Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 14, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #118,456 of 151,161
May 14, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #118,457 of 151,161
It's currently planned for a limited run. We'll see what happens. I don't think many people really want a Mjolnir-sized amp, based on experience with the previous generations. I'm open to the idea that it's worth keeping in the line. The probability is slim. Best to base it on a limited, single run.That said, it won't go that fast. It's expensive. I think $1299. I'd rather do a less expensive amp, but dual mono (two transformers) and choke input (2 chokes) and Class A (2 heatsinks) adds up fast.

Any good, actually-made-to-USB-specs cable is fine. Fretting over cables is silly, in my opinion. Especially USB cables. Get something USB-C to C or C to whatever from any reputable manufacturer who's not claiming hand-assembled, yak-hair-insulation, zero-point-energy technology, or any other craziness. You're fine.
A solid amp that is better performing than the usual, $700-ish suspects, sounds like a big Jotunheim, and gives performance like the $1700+ more boutique amps available would be most welcome I reckon.

As for USB cables, my own experimentation suggests that power noise filtering eliminates the difference between USB and other digital cables, and that is a better focus for people who want to blow money on tweaks. A disturbing number of "audiophile" USB cables are not 90 Ohm, and could cause more issues than they solve anyway.

May 15, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #118,458 of 151,161
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Guanabara.....Bossacucanova

May 15, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #118,460 of 151,161
Is that what you're having on your desk?

Or are you asking what I've got sitting on mine? In which case, that would be:
M1 Mac mini -> Yggy OG -> Lokius -> an eclectic, ever rotating collection of my most enjoyable headphone amps -> usually a set of DCA Æon Noire, but sometimes a set of Focal Elex

That eclectic, ever rotating collection of my most enjoyable headphone amps contains—but is by no means limited to—the following, listed in no particular order:
- Folkvangr (preferably with a pair of Gold Lions, impedance multiplier enabled to accommodate the DCAs)
- Mjolnir 2 (preferably with a pair of Gold Lions)
- Whammy (preferably with a Burson V6 Vivid or an NJM4580DD)
- Piety
- Asgard OG

There's also a PC sitting on the same desk, connected to which is a Hel 2E.

And there's also a somewhat sizable cardboard cat bed thing on that very same desk.

Yes. It's a pretty big desk.
Ha! I was trying to emphasize the application of truck nuts to a desktop setup, not what you had on yours, but sounds awesome.

May 15, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #118,461 of 151,161
It's currently planned for a limited run. We'll see what happens. I don't think many people really want a Mjolnir-sized amp, based on experience with the previous generations. I'm open to the idea that it's worth keeping in the line. The probability is slim. Best to base it on a limited, single run.That said, it won't go that fast. It's expensive. I think $1299. I'd rather do a less expensive amp, but dual mono (two transformers) and choke input (2 chokes) and Class A (2 heatsinks) adds up fast.

Any good, actually-made-to-USB-specs cable is fine. Fretting over cables is silly, in my opinion. Especially USB cables. Get something USB-C to C or C to whatever from any reputable manufacturer who's not claiming hand-assembled, yak-hair-insulation, zero-point-energy technology, or any other craziness. You're fine.

That was close, but no cigar. Production chokes are 8x the inductance of those chokes. Plus a bunch of tweaky stuff. Ha ha!
$1,299 is a little bit too dear .. however, limited and single run cost much more together with reserved units for warranty and repairs .... can understand....

May 15, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #118,462 of 151,161
May 15, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #118,463 of 151,161
May 15, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #118,465 of 151,161
Superb-A-Mundo! I have a Bossa "station" on Pandora and "Bossacucanova" is now a part of it.
Thank you so very much!

On a similar note. I've created a "Schiit Syn-full Songs" playlist on Spotify. 😉

May 15, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #118,466 of 151,161
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 15, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #118,467 of 151,161
Urd should stay there.
I would just like to say I love the price point and where you angled yourself in the transport market, it is quite savvy. There isn’t much to buy in that range (everything is below or above) and it offers a high end “step up” price above the sub-$1k transports. Can’t wait for it! Thanks.

May 15, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #118,468 of 151,161
Silver Rekkrs have been removed from the line. The silver run was a bit of a mistake; we only ever intended to sell black (like with Syn). Now silver is gone, so the option is gone. Sorry.
I have to ask, will the silver finish continue to be available on your other products or is Schiit ditching silver across the board?

May 15, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #118,469 of 151,161
Mjolnir 3 is probably my most anticipated release since it was announced. The question that sits on my mind is will it be a limited units run (like folkvangr) or if it will be limited time? The FOMO is brutal after I got the chance to hear a Folkvangr but can't buy one:sob:
I have no need of more headphone amps, but I am still interested in Mjolnir 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back