151,191
ROFL!!! After my old eyes and not-as-steady hands spent half a day installing and tweaking out the cartridge after my last move, my love affair with LP's is starting to fade. I still love listening to them, but the labor involved is less and less appealing. Or maybe I'm just lazy. No, I *am* just lazy. 🤣
... then there is the demagnetising of the moving-coil cartridge coils, of the step-up transformer ... 😐

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #135,445 of 151,191
... then there is the demagnetising of the moving-coil cartridge coils, of the step-up transformer ... 😐
....and having to replace the 9-volt battery connector in the Fozgometer 'cause I'd left the battery in and it leaked and corroded the contacts. Fortunately I had removed the batteries in the Benz demagnetizer, so only had to put in new ones. But all that is trivial compared to getting the tangency and overhang to the nth degree of accuracy. OCD sucks. 🤣

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #135,446 of 151,191
....and having to replace the 9-volt battery connector in the Fozgometer 'cause I'd left the battery in and it leaked and corroded the contacts. Fortunately I had removed the batteries in the Benz demagnetizer, so only had to put in new ones. But all that is trivial compared to getting the tangency and overhang to the nth degree of accuracy. OCD sucks. 🤣
Then ... with ultraOCD ... adjusting VTA to compensate for LP thickness ... (eg, RCA 'dynagroove' 😡)

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #135,447 of 151,191
huh, wonder where i got that idea. I could have sworn I read about a nasty problem somewhere. Sorry to raise concerns or spread misinfo if that was not the case
A perfect example of the internet in 2024 specifically, and head-fi in general. I cringe when I stop to think of all the misinformation I read on these forums stated as fact. Noobies beware!

Enjoy the music! :beerchug:

Leo

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #135,448 of 151,191
This is why unless the tonearm goes ice-skating across the platter or continuously skips I just listen to the music. When the music stops on either one of my fully automatic or semi-auto players the arm returns and everything stops until I come over and flip the record over and start again. With the manual 'tables it's a little more involved but the end result is the same. I refuse to spoil the memories by fixating on VTA when listening to music.

The equipment exists to play back the music. Never forget, the Doobies sang "Listen To The Music" not "Listen To The Equipment". I have 7 'tables now that I rotate in/out of my main listening room. Setup consists of me disconnecting the current 'table and then carefully setting it aside on the couch and then placing the "new" player on the table and hooking it up and finally placing the previous unit out of rotation. I have to be careful because I am now more than ever officially handicapable and tend to fall a LOT. :L3000::ksc75smile: Fortunately I have never broken a bone or my sense of humor.

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #135,450 of 151,191
I said to myself: "That's enough Jazz for tonight. Just listen to 1 or 2 cuts of Fleetwood Mac Rumors and then call it a night."

Well, I finally stopped after all of the Rumors album, and then all of the Fleetwood Mac album, followed by the entirety of the Tusk album! Holy-cow!! Just when I think I've heard the best Yggy+ GS 2 and my 2 channel speaker rig has to offer it says "Pffft. Hold my beer" and then proceeds to throw even more of wonderous, luscious, and detailed sounds at me than I've experienced before! Fleetwood Mac never sounded better! Heck, my music has never sounded better! :heart_eyes:

(If ony I could find a way to get paid to listen to my music all and all night day long, I'd never go to work.)

My updated "review" of the Yggy+ GS2

albumcobweb.jpg
Gentlemen,

How many days on your GS 2's so far?

I'm on day 21 today.
My LP's haven't gotten a lot of love lately either, but they're not going anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back