Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 22, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #12,812 of 150,208

Can't you just come out of your DAC with 2 outputs? 
Or...are you using the DAC in the Jot?

Talking about a preamp. I have multiple sources (turntable, DAC, physical disk player) and need a variable output to go to my speaker amp, plus a fixed output to go to  whichever headphone amp I have hooked up.

I currently switch between two preamp/line stages - a Burson Conductor Virtuoso and a small DIY passive line stage. My biggest issue with using the Burson as a preamp (I don't us its DAC) is that it lacks a fixed output, so I can't use my Valhalla or the ampsandsound Mogwai I've got on loan. My DIY passive has two switchable outputs, fixed and variable, to feed both speakers and headphone amps. Only issue with the passive is it lacks a remote, which is handy when listening to the server on shuffle.

So, I am hoping the upcoming Schiit preamp will support external headphone amps via a fixed output, maybe even multiple fixed outputs to support more than one headphone amp at a time.

Sep 22, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #12,813 of 150,208

Talking about a preamp. I have multiple sources (turntable, DAC, physical disk player) and need a variable output to go to my speaker amp, plus a fixed output to go to  whichever headphone amp I have hooked up.

I currently switch between two preamp/line stages - a Burson Conductor Virtuoso and a small DIY passive line stage. My biggest issue with using the Burson as a preamp (I don't us its DAC) is that it lacks a fixed output, so I can't use my Valhalla or the ampsandsound Mogwai I've got on loan. My DIY passive has two switchable outputs, fixed and variable, to feed both speakers and headphone amps. Only issue with the passive is it lacks a remote, which is handy when listening to the server on shuffle.

So, I am hoping the upcoming Schiit preamp will support external headphone amps via a fixed output, maybe even multiple fixed outputs to support more than one headphone amp at a time.

Well, if you can afford to relegate a $1400 DAC to being just an input switch, and you're impatient, you could always sell it and your DIY passive and replace them both with the aforementioned Dodocus UBox4c, only 500€ with remote. 

bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 22, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #12,814 of 150,208

Well, if you can afford to relegate a $1400 DAC to being just an input switch, and you're impatient, you could always sell it and your DIY passive and replace them both with the aforementioned Dodocus UBox4c, only 500€ with remote. 

bigsmile_face.gif

The Burson is not mine to sell. I just have the use of it for now. It is a surprisingly good preamp (especially for a solid state device), Very neutral and transparent. My passive is a simple inexpensive high quality pot in a box that can switch inputs and two outputs. About $90 in parts. Sounds great when I can get away with no gain. Driving my high efficiency speakers with the Mogwai (about 3 watts) needed the gain from the preamp. Just meant that during that time I couldn't use any of my headphone amps.

Sep 22, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #12,815 of 150,208
  I'm more interested in good sound. :)

So are we all, but that's a given from Jason, Mike, et al. Nixies, magic eyes and other gingerbread are fun, in a sort of steampunk-retro-mid-century-modern way. Do I seriously expect to find such features on new Schiit? Not at all. Jason has delivered Porsche Speedsters, not Nissan GTRs. Or, you could say that it's unrealistic to expect Schiit to go from Bauhaus to Gaudi. Heck, I'd be thrilled to get a balance control. (Hint, hint...)

BTW, the new Sutherland preamp ($8K) uses a couple of nixie tubes. As for magic eyes, they would probably go on the power amp, in  place of a meter. Think Cary did this a few years back.

Ah, well, just a bit of wishful thinking. But a bit more On Topic than keyboards...
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #12,817 of 150,208

I could see there being a fixed set of XLR and RCA outputs, but it doesn't really make sense to have multiples of each. Just get some splitter cables (split pyst?)

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #12,818 of 150,208
All this speculation about products that may or may not even exist always cracks me up.  I have it on good authority that Schiit's preamp will use solely their new proprietary connector, "Piece-O" which allows better sparkle than conventional I/O, with measurably higher PRAT and instantaneous veil removal.  They will also sell "TP" converters for all your old, moldy, now useless legacy gear.  HAVE YOUR CREDIT CARDS READY OPERTORS ARE STANDING BY.

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #12,819 of 150,208
All this speculation about products that may or may not even exist always cracks me up.  I have it on good authority that Schiit's preamp will use solely their new proprietary connector, "Piece-O" which allows better sparkle than conventional I/O, with measurably higher PRAT and instantaneous veil removal.  They will also sell "TP" converters for all your old, moldy, now useless legacy gear.  HAVE YOUR CREDIT CARDS READY OPERTORS ARE STANDING BY.

Personally I think Jason and Mike should start selling their own whisky as a new universal sound upgrade.

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #12,822 of 150,208

Given how many regulatory hoops you have to jump through to get into the booze-ness, there is an astounding number of micro-distilleries these days. Not to mention micro-brew beer, which seems to have become macro-brew. Seems to me Schiit has always been micro-audio. Or perhaps artisanal audio would be more appropriate. Anyway, Schiit is very much to my taste - wait, perhaps I should rephrase that? I like the sound of Schiit - better? Whatever, really looking forward to the speaker amp/preamp.

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #12,823 of 150,208
The large regulatory issue is the coordination of State and Federal Regulations.  Some states are easier than others, some get in to a catch 22 with the Fed rules.  The increased number of distilleries is causing states to reconsider prohibitive rules so they can get in on the tax profits.  It would be easier today for me to get permits than 10 years ago when I first explored the idea.

r2

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #12,824 of 150,208
Schiit could just private label Santa Fe Spirits Silver Coyote whiskey.  The color would match the look of their gear.

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #12,825 of 150,208
  The large regulatory issue is the coordination of State and Federal Regulations.  Some states are easier than others, some get in to a catch 22 with the Fed rules.  The increased number of distilleries is causing states to reconsider prohibitive rules so they can get in on the tax profits.  It would be easier today for me to get permits than 10 years ago when I first explored the idea.

r2

Some States have found other tax streams to tap into. And those also help your Schiit sound better, along with reliving those great concert experiences of years past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back