Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 9, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #128,012 of 151,870
Be careful searching for "hard drives" too...! Nothing computer related about a few of the matches...! 🤣 🤣
Do they involve slamming a blown 8 through a tight back twisty?

Oct 9, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #128,013 of 151,870
Freya N arrived today on my day off! Hooked up to my powered AudioEngines and firing away some sweet sweet Jaimie Branch tunes from her latest (posthumous) album as a FLAC Bandcamp download. It's called Fly or Die Fly or Die Fly or Die ((world war)) and it might be the best album of the year for me. Wowza!

The pre was the first component of my planned system upgrade because it served the immediate need of switching between sources instead of hooking up a different RCA to the back of the speaker for each source - that got old.

These AudioEngine A5+ are no real slouches but man, it sure seems as if the sound cleaned up quite a bit with the Freya in the chain. It came with a gaggle of different Noval tubes that don't match each other at all. I kind of assume these all get tested and matched to some degree before sending them out? This is truly a hodgepodge of tubes!

I'll post pics in the next post...

Oct 9, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #128,014 of 151,870
IMG_5303.jpeg
IMG_5304.jpeg
IMG_5308.jpeg
IMG_5310.jpeg

Oct 9, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #128,015 of 151,870
Oct 9, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #128,016 of 151,870
They most likely all match within a certain % even though the markings are different.
I'm not noticing any channel mismatching or anything untowards.

Oct 9, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #128,017 of 151,870
"Thousands of tubes still on board in original cartons!"

I can hear the commands now, " Stand by to make sail! Lay aloft and loose topgallants! Clear away the jib!"
As the "Tube Pirates of the Carolina's" prepare to set sail.
Thousands of NOS tubes? What you will hear is "Prepare to repel boarders".

Oct 9, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #128,018 of 151,870
I once experienced a full MBL Ultimate Extreme setup by following the sound of Taiko from down a hall at RMAF and thinking it was a live performance. When I realized it was the MBL setup I was astounded. This remains the most realistic recorded music playback I've ever experienced, and I vowed if I ever won a large lottery, I'd own this system (and a custom-built room to house it.)
or a custom-built house so you could put it in a room!!!

Oct 9, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #128,019 of 151,870
Doing well, it is your headphone cable I hoped to start soon. I taught a couple people how to do four and eight wire braids then forgot everything I knew about it so I need to learn again.😀 I will be using a quality litz wire that requires a bit of skill to solder properly. There is also getting the wire inside individual braided mesh.🤔
At your age, forgetting something is normal, and you can rejoice in learning something new [that you forgot]. Welcome to seniorville!

Oct 9, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #128,020 of 151,870
Mmmm tubes.🤪 Unfortunately I am in my shop waiting for a friend to pick up an old Pioneer receiver so I have that running. I hoped to start on a purple headphone cable except Finnegan is on my lap waiting for something to attack.🐯
Indulge him - wave some cable or paracord around!

Oct 9, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #128,024 of 151,870
Indulge him - wave some cable or paracord around!
Lol I shot a rubber band across the room, he fetches and drops it at my feet so I will keep playing.😁

Oct 9, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #128,025 of 151,870
May I inquire why cork flooring rates "never again?"
It's not pure cork, it's engineered flooring designed to be laid right on top of the subfloor. The typical rough cork on the bottom, and polished cork on top. It's super clingy, nothing slides on it - and it's just as fragile as the normal stuff. Can't take spikes, can't take casters (too soft), so all furniture needs to go on sanded pieces of scrap wood. To use what feels like famous last words - "it wasn't an issue until I got into audio..."

I did finally unite the Mjolnir 3 and Tyrs to power the JBL setup, which promptly ruined John Wick 4 for me (especially the scenes with Le Castle Vania putting the hammer down). Nothing else I have comes even close to the emotional impact, not even LCD-4's running off the same Mjolnir.

I'll post photos if and when I solve the space issue, I'm sure I'm not the only madman that insists on shoving Tyrs UNDER speakers... right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back