Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 14, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #118,426 of 151,179
So what's going on with the silver Schiit right now? I've just noticed the Rekkr is suddenly only available in black, the silver version has been completely removed from the website.
Silver Rekkrs have been removed from the line. The silver run was a bit of a mistake; we only ever intended to sell black (like with Syn). Now silver is gone, so the option is gone. Sorry.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 14, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #118,427 of 151,179
Silver Rekkrs have been removed from the line. The silver run was a bit of a mistake; we only ever intended to sell black (like with Syn). Now silver is gone, so the option is gone. Sorry.
That really sucks to be honest. I have to say I'm just not interested in black, especially with my silver Modius.

So are there no plans to bring back the silver finish in the future (for Rekkr or Gjallarhorn)?

May 14, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #118,428 of 151,179
Anyone else been called poo-head by SchiitTalker?
"Well, poo-head, it sounds like you're having some trouble getting your Modius E to work with your iPad."
We were getting on so well up until that point too.

Having finally taken the plunge and become the happy owner of a Lyr+ driving headphones and Gjallarhorn, I've added a Modius E while waiting for a black Bifrost to show up on the UK distributor site.
The Modius E works fine on a USB-C to USB-C cable from the mac, but haven't found a cable combination that works from the iPad to Modius, hence my chat with ST.
So far my experience with SchiitTalker has been positive, as it had correctly answered a couple of questions that info@schiit.com had not got correct, or had ignored, so maybe it's finding me tiresome.
I've another question to ask SchittTalker, though I'll wait a day or two before I do. I'll report back if our next conversation and friendly banter throws up that day's insult du jour.

May 14, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #118,429 of 151,179
Mjolnir 3 looks really nice. Wonder if Gungnir is coming back? :thinking:

I bought a new b-stock unit last month. Watch the b-stock page like a hawk and you’ll see one eventually.

May 14, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #118,430 of 151,179
Anyone else been called poo-head by SchiitTalker?
"Well, poo-head, it sounds like you're having some trouble getting your Modius E to work with your iPad."
We were getting on so well up until that point too.

Having finally taken the plunge and become the happy owner of a Lyr+ driving headphones and Gjallarhorn, I've added a Modius E while waiting for a black Bifrost to show up on the UK distributor site.
The Modius E works fine on a USB-C to USB-C cable from the mac, but haven't found a cable combination that works from the iPad to Modius, hence my chat with ST.
So far my experience with SchiitTalker has been positive, as it had correctly answered a couple of questions that info@schiit.com had not got correct, or had ignored, so maybe it's finding me tiresome.
I've another question to ask SchittTalker, though I'll wait a day or two before I do. I'll report back if our next conversation and friendly banter throws up that day's insult du jour.

+1

I'm a "poo-head" too...! Usually, only my wife gets by with that...! 🥴

May 14, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #118,431 of 151,179
That really sucks to be honest. I have to say I'm just not interested in black, especially with my silver Modius.

So are there no plans to bring back the silver finish in the future (for Rekkr or Gjallarhorn)?
It's no secret around here that I prefer my Schiit in silver. Heck, I've been so annoying outspoken about this entire metal finish thing in the past that I consider myself lucky that Jason hasn't blocked me from the thread altogether. 😬

But when I look at my "silver" Rekkr (or my "silver" Magni+, for that matter), I have to admit: It doesn't look bad, but … well … it doesn't exactly look great, either.

With the exception of Mani 2 and Modi Multibit 2, all recently released or refreshed 5" Schiit comes with an updated case design that replaces the old aluminum top shell with one made out of steel. That change in case design was necessitated in part by the sharply rising cost for aluminum, but also to simplify manufacturing as the new design is considerably easier and faster to put together. The new case addresses this, and it goes a long way towards keeping the 5" products affordable.

So even if you bought your Rekkr in "silver" it wouldn't actually look anything like your previously purchased 5" Schiit gear, simply because the "silver" top shell would no longer be anodized aluminum, but powder coated steel.

Yes, even the "silver" one.

And I keep typing "silver" in quotes because due to the very nature of powder coating, the top shell doesn't look like anodized, shiny bare-metal aluminum, but more like a light gray that has an eeeeeeeeeever so slight touch of blue to it to make it look a tad more metal-y, and it of course has the same rough surface finish to it that the black powder coated tops have.

So, to be brutally honest with you: As much as I like my Schiit in silver, I'm not exactly sad that the "silver" Rekkr didn't survive. There's no way around the fact that the change in case design was a necessity. And with those new steel tops, "true" silver just isn't possible anymore.

Which means that we're left with tops that are either powder coated, or painted.

Oh, and by the way: Painting them isn't really an option, either, because that's (apparently) really hard to get right. Nitsch's Piety has a top that is painted in a pretty sexy dark gray. I have two of them, and while they look nothing short of great at first glance (and while I vastly prefer how the paint's smooth surface finish feels to the touch over the rough powder coated one) both my Pieties have some slight issues with paint drips along the edges of the metal. Nothing bad enough to ever complain about, of course, but it's not perfect. Certainly not up to the standard that we've become used to from our Schiit purchases.

Paint also tends to chip more easily than powder coating if you accidentally bump your Schiit into something hard.

With anodized aluminum and painted steel out of the picture, we're left with powder coated steel. And with powder coated steel, black is actually the sexiest looking option. At least as far as I'm aware of.

So, while I'm not exactly thrilled about this myself, I'd say that you should maybe find a way to open your mind up a bit towards black Schiit. Some insist that it sounds the same, and it still looks pretty darn good. Drastically better than all the plastic cases you otherwise find all over this price bracket, that's for sure.

