Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 13, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #105,571 of 151,836
Harsh, no. They're extremely neutral, I thought.

I love tubes that expand the sound stage. The CV181-TII do this magnificently. The MELZ, no so much.
Interesting, thanks for the info. Which exact Melz? It sounds like you may have some from the late fifties or early sixties, but that is just a hunch.

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #105,572 of 151,836
Interesting, thanks for the info. Which exact Melz? It sounds like you may have some from the late fifties or early sixties, but that is just a hunch.
I am no tube expert:

DSC_0617.JPG

Dec 13, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #105,573 of 151,836
Harsh, no. The 1578s are extremely neutral, I thought.

But, I love tubes that expand the sound stage. The CV181-TII do this magnificently. I was actually quite shocked when I first heard them because I had very low expectations for them given where they're manufactured.

The MELZ don't do that much. I also love the sound of a certain type of Raytheon VT-231s in the gain stage.
I run Raytheons on the buffer side and Melz on the gain side but I am very picky about which type and year Melz I use.
I am no tube expert:

DSC_0617.JPG
What date code is in the round logo? I see you have re-soldered the pins on that one. I know Melz fairly well and as far as Chinese built tubes the PSvane are very good.

Dec 13, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #105,574 of 151,836
I run Raytheons on the buffer side and Melz on the gain side but I am very picky about which type and year Melz I use.

What date code is in the round logo? I see you have re-soldered the pins on that one. I know Melz fairly well and as far as Chinese built tubes the PSvane are very good.

Round logo says 6HBC VI-71.

Yes, pins resoldered. These were staticky when I got them. That fixed it.

Dec 13, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #105,575 of 151,836
Round logo says 6HBC VI-71.

Yes, pins resoldered. These were staticky when I got them. That fixed it.
Got it, 1971 tubes. 6H8C in cyrillic script.

I am not a fan of those from the 80's but the 71's are quite good. That construction was used for four decades but they do not all sound alike. :ksc75smile: I began replacing solder in Foton tubes a few years back, then Melz. After 60 or so years the Russian solder was giving problems unlike many of the US made tubes.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #105,576 of 151,836
How about a Lyr+ in solid state mode, or any other Schiit 6SN7 preamp with LISST?
I’m currently using a PS Audio Gain Cell Dac as my preamp. It is the most transparent preamp I’ve ever used and beats everything I’ve heard with a volume pot or stepped attenuator in the signal path. I will admit it may also be contributing to my lean sound. Hard to tell but it’s not going anywhere.
I’ve already tweaked my speakers as far as I can afford. I just want some warmth back.

Dec 13, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #105,577 of 151,836
I’m currently using a PS Audio Gain Cell Dac as my preamp. It is the most transparent preamp I’ve ever used and beats everything I’ve heard with a volume pot or stepped attenuator in the signal path. I will admit it may also be contributing to my lean sound. Hard to tell but it’s not going anywhere.
I’ve already tweaked my speakers as far as I can afford. I just want some warmth back.
Tubes contribute warmth and you can roll them to fit your needs.🤪

Dec 13, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #105,579 of 151,836
Well, my phono stage is tubed and that helps. It’s my digital sources that need help.

I may end up getting a Lokius after I pay off my amps but I would prefer a tube solution.
I am hoping some transformers I own will work in a tube buffer, if so I will post a photo here at some point but it will be long after the holidays, mini speaker builds, some DAC comparisons. :)

Dec 13, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #105,582 of 151,836
I have read somewhere that Schiit will announce the Modi Multibit 2 tomorrow? Can anyone help confirm? Thanks.
If anything is released tomorrow it is HIGHLY LIKELY that it is Modi Multibit 2. Jason has all but confirmed it a few pages back.

Schiit happens but its a safe bet.
The big question is what is the 2nd product?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back