Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 28, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #114,886 of 152,922
If we are gauging stuff based on how hated it is, any hatred for Syn would be second only to a Schiit Holiday/Overstock Sale. I can't imagine anything pissing more people off than the freakin' unprecedented Schiit Holiday/Overstock Sale did. :D

Shhhhhh I keep hoping that the sale only offended like a 100 people, but pleased at least a couple thousand.... Maybe this way we will see one again, some stormy schiity day.... I didnt partake in the sale but I thought it was a brilliant way to move product. Most of the pricing was only a bit better then regular b stock pricing anyway.....

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #114,889 of 152,922
(And I want DCA in my mic preamps and in my mixer, but I don't think Schiit are about to make any pro-audio-only devices, for now... even though it would be quite interesting to see what they would do. Much more competition in reasonably priced high quality stuff in that market though.)
Well... the Gadget, from what I can gather, is a fit for the pro market. And choirs, live stage shows, etc. But really the pro market, studio or stage. But what do I know?

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #114,891 of 152,922
Well... the Gadget, from what I can gather, is a fit for the pro market. And choirs, live stage shows, etc. But really the pro market, studio or stage. But what do I know?
Messing with pitch and temperament is certainly useful, but not live except for on backing tracks (where, on the other hand, it might be crucial). My understanding is that like all Schiit gear, it won't be targeted at the pro market at all despite the usefulness of what it does.

Loki Max and Yggdrasil are probably in several studios already.

My Modi+ and my Fulla 3 may come with me for use in such settings and I'm probably not the only one to do that (but the current Fulla doesn't have analog in so its less useful). USB power is nice, no extra bulk. But AC transformer wall warts, nope, such gear will be staying at home.

Mar 29, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #114,893 of 152,922
What is the difference between PWM and what you are describing?

JC
PWM is just a way for a digital signal to represent and/or create an analog signal.

Digitally controlled analog is a device topology where the signal path is fully analog, but control signals are created digitally. This allows for pretty much all the usual benefits of digital: full repeatability, stored settings, remote control, complex signal-dependent control (with the use of an ADC and digital analysis and manipulation).

The Loki Max is an example... I think. There is some nuance in how the pots control the relay stepped attenuators there. If it is fully DCA the microprocessor can run the show without using the pots, meaning those pots could be easily replaced with some other interface.

Mar 29, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #114,895 of 152,922
A digital preamp with Unison USB out would be stellar. I’ll buy one on day one if that’s what Syn is.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #114,896 of 152,922
A digital preamp with Unison USB out would be stellar. I’ll buy one on day one if that’s what Syn is.
Agree. I’m not sure who would be upset with that. Very logical.

Mar 29, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #114,897 of 152,922
In Norse mythology, Syn (Old Norse: [ˈsyn], "refusal"[1]) is a goddess associated with defensive refusal.

Syn must be blocking something bad... maybe bad power? But Schiit would never do just a simple AC filter. I'm guessing full AC regen, a la an affordable Power Plant made for headphone Schiit stacks. i.e. it SYNthesizes new AC power.

This would be pretty darn cool. I think a lot of us wouldn't mind dipping our toes into AC regen, but the price to entry is way outside of most headphoners.

Of course, this will be an early Xmas for everyone over at ASR...

Mar 29, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #114,898 of 152,922
Well Schiit. I went deaf yesterday, while at work...! My Bimby OG stopped reading from it's USB input. Power cycling didn't help, a PC reboot did no good, swapping USB jacks; nope. So, I had to resort to the use of on-board PC sound...! Yuck. No bandwidth, very opaque, and closed in, plus no dynamics. 😞

Today, as a test, I brought in my Modi3 (AKM). I hooked it up, using the same USB cable and connection, and got sound...! Much better. But, I guess that means my Bimby Gen 5 USB card is dead. I guess an upgrade to Unison is finally warranted? Until then, I'll use my Eitr, to provide a coax digital input to the Bimby. There's always a way...! 😁

Mar 29, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #114,899 of 152,922
In Norse mythology, Syn (Old Norse: [ˈsyn], "refusal"[1]) is a goddess associated with defensive refusal.

Syn must be blocking something bad... maybe bad power? But Schiit would never do just a simple AC filter. I'm guessing full AC regen, a la an affordable Power Plant made for headphone Schiit stacks. i.e. it SYNthesizes new AC power.

This would be pretty darn cool. I think a lot of us wouldn't mind dipping our toes into AC regen, but the price to entry is way outside of most headphoners.

Of course, this will be an early Xmas for everyone over at ASR...

At the $399 price tag quoted by Jason it would be an early Xmas present for everyone.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back