PS: And bare steel doesn't look great, either. Trust me.
PPS: Hot pink powder coating is where it's at, of course, but I can't quite shake this feeling that it'll be a few more years until Schiit and I see eye to eye on this, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #118,432 of 151,179
Just a quick question, which I think I know the answer to but want to be sure before buying it..... I have a Bifrost 2 which has the Unison Input as a USB type B connector. The Urd will be released with a Unison ouput USB Type C port if I understand it correctly. So, to connect these I would assume I need a USB B to USB C "printer/midi" cable with the shortest run possible. If that is correct, does it matter if it is USB 2/USB 3/USB 3.1, etc.? I would assume not but as I say, I want to be sure before diving into the many, many, MANY cheap cables that seem the only options in this cable type. :relaxed:

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide!

May 14, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #118,433 of 151,179
It's no secret around here that I prefer my Schiit in silver. Heck, I've been so vocal about this entire metal finish thing in the past that I consider myself lucky that Jason hasn't blocked me from the thread altogether. 😬

But when I look at my "silver" Rekkr (or my "silver" Magni+, for that matter), I have to admit: It doesn't look bad, but … well … it doesn't exactly look great, either.

With the exception of Mani 2 and Modi Multibit 2, all recently released or refreshed 5" Schiit comes with an updated case design that replaces the old aluminum top shell with one made out of steel. That change in case design was necessitated in part by the sharply rising cost for aluminum, but also to simplify manufacturing as the new design is considerably easier and faster to put together. The new case addresses this, and it goes a long way towards keeping the 5" products affordable.

So even if you bought your Rekkr in "silver" it wouldn't actually look anything like your previously purchased 5" Schiit gear, simply because the "silver" top shell would no longer be anodized aluminum, but powder coated steel.

Yes, even the "silver" one.

And I keep typing "silver" in quotes because due to the very nature of powder coating, the top shell doesn't look like anodized, shiny bare-metal aluminum, but more like a light gray that has an eeeeeeeeeever so slight touch of blue to it to make it look a tad more metal-y, and it of course has the same rough surface finish to it that the black powder coated tops have.

So, to be brutally honest with you: As much as I like my Schiit in silver, I'm not exactly sad that the "silver" Rekkr didn't survive. There's no way around the fact that the change in case design was a necessity. And with those new steel tops, "true" silver just isn't possible anymore.

Which means that we're left with tops that are either powder coated, or painted.

Oh, and by the way: Painting them isn't really an option, either, because that's (apparently) really hard to get right. Nitsch's Piety has a top that is painted in a pretty sexy dark gray. I have two of them, and while they look nothing short of great on first glance — and while I vastly prefer how the paint's smooth surface finish feels to the touch over the powder coated one — both my Pieties have some slight issues with paint drips along the edges of the metal. Nothing bad enough to ever complain about, of course, but it's not perfect. Certainly not up to the standard that we've become used to from our Schiit purchases.

Paint also tends to chip more easily than powder coating if you accidentally bump your Schiit into something hard.

With anodized aluminum and painted steel out of the picture, we're left with powder coated steel. And with powder coated steel, black is actually the sexiest looking option. At least as far as I'm aware of.

So, while I'm not exactly thrilled about this myself, I'd say that you should maybe find a way to open your mind up a bit towards black Schiit. It still looks pretty darn good, and it looks and performs better than the alternatives.

PS: And bare steel doesn't look great, either. Trust me.
PPS: Hot pink powder coating is where it's at, of course, but I can't quite shake this feeling that it'll be a few more years until Schiit and I see eye to eye on this, I'm afraid.
RAL 4006 has a special place in my heart after two area managers had a game of "not my job" and a piece of equipment costing 10s of millions ended up "Barney" purple.

RE: Bare Steel - P&O hot band won't last forever, but aside from it being thin - aluminumized best I can find at 0.0944" max - automotive body panel steel is pretty, and plain galvanized could be 0.168" thick. Now cost compared to a generic 10XX steel powered coated (assuming generic 10XX series, but not taking a top to the work's XRF after reprogramming it from Al grades to Fe grades), no clue.

Edit: No idea why I started talking Pickled and Oiled hot band and swapped immediately to a coated product. Probably should have noted bare steel would be mill finish - good for a number of months before it starts rusting, pickled and oiled which has the same issue, cold rolled which is only marginally better, and then the coated material such as aluminumized, P&O =/= aluminumized. Sorry.

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #118,435 of 151,179
Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #118,437 of 151,179
RAL 4006 has a special place in my heart after two area managers had a game of "not my job" and a piece of equipment costing 10s of millions ended up "Barney" purple.

RE: Bare Steel - P&O hot band won't last forever, but aside from it being thin - aluminumized best I can find at 0.0944" max - automotive body panel steel is pretty, and plain galvanized could be 0.168" thick. Now cost compared to a generic 10XX steel powered coated (assuming generic 10XX series, but not taking a top to the work's XRF after reprogramming it from Al grades to Fe grades), no clue.
I'm partial to a No. 8 finish stainless steel myself. 🤣

May 14, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #118,438 of 151,179
I'm partial to a No. 8 finish stainless steel myself. 🤣
THAT is what the O2 buffer tanks I had to buy at the last place should have been finished to instead of brushed (just learned that should be a no. 3 or 4), and they were located on the side of the road driving up to the mill so the road going NE-SW at 45deg to true north had them on the SE side. Best part was the height put them higher than the surroundings so the 6 (space for 12) of them would have been a great mirror.

May 14, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #118,439 of 151,179
I am sure this has been answered numerous times... but...

Is Mjolnir going to be a limited run... having lots of regrets for not picking up a Folkvanger now
Mjolnir 3 is probably my most anticipated release since it was announced. The question that sits on my mind is will it be a limited units run (like folkvangr) or if it will be limited time? The FOMO is brutal after I got the chance to hear a Folkvangr but can't buy one:sob:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back