Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 13, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #105,557 of 153,670
Then, one of the amps (suddenly?) developed an audible, physical hum that also manifested as a humm/buzz at the load (a.k.a. loudspeaker).
I think this might be what they call transformer delamination?

Me, hums of any sort drive me crazy, it's like the one frequency my genetically-disadvantaged hearing has no problem with :angry:. I use all balanced connections whenever I can for this reason, logic be damned :xf_cool:

Dec 13, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #105,558 of 153,670

Me, hums of any sort drive me crazy, it's like the one frequency my genetically-disadvantaged hearing has no problem with :angry:. I use all balanced connections whenever I can for this reason, logic be damned :xf_cool:
Yes I am hoping that it's that simple, Artur. The fact that it can be heard in the loudspeaker is a bit weird, though.

Dec 13, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #105,559 of 153,670
So what upgrades does today’s Yggy OG will have vs when it launched
I know Analog 2 output board and Unison usb. Were there any other upgrades
As far as I know, that is pretty much it @maheeinfy :relaxed:

I bought an early, original Yggy.

I subsequently had it upgraded, by Mark Dolbear at Electromod here in UK, with A2 boards and USB Gen 5 input.

I then added the Unison USB board myself when it became available, but have never used that input...

I love the Yggy! :beyersmile:

Dec 13, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #105,560 of 153,670

+1 re: balanced connections. I know that well-laid-out SE connections can also be very, very quiet... but the simple solution for me is balanced, so that I simply don't need to worry about it.

I remember reading a discussion where the SQ of SE vs XLR connections was being bandied about, and somebody said that SE connections "sounded better"... hmmm. I would think that, unless they were level-matched, it would be hard to make that determination...

But that's just me. :) When I was trying to diagnose my humming Tyr, I changed from XLR to SE input on both Tyrs, and was able to precisely compensate for the gain difference (thanks to my Benchmark LA4's level display). I heard absolutely no difference in sound quality... again, YMMV.

Dec 13, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #105,561 of 153,670
Nice! This is what I’ve been waiting to hear. I’ve been considering moving my Yggy GS to either LIM or OG. I was leaning towards OG. Any other differences that you have noticed?

I'm not good at putting this stuff into language. Those professional audio reviewers and wine reviewers often crack me up how they describe things.

LIM sounds a bit darker, I think. There is definitely less treble with LIM, which some people like. But, the cymbals sound more realistic to me with OG. I'd probably stick with LIM if I was primarily listening to popular modern music that has suffered too much dynamic range compression.

I think you could probably make OG sound like LIM with a Loki. I'm not sure you could achieve the opposite.

If you know the music you listen to is well recorded, I think OG easily takes it.

For the record, my system: Yggdrasil+ OG -> Loki Max -> Freya+ -> Yamaha B2 -> Yamaha NS-1000M.

My tubes are PSVANE CV181-TII in the gain stage and MELZ 1578 in the buffer section.

The vintage Yamaha stuff I completely rebuilt, so it is in tip-top operating condition.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #105,562 of 153,670
With Yggy GS (Analog 1+) I get great transparency but I’m finding poor recordings having a bit of a glare to the sound. Great recordings still sound great but everything seems to be on the brighter side of neutral.

Since replacing my tube amps with Tyr I’ve gained more transparency, depth, and air but lost some of the warmth I had from the tubes. I wish there was a simple buffer, tube or ss, that did what Piety does. Those 2nd order harmonics are really nice to have.

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #105,563 of 153,670
I'm not good at putting this stuff into language. Those professional audio reviewers and wine reviewers often crack me up how they describe things.

LIM sounds a bit darker, I think. There is definitely less treble with LIM, which some people like. But, the cymbals sound more realistic to me with OG. I'd probably stick with LIM if I was primarily listening to popular modern music that has suffered too much dynamic range compression.

I think you could probably make OG sound like LIM with a Loki. I'm not sure you could achieve the opposite.

If you know the music you listen to is well recorded, I think OG easily takes it.

For the record, my system: Yggdrasil+ OG -> Loki Max -> Freya+ -> Yamaha B2 -> Yamaha NS-1000M.

The vintage Yamaha stuff I completely rebuilt, so it is in tip-top operating condition.
I haven't heard the LIM (or MIL) versions of the Yggy, so I can't comment on comparisons with OG.

