Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 31, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #115,276 of 150,436
(This wasn't explicitly stated in Jason's post and in the Schiit website)

If I use the Syn with a pair of desktop speakers with my computer, I'm assuming that the Syn will simulate surround sound on the two speakers?

I wonder how my desktop setup will sound if I add a 3rd center speaker in addition to the two.

Someone mentioned a few pages back that he thought that the surround sound tech can be added onto the Hel to widen its appeal as a gaming DAC+Amp and I wholeheartedly agree.

Syn is abit of an overkill for someone like two who only plan to use 2 speakers, but I will shell out for a higher priced Hel 3 which can simulate surround sound on headphones and on two speakers.

Mar 31, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #115,278 of 150,436
This seems to me at best, hyperbole. At it's core, a surround sound mix basically means that a sound engineer took time to make decisions about which sound goes where. In standard 5.1 formats, the sound engineer took at least some care in deciding what each of the 5 speakers should be playing. Nothing about this process should inherently produce a result that is fatiguing or unnatural. The sound engineer could have done a poor job, but the same is true of a stereo mix. I also don't quite understand the insinuation that imaging either isn't important to the listening experience or that it somehow must come at the expense of other intrinsically more important qualities.

None of this is to say that the approach Schiit is taking with Syn is inherently worse either. To the contrary, Syn seems like a really cool product. As far as I can tell no one has anything like it on the market. I absolutely love that Jason made this counter-culture old-school creation because at the end of the day it's a different option, and it may well produce results that will be to many people's taste. I personally would love to play around with one. But do we really have to champion it by saying that all multichannel audio is marketing and nervosa driven garbage?
My Experience of good ole fashioned Dolby Pro -Logic has been on the whole pretty positive - yes it works surprisingly well on recordings with the pro logic encoded but back in the day I would demo a lot of live music Cd's using matrix surround and that was often startlingly effective
… Battle of Britain (1940): “Never was so much owed by so many to so few” Sir Winston Churchill.
… Prattle of Schiitain (2023): “ … have so many been so patient for so long” (Sir?) OldRoadToad.
🤷🏻‍♂️🤣
"we shall bite them on the features "

Mar 31, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #115,279 of 150,436
Ha, so I was on the right track when I posted this back in July of last year.

I've posted before my speculation that Jason might be working on something in the AV realm.
He mentioned a crazy project with a lot of parts and relays — perhaps because multichannel?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...most-improbable-start-up.701900/post-16997205
He also made a point of saying how much he hates the term "AV receiver".
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...most-improbable-start-up.701900/post-16992376
So my thought was that he might be working on something that other people might lump into the AV receiver category, but he hates it being called that.

Mar 31, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #115,280 of 150,436
Thinking about getting a pair of Gjallarhorns to run in mono with my Freya S. My question is, would I be able to put a Lokius in between them or does the XLR cables have to go from Freya S straight into the GJs for the mono setup to work? Thanks.
yes, just use only XLR connections from Freya S to Lokius, to mono Gjallarhorns.

if using an SE (RCA connected) source such as Mani 2 or Modi+ into Freya S, make sure to use the 1X or 4X Nexus gain modes (instead of passive gain mode).

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #115,281 of 150,436
@Jason Stoddard does the Syn support DPLL Bandwidth adjustment - quite a few LG and Samsung TV's suffer from noisy optical outputs and changing the DPLL bandwith to tends to solve any dropout issues that occur with ESS DACs.

Mar 31, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #115,282 of 150,436
If I use the Syn with a pair of desktop speakers with my computer, I'm assuming that the Syn will simulate surround sound on the two speakers?
Jason stated in the 'CheapAudioMan' live stream that Syn does not do virtual surround in 2-channel speaker mode or via headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #115,284 of 150,436
Jason stated in the 'CheapAudioMan' live stream that Syn does not do virtual surround in 2-channel speaker mode or via headphones.
Not virtual surround, But in headphone mode you do get the width and presence ability, which should give a surroundish sound. I’ve been reading the manual in anticipation of the Syn delivery.

I’m curious as how this would compare to a full on spatializer. Alternatively, is this a cheaper way to get the Zahl ZM-1 trickery people are raving about. To be continued….

Mar 31, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #115,285 of 150,436
Does anyone know if Syn uses Unison usb? I can’t find any mention of Unison anywhere in the literature or specs

Mar 31, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #115,286 of 150,436
so when is the Schiit 5 channel amp coming out?
Somewhere I think that Jason hinted that what Rekr really needed was a five-channel power supply, so people with five Rekrs did not need five wall warts. He did not promise, he hinted. I can’t find this now, maybe I imagined it.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #115,287 of 150,436
Does anyone know if Syn uses Unison usb? I can’t find any mention of Unison anywhere in the literature or specs
according to the Syn spec sheet it uses c-media for USB, so it is not Unison.

Mar 31, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #115,288 of 150,436
While we're on the subject of vinyl and analog ..... :relaxed: So, I'm cleaning out stuff as I pack to start my move next week and as I'm opening boxes I brought with me in 2004 to my present abode, what do I find? A Denon DL 103D and Shure Ultra 500 in the their original boxes I never opened and forgot about because I sold all my vinyl and TT, and all my audio rig for that matter, before moving here. The Shure came in a nice walnut box., The things you discover as a part of moving are surprising. LOL.

1680266741949.png

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #115,289 of 150,436
No Unison because Unison doesn't support the mic input.

Mar 31, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #115,290 of 150,436
I've been battered by my reality often enough to stop questioning it: I climb and ski avalanche-prone mountains for "fun" and the resulting scars (broken bones and thorn cartilages) don't let me forget :grimacing: Here's a bonus pic from the latest outing (Mount Fosthall, BC, March 28):

Good.
@earnmyturns, have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?
Reality just kicks you up the ass from time to time - keeps you real - makes smiling worthwhile !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back