Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 19, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #12,781 of 150,081

Do an image search for it.  According to a friend who has one, the programming interface was difficult.  I think they are no longer made.

I looked. We want tubes........
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #12,783 of 150,081
  On Amazon it's listed as "Currently unavailable" and if I'm not wrong, it's not by Google it's by Art Lebedev. We know that Schiit will be able to get them out. Hell with the OLEDs we want Tubes.

I remember that project from years ago. It's been a flop pretty much and was plagued by multiple issues/delays...

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #12,784 of 150,081

Heh.  OLEDs are still pretty exotic, with their short life and size problems.  I had a phone with an OLED display, and it was gorgeous.

But we all know that OLEDs produce harsh treble. and Nixie Tubes have warmer clicks. 
blink.gif

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #12,786 of 150,081

Heh.  OLEDs are still pretty exotic, with their short life and size problems.  I had a phone with an OLED display, and it was gorgeous.

The fear of a short lifespan for OLED is overexaggerated IMO, at least for the TV's. The tech has advanced over the last couple of years, and will continue to.

A quote from an LGE representative earlier this year:  "The life expectancy of LG OLED is 30K hours to 50K hours to half brightness. Only coming from the use/on time of the panel; not from being off. That is 7 days a week, 6 hrs a day to reach 14.5 years to 20 years to half brightness. If a customer watches the TV in Vivid mode they will be closer to the 14.5 year number. If the customer has the OLED calibrated (or run in Cinema mode) they will be at the 20 year to half brightness level. Calibration is not only good for panel life but picture quality also; it is a win win! 2016 models will have substantially increased hours that can not be released until product ships, but I expect them to be brighter."

That quote was from very early this year, and I believe since then, LGE has revised this upward again. With TV's, as with most tech, the advances will continue at varying paces, but I'd count on TV's to have gotten quite a bit better in 5 years time or so, and people will have upgraded again to the latest and greatest. That will be well before the current OLED set has died from old age. 

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #12,787 of 150,081

Just read an article citing a near 33% decimation (144,000) in total African elephant population from poaching between 2007 and 2014.  Even national wildlife preserves are no longer considered to be their safe refuge.  Extrapolating, total extinction in the wild = ?   

Various estimates put it somewhere between 2020 to 2040. there are only about 475,000 African elephants in the wild now, down from 3 to 5 million last century. And the sale of ivory goes largely to fund terrorism.

But people would rather talk about keyboards...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/24/african-elephants-could-be-extinct-in-wild-within-decades-say-experts 

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #12,788 of 150,081

Hey, mechanical keyboards have been endangered too just some time ago...

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #12,790 of 150,081
  The fear of a short lifespan for OLED is overexaggerated IMO, at least for the TV's. The tech has advanced over the last couple of years, and will continue to.

A quote from an LGE representative earlier this year:  "The life expectancy of LG OLED is 30K hours to 50K hours to half brightness. Only coming from the use/on time of the panel; not from being off. That is 7 days a week, 6 hrs a day to reach 14.5 years to 20 years to half brightness. If a customer watches the TV in Vivid mode they will be closer to the 14.5 year number. If the customer has the OLED calibrated (or run in Cinema mode) they will be at the 20 year to half brightness level. Calibration is not only good for panel life but picture quality also; it is a win win! 2016 models will have substantially increased hours that can not be released until product ships, but I expect them to be brighter."

That quote was from very early this year, and I believe since then, LGE has revised this upward again. With TV's, as with most tech, the advances will continue at varying paces, but I'd count on TV's to have gotten quite a bit better in 5 years time or so, and people will have upgraded again to the latest and greatest. That will be well before the current OLED set has died from old age. 

Bought an LG OLED tv earlier this year. They are absolutely gorgeous.

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #12,791 of 150,081
Once again this thread is on the 5:15 train to Bum-Fudge-Egypt, with detours through Keyboard Land and Hippieville. Next stop, Election Town!

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #12,792 of 150,081

Other than the logistical problems (like, restarting Nixie tube production and building a new production line to make the all-new designs--since AFAIK no alphanumeric Nixie tubes were made), the 1/3W that most Nixie tubes draw might be a problem. You're looking at 35W or so in a 101-key keyboard, plus the losses in the power supply, so let's say 50W dissipation average, which would get you a keyboard that runs 25 degrees C or so above ambient temperature. And you might not want to spill the Dr. Pepper on it, since it will have a 170V power supply rail.

Monroe 1655 - learned programming on one of these back in about 1973 or 74 or so. Yes, those are Nixie tubes. The display stayed live while it calculated, so you'd get caught up watching the number scroll through. Learned logical programming and a ton about sequences and series with one of these. I remember seeing a preamp at CES many years ago that had two Nixie tubes to show the volume level.

Sep 20, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #12,794 of 150,081
  Various estimates put it somewhere between 2020 to 2040. there are only about 475,000 African elephants in the wild now, down from 3 to 5 million last century. And the sale of ivory goes largely to fund terrorism.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/24/african-elephants-could-be-extinct-in-wild-within-decades-say-experts 

Doing the math, that works out to about 113 elephants every 2 days.  That rate of decimation is just staggering.  And people talk about blood diamonds.

Silk hats saved the beaver.  Ground petroleum saved the sperm whale.  Maybe 3-D printing will save the day.  Molded plastic certainly doesn't.  But carved ivory must stimulate avarice at a visceral level.  Bone art.  Buh bye, pachyderm.  Again.  Hunted to extinction.

There's a bull elephant, now dead (of course), that demonstrated learned behavior in habitually hiding his large tusks among the bushes.  Wasn't enough. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back