The original Yggy A2 is the best DAC I have ever heard, so I intend to keep it at the heart of my digital system.

It feeds a Freya S.

I have a Lokius, but I only use it very occasionally, when listening with headphones.

Most of my listening is done with some very revealing speakers (ATC SCM 100ASLs) and I do not feel any need to 'tweak' the sound with the Lokius.

Good recordings sound fantastic :beyersmile:

The Yggy and Freya S are both superb products, in my opinion.

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #105,564 of 153,670
With Yggy GS (Analog 1+) I get great transparency but I’m finding poor recordings having a bit of a glare to the sound. Great recordings still sound great but everything seems to be on the brighter side of neutral.

Since replacing my tube amps with Tyr I’ve gained more transparency, depth, and air but lost some of the warmth I had from the tubes. I wish there was a simple buffer, tube or ss, that did what Piety does. Those 2nd order harmonics are really nice to have.
How about a Lyr+ in solid state mode, or any other Schiit 6SN7 preamp with LISST?

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #105,565 of 153,670
I haven't heard the LIM (or MIL) versions of the Yggy, so I can't comment on comparisons with OG.

The original Yggy A2 is the best DAC I have ever heard, so I intend to keep it at the heart of my digital system.

It feeds a Freya S.

I have a Lokius, but I only use it very occasionally, when listening with headphones.

Most of my listening is done with some very revealing speakers (ATC SCM 100ASLs) and I do not feel any need to 'tweak' the sound with the Lokius.

Good recordings sound fantastic :beyersmile:

The Yggy and Freya S are both superb products, in my opinion.

I use the Loki primarily to crank the bass. The NS-1000s are known to be a bit bass light and I love bass. If I am watching a live performance like last night (Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Leverkusener Jazztage 2019) I like to feel the stage reverb and vibration. It absolutely comes alive above 80dB. 😁

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #105,566 of 153,670
Hi schiitizens,

Thinking of upgrading my Bifrost GEN5 to Unison, I wonder if the cards for Gungnir and Bifrost are the same. They look identical in the photo but one (Gungnir) is in stock on schiit.co.uk but not for Bifrost. As I live in France and usually deal with Mark Dolbear in UK but also because of expensive shipping and custom fees, I'd prefer buying in UK rather than schiit.com.

EDIT : I asked Mark Dolbear from schiit.co.uk who answers me that cards are different :/
(revised)
per this post from Jason, bifrost and gungnir unison cards are identical, except it will report to the computer with the wrong name (e.g. 'schiit gungnir' when it's really a 'schiit bifrost')

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-3897#post-15569960

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #105,567 of 153,670
Going back to OG: WOW. LIM is smooth and probably makes recordings of low to average quality sound better. BUT, I spend most of my dedicated listening time listening to the best sounding recordings I have. Going back to OG, everything sounded better: more detail, more space, more exciting. OG boards are staying in!
This is exactly why I love the LiM, because my nearly 3,000 album collection is mostly not audiophile grade recordings.

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #105,568 of 153,670

My tubes are PSVANE CV181-TII in the gain stage and MELZ 1578 in the buffer section.

A nice selection of tubes in the Freya +, did you find the 1578's to be a bit too harsh in the gain stage? I use them there but then I have another eight tubes in the power amp section. I have only heard an early Yggdrasil but that should change soon enough.

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #105,569 of 153,670

I may work on a tube buffer stage early next year along with @sam6550a, a cathode follower that uses 6sn7's. Naturally if I make it, hardwoods will be involved in the cabinet. :ksc75smile: I may only contribute 20% or so to the project, I like to give credit where credit is due.

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #105,570 of 153,670
A nice selection of tubes in the Freya +, did you find the 1578's to be a bit too harsh in the gain stage? I use them there but then I have another eight tubes in the power amp section. I have only heard an early Yggdrasil but that should change soon enough.

Harsh, no. The 1578s are extremely neutral, I thought.

But, I love tubes that expand the sound stage. The CV181-TII do this magnificently. I was actually quite shocked when I first heard them because I had very low expectations for them given where they're manufactured.

The MELZ don't do that much. I also love the sound of a certain type of Raytheon VT-231s in the gain stage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back