Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 29, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #106,966 of 151,112
I'm a vintage Heuer man myself. That and modern Christopher Ward watches.😁
Heuer, Rolex, and multiple other Swiss for me.

Dec 29, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #106,969 of 151,112
I changed the caps in my Freya+ for VCAPs. I used 2.2uF, but it was expensive. That made a noticeable improvement in sound when in tube mode.

Thinking about trying some 0.47uF Jupiter copper foil paper & wax I have in my collection here. 2.2uF in that variety would not fit.

I also have some 0.47uF Duelund here, but they are enormous. Would need to drill holes in the top of the case for capacitors to extend through like the tubes. Hmmm....
You have a classical engineering tradeoff--sound vs size vs cost. Buy a bunch of clip leads and listen away.

Dec 29, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #106,970 of 151,112
I bought a Freya based upon the price/feature ratio figuring how could I go wrong and I didn't. The Schiit Freya introduced me to the world of 6SN7s and many of its variants: 6F8G, 7N7, 7193/2C22. It gave me great sound at a very good price and a new hobby, tube collecting. I would recommend it to anyone who wants separate components without breaking the bank. The Freya motivated me in a good way to upgrade to an end game (at least in my mind) 6SN7 preamp. We all have our own audio biases, but I can't imagine a Freya with good tubes being disliked. I spent 3X the price to get something better.

And I feel sorry for those who cannot appreciate the pixie magic dust that tubes bring to audio. :ksc75smile:
It’s funny - I almost always run my Freya and monoblock Vidars in buffer mode. But, after all the tube talk here, I was listening to a Jackson Brown song that was SO BRIGHT, I switched on the tubes and it tamed it PERFECTLY!!!

Freya and the options it offers are amazing!!!

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #106,971 of 151,112
I cant stop buying DACs! I couldn’t resist buying one of those $4 Amazon units! I can’t wait to compare it to my collection of Schiit DAC’s.

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #106,972 of 151,112
Zomg you guys, I just realized I have 4 noval lissts! What a dum dum I am. Thought I only had 1. Hard to keep track of this Schiit.
I think, given Jason's EOY summary, you may need an ERP. :)

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #106,974 of 151,112
It’s funny - I almost always run my Freya and monoblock Vidars in buffer mode. But, after all the tube talk here, I was listening to a Jackson Brown song that was SO BRIGHT, I switched on the tubes and it tamed it PERFECTLY!!!

Freya and the options it offers are amazing!!!
Now imagine working with three sets of tube combinations, and the variables those offer. :ksc75smile:

My son is here visiting and he got to hear my current system for the first time; he will inherit it one day. I will not mention which gear he currently owns but he was fairly amazed by the SQ of my present system. As a matter of etiquette I played a few favorite tracks then turned everything over to him so he could select music he knew well. My choices included some Art Pepper, Nils Lofgren, Warren Zevon, and Rachael Price. He put on some Chris Cornell and Larry Carlton. Unfortunately he heads back to the DC area tomorrow so he will miss out on my DAC comparisons.

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #106,975 of 151,112
Mine do as well somewhat
Yeah. Makes it a challenge to find music that really plumbs the depths. I do like some organ music and that helps but old recordings don't have much bass.

My mains are such that my subs are crossed over very low (40Hz) because otherwise the subs are detrimental.

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #106,976 of 151,112
My main watch is now an Apple Watch (wrist computer??). I’m not actually a fan of how it looks, but as I’m in every US time zone several times per month I can’t understate the value of a watch that automatically syncs to local time.
Function over form wins this time (no pun intended)
I know people who work in places where some locations forbid electronics with any kind of chip. I think we're on the part of the sine wave where we're allowed to talk about watches again?

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #106,977 of 151,112
Now imagine working with three sets of tube combinations, and the variables those offer. :ksc75smile:

My son is here visiting and he got to hear my current system for the first time; he will inherit it one day. I will not mention which gear he currently owns but he was fairly amazed by the SQ of my present system. As a matter of etiquette I played a few favorite tracks then turned everything over to him so he could select music he knew well. My choices included some Art Pepper, Nils Lofgren, Warren Zevon, and Rachael Price. He put on some Chris Cornell and Larry Carlton. Unfortunately he heads back to the DC area tomorrow so he will miss out on my DAC comparisons.

Might I recommend the "Sheep Toads" of Aridzona...Nothing quite as soothingly melodic.

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #106,978 of 151,112
Yeah. Makes it a challenge to find music that really plumbs the depths. I do like some organ music and that helps but old recordings don't have much bass.

My mains are such that my subs are crossed over very low (40Hz) because otherwise the subs are detrimental.
My subs are set close to 40 hz as well, Castellucci goes down to about 23 hz not counting sub harmonics. I use him more to check volume level at low frequencies.

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #106,979 of 151,112

Hopefully, the date of inheritance will be far in the future, Tom!

Dec 29, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #106,980 of 151,112
So, if you substitute a regular cable, do you hear a difference? And if so, is it real, or your imagination?

I don't wanna try listening to power cables, I do have two hospital cables that came with used gear .... but I refuse to test myself because of the small possibility I'll be converted to a cable sayer.
What's the problem with becoming a cable sayer? Your system will sound better.

Why not try some Shunyata "NR" noise reduction cables? Those will scare you into becoming a cable sayer. :joy_cat:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back