Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 29, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #106,921 of 150,704
I also have a Freya+ - you helped me find some good tubes! Thank you!

On a couple recent videos John Darko referred to his Freya+ and that, when he replaced it with his Cambridge Edge Pre-Amp everything was SO MUCH BETTER. That is a much more expensive piece of kit, and I am not at all interested in that piece in particular. But, you have extensive experience in HiFi. I wonder where you would place the Freya as a pre-amp? Not just for the money, but absolutely within your experience?

Also, I know some people on this blog do not like John, but that is not the point at all.

Thanks in advance!
I can not stand the guy. But then I do not think he cares all that much for me either. Six of one, half dozen of the other.
BFD. :beerchug:

Dec 29, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #106,922 of 150,704
Ahhh, yes the ridiculous 1M Pangea AC-9 power cables... I got them from Audio Advisor nearly ten years ago, on sale, for a 'song' - I think <$100 each, new? Total overkill but they were chillin' in the gear closet and turned out to be the perfect length for this set-up.

Speaker cables - Canare Quad from BJC, hastily modified to work with the Vidar's output terminal spacing when I got them back in May of 2018. Again, rescued from the gear closet. Lots of historical goodness in there, for sure. Save money, buy more Schiit... that's my motto, man. <g>
75t29q.jpg

Dec 29, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #106,923 of 150,704
I have no problems with Johnny Darko. He can be a bit long-winded, but other than that...

Plus he likes Schiit stuff, so I give him extra points for that. :p

Confession -- Both he and Steve Guttenberg introduced me to Schiit. Which led me to this forum and that changed everything. Have learned so much from Jason building and engaging with an amazing community here (with a sine wave of topics, no less.). :beerchug:

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #106,925 of 150,704
reducing the capacitance of the Freya+ / Freya N (red wima) 2.2uF output DC blocking for the pre-amp outputs by 4.5X, may cause low frequency roll-off / phase shift, especially into lower next-stage input impedances.
Yep, I'm aware. But it also depends on what else is in that output circuit. Curious to see if the designer will comment.

I know some companies use 0.47uF caps in that application because the really fancy audiophile capacitors quickly get huge and very expensive.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #106,926 of 150,704
When done properly, QA is invisible ... it's just part of your products and systems. And certainly, the need for "QC" is eliminated.
Just remember:
- audit your systems periodically, and measure how they are performing,
- if you have a serious system failure, take all steps needed to find and remove the root cause. Or else ...
This is real. Go back for a minute and read what Jason just wrote about ERP.

ps. I hope SouthWest Airlines is listening ...
Yeah, Dick - I know. <g> We build an exceptionally complex, highly extensible desktop design application that a) sits on an constantly-updated API foundation that is in Version 20+ and b.) exposes additional C++/.NET APIs that power thousands of commercial and private applications. "Little wiggles" here and there - like a butterfly's wing-beat in Singapore, in the old adage - cause large hurricanes downstream. Code reviews are a big part of life here, but making foundational changes to the code base is fraught with terror. Of course, we do it, anyway - because our users want stability, performance and... innovation. Kinda like Schiit's customers, right?

Best job I've ever had, though. Keeps me on my toes... :)

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #106,927 of 150,704
I do. Unfortunately, my last Timex, purchased sometime around 2012, kept on ticking for something like six months then stopped. No lickings delivered, it just stopped. I was quite disappointed.
Sorry to hear about your experience...
I have 2 Timex watches... 1I bought for $40 cdn 4 years ago and it has been reliable and accurate.

The one below was $26 cdn for Black Friday on Amazon and so far, so good
20221229_121745.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #106,928 of 150,704
Dec 29, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #106,929 of 150,704
@Jason Stoddard a cd player? isn't that masochism?
When you hear a CD transport's digital output played through (in my case) an OG Yggdrasil A2, you'll realize how stellar the format can sound... YMMV, of course.

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #106,930 of 150,704
Confession -- Both he and Steve Guttenberg introduced me to Schiit. Which led me to this forum and that changed everything. Have learned so much from Jason building and engaging with an amazing community here (with a sine wave of topics, no less.). :beerchug:
I think between the two of them they also introduced me to Schiit. I appreciate their perspectives on things and they are both highly entertaining....to me at least.

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #106,931 of 150,704
Dec 29, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #106,932 of 150,704
Obviously every programmer has to develop and test locally. But you apparently are working on different kinds of systems than I worked on. We had unit testing (by each programmer), Integration testing, QA testing, Acceptance/Performance testing, and Production. These are systems processing tens of thousands of transactions per second, and development teams typically are anywhere from 10 to 100 developers. The QA teams were typically testing multiple versions at one time, so there were in fact usually about 4 QA test environments going at any one time.

Each release typically includes changes made by dozens of programmers, not just one at a time.

QA testing is usually done with regression testing, where there are scripted and automated tests and automated evaluation of the results, not just people banging away at a keyboard and visually looking at the results. The QA team not only has to make sure the new changes work, but also that the old code was not broken in the meantime.
Regression testing is a critical and key part of our automated testing regime... compatibility with the industry standard CAD data format is Job One for us. But that's just a part of the story - it's the most complex dev environment I've ever seen, and we support Windows, macOS and various Linux flavors, too.

We get better at testing every day, for sure. Regardless, our "Gamma Test" period starts at FCS, because our users do so many crazy (a.k.a. site-dependent) things with our product that we are continually surprised by what they break... :)

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #106,933 of 150,704
I think between the two of them they also introduced me to Schiit. I appreciate their perspectives on things and they are both highly entertaining....to me at least.
78D7613F-229C-4737-9FD8-CBE75CC28B00.jpeg

I’ll show myself out now.

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #106,935 of 150,704
Might have been brought up before but would be nice if the 2 channel amps where fully balanced.
So you mean stereo-input-wise, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back