Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 5, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #112,291 of 155,114
Random late night thought. Does anybody else remember when C.D.s were relatively new and they would reissue old albums, but would include a message somewhere on the packaging that said something like, "Digital audio can reveal flaws in the original analog source materials"?

I always thought that was funny. Like was everybody in the control room listening back thinking, "O.K. this kind of sucks, but when it's transferred to vinyl and cassette, it won't really matter"? 😃

Mar 5, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #112,292 of 155,114
Random late night thought. Does anybody else remember when C.D.s were relatively new and they would reissue old albums, but would include a message somewhere on the packaging that said something like, "Digital audio can reveal flaws in the original analog source materials"?

I always thought that was funny. Like was everybody in the control room listening back thinking, "O.K. this kind of sucks, but when it's transferred to vinyl and cassette, it won't really matter"? 😃
Sort of? Most, maybe all, mixing and/or mastering engineers will check their work on playback systems that they are expecting the target audience to use. Vinyl isn't quick to do so with, but cassettes and radio were almost certainly soundchecked within the production process.

Just the other day I watched a brilliant discussion that touched on this topic, which I think I got the link for from this very thread. I shall find it again.

Mar 5, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #112,294 of 155,114

I really like this guy’s (David Mellor) vids. This one talks about decisions that can be made in the studio that seem counterintuitive but achieved the sound they wanted.

Wet Leg is a fun listen as well.

Mar 5, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #112,295 of 155,114

Here’s a better one about the Loudness Wars and the limitations of vinyl mastering (which explains why many folks think vinyl naturally sounds better).

Mar 5, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #112,296 of 155,114

There is validity to that message, particularly as we go further back in time. Tape hiss is the first "flaw" that comes to my mind which may not have been audible on other formats. Mixing and mastering decisions made based on gear which was not up to par with current standards, especially loudspeakers used as control room monitors. Find some photos of the rooms used to record and mix some of the great jazz of the late 50's and early 60's. Other flaws could include tape damage to master tapes that were not stored well prior to digitizing. And so forth.

Now, we can discuss whether early CD players could offer the level of fidelity that we have come to love from the MegaComboBurrito Filter, but the point remains that CYA can be a good business strategy.

Personally, I find great joy in some of the contemporary re-transfers + remasters of old jazz classics. They don't sound like new recordings, but they can offer nice sonic gains. IMHO.

:smile_cat:

Mar 5, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #112,297 of 155,114
Schiit N Music
Saturday Night

# 1,000 🎇:fireworks:

Nine years and two months of membership to reach 1,000 posts.
I have always been a bit slow :wink:

Tonight.
Blues (what else?)

Mac Mini 2011 -> Gungnir MB Unison -> balanced -> Mjolnir 2 (6N23P OTK Reflektor - NOS - 1971) -> balanced -> HiFiMan Edition XS, 18 ohms

This kit provides clarity, detail and extensive instrument/musician separation. I feel as if I am on stage among the band. Odd placement.
These are comfortable, not at Beyerdynamic T1 level, but close.
Sounding wonderful.
I could keep enjoying this for way too long past sleep time. Another night of "life is good".

Curious.
I have only rolled 3 or 4 tubes past the XS. Anyone enjoying an Edition XS with specific tube?

Playlist examples:
Muddy Waters
Long John Baldry
Bo Diddley
BB King
Eric Clapton
Ana Popović
Cab Calloway
Carl Perkins
Etta James
Howlin' Wolf
John Lee Hooker
Louis Armstrong
Moby Grape
Aretha Franklin
Pinetop Perkins
The Original Blues Brothers Band
Son House
Memphis Slim
Steve Cropper, Albert King & Pops Staples
Arthur Brown
and so many more (playlist is 2.4 days long)

Enjoy the Schiit N Music
Old and busted 69,

r2
Ah the Reflektor tubes in a Mjolnir 2, a combination I loved when I still used that amp. I am listening more and more to speaker amps myself, occasionally I will roll a few tubes and get out the Focal Utopias but not as often as I once did. I still use a Gungnir multibit as I save toward another DAC, and it should go nicely into my shop system replacing a Bifrost 2 one day. I did keep that desktop system footprint down to the size of a Gungnir. :beerchug:

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #112,300 of 155,114
Mar 5, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #112,301 of 155,114
Amazon sourced speaker cables for G-horns? Planning to join the G-horn + Q150 club over spring break in 2 weeks but doubt I have the right speaker cables as (re) starting from zero.
If you have some pliers, you could make some like @Ripper2860 's. 🤣

1678028970626.png

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #112,302 of 155,114
If you like to listen to your music loudly, I would shy away from cardboard pant hanger models. Don't ask me why. :rolling_eyes:

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #112,303 of 155,114
Amazon sourced speaker cables for G-horns? Planning to join the G-horn + Q150 club over spring break in 2 weeks but doubt I have the right speaker cables as (re) starting from zero.
Easiest route is to use "banana plugs" on both ends as those will simply plug right in to both the GJ and Q150 (GJ requires banana plugs, Q150 has options)
- Either find a pair of pre-terminated cables that are long enough to accommodate your setup, OR
- Purchase a spool of quality speaker cable (12 ga is generally fine) and 8x (4-red, 4-black) banana plug connectors separately and then you can customize to your own specs

Banana plugs will either have a flared shaft that compresses when inserted into the binding post for a snug fit, or an expanding locking mechanism that you can twist/untwist to ensure it doesn't slip after inserted into the binding post - the locking ones are generally a bit more expensive

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #112,304 of 155,114
Any idea what length speaker cables you would need? I most likely have some extra cables I could help with, you might have to buy your own banana plugs if you go that route. I like Canare 4s11 myself.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #112,305 of 155,114
Easiest route is to use "banana plugs" on both ends as those will simply plug right in to both the GJ and Q150 (GJ requires banana plugs, Q150 has options)
- Either find a pair of pre-terminated cables that are long enough to accommodate your setup, OR
- Purchase a spool of quality speaker cable (12 ga is generally fine) and 8x (4-red, 4-black) banana plug connectors separately and then you can customize to your own specs

Banana plugs will either have a flared shaft that compresses when inserted into the binding post for a snug fit, or an expanding locking mechanism that you can twist/untwist to ensure it doesn't slip after inserted into the binding post - the locking ones are generally a bit more expensive
I found a good source for the locking type but now I need to search again lol. I really like the style Blue Jeans Cable uses. B&H uses that style as well.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...a4s112b2b6_haveflex_4s11_speaker_cable.html/?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back