Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 29, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #106,937 of 150,689
Sorry to hear about your experience...
I have 2 Timex watches... 1I bought for $40 cdn 4 years ago and it has been reliable and accurate.

The one below was $26 cdn for Black Friday on Amazon and so far, so good
I’ve owned that same watch for well over 10 years. It’s on its 2nd battery and keeps perfect time.
Cheap watches FTW. 😎

Dec 29, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #106,938 of 150,689
This gets back to tubes in a way, with the proper tubes I think the Freya + would be in the top three of pre-amps I have heard. If Darko heard it with stock tubes that could be one of the reasons for his statement. Please note that I am very used to listening for differences in most any 6sn7 made so I absolutely have my preferences, just as you most likely noticed a difference with other tubes in your Freya +. Part of it to me is how well it matches the power amp with which I use it, always tube type by the way. :ksc75smile:
I bought a Freya based upon the price/feature ratio figuring how could I go wrong and I didn't. The Schiit Freya introduced me to the world of 6SN7s and many of its variants: 6F8G, 7N7, 7193/2C22. It gave me great sound at a very good price and a new hobby, tube collecting. I would recommend it to anyone who wants separate components without breaking the bank. The Freya motivated me in a good way to upgrade to an end game (at least in my mind) 6SN7 preamp. We all have our own audio biases, but I can't imagine a Freya with good tubes being disliked. I spent 3X the price to get something better.

And I feel sorry for those who cannot appreciate the pixie magic dust that tubes bring to audio. :ksc75smile:

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #106,939 of 150,689
I bought a Freya based upon the price/feature ratio figuring how could I go wrong and I didn't. The Schiit Freya introduced me to the world of 6SN7s and many of its variants: 6F8G, 7N7, 7193/2C22. It gave me great sound at a very good price and a new hobby, tube collecting. I would recommend it to anyone who wants separate components without breaking the bank. The Freya motivated me in a good way to upgrade to an end game (at least in my mind) 6SN7 preamp. We all have our own audio biases, but I can't imagine a Freya with good tubes being disliked. I spent 3X the price to get something better.

And I feel sorry for those who cannot appreciate the pixie magic dust that tubes bring to audio. :ksc75smile:
I totally agree, I love that sound and can barely listen to solid state two channel anymore. :ksc75smile:

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #106,940 of 150,689
Now that is a crazy idea. What the heck, you can't take it with you. Money that is, I plan to be buried with all my Schiit.
I believe Jason said 2 of those crazy are on the less expensive side.

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #106,941 of 150,689
My black SYS arrived a day early (shout out to FedEx) - so mine is more centrally aligned, although not 100% perfect.

But more importantly, it works perfectly so who cares about imperfect alignment - I could understand if my girlfriend was complaining with an imperfect alignment...but for the SYS, don't sweat it :wink:

So the volume knob is just misaligned or when you turn it it looks like it is bent? Mine does.

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #106,942 of 150,689
Iam fully aware there balanced bridged. I guess when you have a low post count your assumed to know nothing.
Sorry, I misinterpreted. I saw "2-channel" and thought you were referring to speaker amps in general (as in 2-channel system), vs headphone amps. Schiit probably doesn't make a fully balanced stereo speaker amp (besides Ragnarok) because it would nearly double the cost of the product. There are business and market advantages to offer the amp as non-balanced stereo with an option to run mono.

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #106,943 of 150,689
I’ve owned that same watch for well over 10 years. It’s on its 2nd battery and keeps perfect time.
Cheap watches FTW. 😎
I best not talk watches since I collect them, mostly chronographs, my daily wearer is a Hamilton automatic officers model. No batteries to change, very visible in low light situations.

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #106,944 of 150,689
Yep, I'm aware. But it also depends on what else is in that output circuit. Curious to see if the designer will comment.

I know some companies use 0.47uF caps in that application because the really fancy audiophile capacitors quickly get huge and very expensive.
Freya's output is a cathode follower, which usually is a low impedance, Schiit says 75 ohms. Using 75 ohms and 2.2 mfd as a start, you can calculate the increase in output impedance and resultant low frequency rolloff. Considering that 0.47uF is roughly 0.1X 2.2uF, I would expect the lf response to degrade significantly. Why do you want to decrease the output cap values? Most upgraders want to increase these caps to phenomenal values, and usually employ capacitors with price tags that induce ventricular fibrillation.

Dec 29, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #106,946 of 150,689
You might want to try this as well, I changed the settings on my subs after playing a few of Geoff's songs. :ksc75smile:
That was fun! but my mains handle that without help from the subs.

Dec 29, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #106,947 of 150,689
Freya's output is a cathode follower, which usually is a low impedance, Schiit says 75 ohms. Using 75 ohms and 2.2 mfd as a start, you can calculate the increase in output impedance and resultant low frequency rolloff. Considering that 0.47uF is roughly 0.1X 2.2uF, I would expect the lf response to degrade significantly. Why do you want to decrease the output cap values? Most upgraders want to increase these caps to phenomenal values, and usually employ capacitors with price tags that induce ventricular fibrillation.
There's a Mjolnir 2 with upgraded somethings in the signal path.

Can these amps be upgraded with new stuff in them?
I have no problems with Johnny Darko. He can be a bit long-winded, but other than that...

Plus he likes Schiit stuff, so I give him extra points for that. :p
I wonder sometimes about payments from vendors to these reviewers. Sometimes I can't tell when they're running an ad, and running a review. I'd appreciate more transparency on their part.

Dec 29, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #106,948 of 150,689
They are even more ridiculous when you see what they are plugged into:

power_cables.jpeg

But, as I wrote elsewhere, they were purchased long ago. There is also a lot of stray RF in this office. The Jotunheim / Aegir setup is dead silent; I am sure that the balanced input cables are much larger contributors to the overall lack of noise, but... these power serpents are kind of fun. :) And they can't hurt, either...
So, if you substitute a regular cable, do you hear a difference? And if so, is it real, or your imagination?

I don't wanna try listening to power cables, I do have two hospital cables that came with used gear .... but I refuse to test myself because of the small possibility I'll be converted to a cable sayer.

Dec 29, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #106,949 of 150,689
Dec 29, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #106,950 of 150,689
I don't wanna try listening to power cables, I do have two hospital cables that came with used gear .... but I refuse to test myself because of the small possibility I'll be converted to a cable sayer.

Go ahead. Test yourself. I'm pretty sure you won't regret it.

:beerchug:
JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back