Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 29, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #11,371 of 149,325
  Regarding MQA there is an interesting and well-written article over at Benchmark Audio titled 'Is MQA DOA?': https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/163302855-is-mqa-doa
It seems that the good folks at Schiit aren't the only ones who are skeptical of MQA.

offcoure its dead on arrival. A format thats not backwards scalable, compressed, and requires a patented fee to implement claiming to be better, its definetely extremely hard for consumers to praise the format.

Jun 30, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #11,372 of 149,325
  Regarding MQA there is an interesting and well-written article over at Benchmark Audio titled 'Is MQA DOA?': https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/163302855-is-mqa-doa
It seems that the good folks at Schiit aren't the only ones who are skeptical of MQA.

A Lossy Format that requires special mastering and special playback hardware coupled with the High probability there will be no improvement over PCM. Sounds like a Winner to me.

I have Devised a Plan Based on this Whole MQA thing,  I will Continue to buy CD's as I did through College when the entire campus was killing our Network with Napster and the God awful MP3 Downloads. I Jumped on that Bandwagon all of two weeks and Jumped off head first hoping to hit my head hard enough not to remember the experience. My new TV/Component Stand Must have Room for a Yggy. And whatever Hammer of an Amplifier Jason and Crew will be working on (the wife says something about cute and matching things, so I guess that's part of it to). The Elac UB5's (Replacing the Debut) Have been Ordered. Hmm I guess I must have left out the Plan for MQA.

Speaking Of Elac. Zojokkeli, I Did not realize those Subs Only Had an LFE input. I Guess they are Geared it towards Home Theater.  But if memory serves me right LFE is Part of Dolby - DTS  and has processing done at the Receiver Side before it is sent to the sub. Sounds Like a Crap shoot for Audio Purposes. PSB, SVS, Martin Logan and Even REL Have Sub woofers in that price range that can Easily Integrate into a 2.1 Setup

Jun 30, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #11,373 of 149,325
Zojokkeli, I Did not realize those Subs Only Had an LFE input. I Guess they are Geared it towards Home Theater.  But if memory serves me right LFE is Part of Dolby - DTS  and has processing done at the Receiver Side before it is sent to the sub. Sounds Like a Crap shoot for Audio Purposes. PSB, SVS, Martin Logan and Even REL Have Sub woofers in that price range that can Easily Integrate into a 2.1 Setup

Interesting, I'll have a look. I was initially looking at Genelec F Two and Elac 2050, but the Debut series sub really got my attention.

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #11,374 of 149,325
Zojokkeli, I Did not realize those Subs Only Had an LFE input. I Guess they are Geared it towards Home Theater.  But if memory serves me right LFE is Part of Dolby - DTS  and has processing done at the Receiver Side before it is sent to the sub. Sounds Like a Crap shoot for Audio Purposes. PSB, SVS, Martin Logan and Even REL Have Sub woofers in that price range that can Easily Integrate into a 2.1 Setup

Interesting, I'll have a look. I was initially looking at Genelec F Two and Elac 2050, but the Debut series sub really got my attention.

Another manufacturer of subwoofers is Salk Sound which has the Rythmik line of subs with a choice of a 12" and 15" driver. I do believe Jason and his merry band of audio marauders used the Song3 at a few shows. So they may pair well.

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #11,375 of 149,325
Another manufacturer of subwoofers is Salk Sound which has the Rythmik line of subs with a choice of a 12" and 15" driver. I do believe Jason and his merry band of audio marauders used the Song3 at a few shows. So they may pair well.

Yes, the Song3 was used at THE Show Newport with the Yggdrasil/Ragnarok combo. It sounded really good - one of my favorite rooms at the show.

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #11,376 of 149,325

Salk makes beautiful, beautiful speakers and subwoofers [http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Rythmik%2012%20Subwoofer] but a significant portion of the cost of the speakers is the cabinet finishes. Which are gorgeous, admittedly, but if you are just going to throw your sub into a dark corner and it doesn't matter what it looks like, you might as well go to the source: Salk themselves state that Rhythmik makes the best, and Rythmik sells for about half the price - but nowhere near as pretty. [http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products1.html]

If good looks matter, then Salk is the obvious choice.

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #11,377 of 149,325
Hey guys, by now you've probably figured out I'm late with this week's chapter. Things got pretty busy around here as we're getting the second power amp prototype running (and working on a few new surprises as well.) Expect a new chapter next week. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 30, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #11,378 of 149,325

If you are going outside of the Elac Price Range  There are many solid options for subs.  I have been doing some reading on the SALK Sound Speakers since I saw the picture of them with schiit At the Show. Very impressive reviews across the board. I would really like to hear a pair of them.

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #11,379 of 149,325
  Hey guys, by now you've probably figured out I'm late with this week's chapter. Things got pretty busy around here as we're getting the second power amp prototype running (and working on a few new surprises as well.) Expect a new chapter next week. 

Damn. But great to hear that the second prototype is running. 

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #11,380 of 149,325
What songs/music do normally Schiit plays in the shows?

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #11,381 of 149,325
  Hey guys, (snip) (and working on a few new surprises as well.) (snip)

( wot, both the [REDACTED] AND the Manhattan will explode on the scene together.......???????
beerchug.gif
  ) 
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #11,382 of 149,325

Salk makes beautiful, beautiful speakers and subwoofers [http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Rythmik%2012%20Subwoofer] but a significant portion of the cost of the speakers is the cabinet finishes. Which are gorgeous, admittedly, but if you are just going to throw your sub into a dark corner and it doesn't matter what it looks like, you might as well go to the source: Salk themselves state that Rhythmik makes the best, and Rythmik sells for about half the price - but nowhere near as pretty. [http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products1.html]

If good looks matter, then Salk is the obvious choice.

+1

Salk speakers and Rythmik subwoofers make a fantastic pairing. I would love to hear the Salks driven by a Schiit power amp (but the amp would have to be in black if it were to ever have a chance of taking a place in my equipment rack). 
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #11,383 of 149,325

My experience from THE Show was that the playlist was varied and interesting (meaning they didn't just play the usual boring audiophile demo tracks). One track that sounded particularly good to my ears was 'When I Fall in Love' by Chris Botti. The trumpet sounded vivid and lifelike without being harsh or grating. Well done!

Jul 1, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #11,384 of 149,325

My experience from THE Show was that the playlist was varied and interesting (meaning they didn't just play the usual boring audiophile demo tracks). One track that sounded particularly good to my ears was 'When I Fall in Love' by Chris Botti. The trumpet sounded vivid and lifelike without being harsh or grating. Well done!

What's the most common boring audiophile demo track that you encounter Odin?

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #11,385 of 149,325
Hmmm, my favorite demo tracks:

The second movement of Dvoraks new world symphony
Bach's Tocatta & fugue in D minor Simon Preston
Shawn Colvin -- almost anything
Diana Krall "Temptations"
The St Paul Chamber Orchestra's recording of Copeland's "Appalachian Spring"
Hilliard Greene "Alone"
Randall Thompson's. "alleluia"
Paul Simon "Graceland"
Simon & Garfunkel "Parsely, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme"
Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis