Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 28, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #11,356 of 150,730
  I just dimmed an LED using a fine felt-tip marker pen. I have covered it maybe 80%, and can see if it is red or green which is what I need, but it no longer irritates. It is directly under one corner of my monitor.

It's a Faber-Castell Multimark, if anyone wants to know, but, essentially, one of those pens that writes on almost everything, including glass, plastic and metal.

​Interesting tip - thanks! I've used matte black nail polish in the past to cover some bright blinking LEDs on a monoprice HDMI switch. (Who comes up with the idea of a blinking LED to indicate the selected channel?) Of course, matte black won't work on Schiit stuff, but maybe there's matte silver nail polish available. (BTW, the lady at the local beauty supply store looked at me kind of funny when I told her that I was specifically looking for matte black nail polish, so I had to tell her what it was for. Nor sure if that the explanation helped.)

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #11,357 of 150,730

​Interesting tip - thanks! I've used matte black nail polish in the past to cover some bright blinking LEDs on a monoprice HDMI switch. (Who comes up with the idea of a blinking LED to indicate the selected channel?) Of course, matte black won't work on Schiit stuff, but maybe there's matte silver nail polish available. (BTW, the lady at the local beauty supply store looked at me kind of funny when I told her that I was specifically looking for matte black nail polish, so I had to tell her what it was for. Nor sure if that the explanation helped.)

Please note, I have not tried removing it --- but my guess is that a little IPA on a cotton bud would do the trick. I'd rate it as less permanent than nail varnish!

Perhaps you should have invited your store lady to help with the application --- but she might have been disappointed with your equipment, and it is not nice when that happens :wink:

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #11,358 of 150,730
Is it too early to ask a little about the upcoming preamp? I'm thinking about getting a sub to go with my speakers, and the one I have on my mind has only a single LFE port (Elac Debut S10EQ). So my question is, will the preamp have a sub-out?

Jun 28, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #11,359 of 150,730

Please note, I have not tried removing it --- but my guess is that a little IPA on a cotton bud would do the trick. I'd rate it as less permanent than nail varnish!

Perhaps you should have invited your store lady to help with the application --- but she might have been disappointed with your equipment, and it is not nice when that happens :wink:

The only "IPA" that I'm familiar with is India Pale Ale which just happens to be my favourite fermented beverage.

I suspect that you're referring to something else, though.  The meaning of your IPA would be helpful.

Jun 28, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #11,361 of 150,730
Jun 28, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #11,363 of 150,730
Hey Jason. Enjoying rereading Schiit Happened and loving every chapter, but have you ever though about also doing a photo blog/book if you have any photos from the old days? Just wondering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #11,364 of 150,730
^ Jason has posted pictures here and there, though not in a photo blog per se

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #11,365 of 150,730
You should probably make this suggestion direct to Schiit as well as posting here. They would be more likely to see it that way

Is it too early to ask a little about the upcoming preamp? I'm thinking about getting a sub to go with my speakers, and the one I have on my mind has only a single LFE port (Elac Debut S10EQ). So my question is, will the preamp have a sub-out?

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #11,366 of 150,730
When I read through this thread I didn't want to skip from chapter to chapter, as I noticed Jason gives allot of insights and responses randomly between chapters, along with some photos.

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #11,368 of 150,730

Very doubtful, LFE connections are more common in home theater set-ups, which is why your sub has one, although I am surprised that is the only input option. An LFE output would require a tap into the signal path and the presence of a a lo-pass circuit, and while Jason could build a nice one, I doubt he'll put it in the pre-amp. Two reasons: lower cost without the circuit, and it is not likely many folks would use that type of feature in this product.

Heck, I'm one of the people petitioning for a balance control, and I'm not sure it'll have one of those!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back