Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 12, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #105,541 of 153,437
Jason has indicated in the past that new products are optimally introduced between Tuesday and Thursday. Monday's are already busy in the warehouse, and Friday is Friday! Don't want to get slammed with orders before the weekend!

Leo

giphy.gif

Dec 12, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #105,542 of 153,437
Loki Max silver is available now. Crappy photo for now. Good photography to follow in a week or so.

loki max silver.jpg

(This is not the promised announcement(s). That'll be on Wednesday. If they both happen.)
aaaaand added to cart while awaiting potential Wednesday announcement(s)

Dec 12, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #105,543 of 153,437
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 12, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #105,545 of 153,437
Adding in HQPlayer traversing the network has been painful.
I have zero issues with HQPlayer on two different locations, but everything is wired. Location #1 uses ethernet over cable coax (MoCA) and cat 6; location #2 all cat 6. Over WiFi, locations #1 and #2 are occasionally flaky for Roon (or even DLNA) even though they are set up with good UniFi and/or AmpliFi meshed WiFi access points. I'd not try HQPlayer NAA over WiFi. On location #3, I'm successfully using WiFI for Roon, AmpliFi Gamer's Edition.

Dec 13, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #105,546 of 153,437
Thanks. The humm actually stems from the Tyr that is indeed connected into a powerbar plugged into a CMX2 already :D
I doubt the powerbar is to blame? Like you said the stupid CMX2s only have 2 sockets, so i work with what I have : (
I bought a pair of Tyr back in March 2022. Both amps draw power from a Furman IT-Reference 20i symmetric power supply. Both were silent, both physically and electrically, for about 6 months. Then, one of the amps (suddenly?) developed an audible, physical hum that also manifested as a humm/buzz at the load (a.k.a. loudspeaker). It was quite audible in the speaker (background + 6-8db) in silent passages but basically invisible when music was playing.

It drove me a bit nuts, for no reason other than the fact that it shouldn't have occurred. @ArmchairPhilosopher

The other Tyr remains perfectly and utterly silent, both physically and electrically.

I am not an EE but I can only guess that there is a production variation that causes this anomaly to occur.

The amp arrived in Valencia Monday late Monday (12 Dec) morning. I am excited to discover where the issue lies... because I really miss it. :)

Dec 13, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #105,547 of 153,437
Hi schiitizens,

Thinking of upgrading my Bifrost GEN5 to Unison, I wonder if the cards for Gungnir and Bifrost are the same. They look identical in the photo but one (Gungnir) is in stock on schiit.co.uk but not for Bifrost. As I live in France and usually deal with Mark Dolbear in UK but also because of expensive shipping and custom fees, I'd prefer buying in UK rather than schiit.com.

EDIT : I asked Mark Dolbear from schiit.co.uk who answers me that cards are different :/

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #105,551 of 153,437
I just opened up my Tyrs today. I got them hooked up to my 1.7is, which were previously driven with a single AHB2. No matter what people say, a single AHB2 was more than enough for my needs. However, for these maggies I do prefer the Tyrs a bit more to the AHB2. I'll be selling the AHB2 shortly. Just a few things that I feel that caught me by surprise: 1) Tyr chassis isnt exactly flawless. I see some minor scratches here and there. Would have gone with silver had I known. 2) Terminals are spread out quite far. Kinda of a pain in the butt. 3) Power cord seems rather thing compared to my other less beefy amps 4) I found out i wasn't pressing the power button hard enough and it confused me initially. 5) I quickly realized the weight rating would far exceed anything I have that was meant to hold it, so now the amps are on the floor. That's fine, but the amps run really cool and I wish there hadn't been top air vents to accumulate dust through since they're on the floor. I guess that part is on me. 6) Anyone importing this into Canada can expect to pay a minimum of 500$ in duties/taxes. 7) I expected a slight transformer humm coming out of both the units as others have reported. Sadly, I do hear the humm, but only in one unit. Its mildly distracting now that I know its coming from that. Since its only one unit doing it I know its possible to be mitigated. I guess its luck of the draw that I got one good one and one bad one.
Mine also have slight transformer hum, and I got a couple of the Emotiva CMX-2 line conditioners as suggested here. Didn't make an audible difference, but since I can't hear it when music is playing, or when the furnace is running, I ignore it. There is no audible noise through my 1.7i speakers, just mechanical transformer hum on the units. The audible level is the same whether it's in operational mode or in standby.
I also suspect that since they're in a cabinet, the hum may also be resonating with the cabinet itself to make it seem louder. Eventually, I will replace the cabinet, and put the amps on separate stands nearer the speakers.

Dec 13, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #105,552 of 153,437
Mine also have slight transformer hum, and I got a couple of the Emotiva CMX-2 line conditioners as suggested here. Didn't make an audible difference, but since I can't hear it when music is playing, or when the furnace is running, I ignore it. There is no audible noise through my 1.7i speakers, just mechanical transformer hum on the units. The audible level is the same whether it's in operational mode or in standby.
I also suspect that since they're in a cabinet, the hum may also be resonating with the cabinet itself to make it seem louder. Eventually, I will replace the cabinet, and put the amps on separate stands nearer the speakers.
Interestingly (to me at least), My Yggy LiM is dead quiet, where my Aegir has some transformer hum, both connected to an Emotiva CMX-2. I have had other power amps that were quiet when connected to the same outlet sans the CMX-2.

Dec 13, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #105,553 of 153,437
Got my updated Yggdrasil+ back from Schiit on Friday. A few more comments.

I had changed my OG to LIM when LIM originally came out. As the weeks went by, I found LIM very smooth and I was happy. I never put the OG boards back in simply because swapping them on the old chassis was such a PITA.

With the new Yggdrasil+ chassis, after listening for a couple of days, I swapped my OG boards back in (at my request, Schiit also sent me the updated firmware for OG with the chassis update). It took me less than 30 minutes from start to finish - very easy now.

Going back to OG: WOW. LIM is smooth and probably makes recordings of low to average quality sound better. BUT, I spend most of my dedicated listening time listening to the best sounding recordings I have. Going back to OG, everything sounded better: more detail, more space, more exciting. OG boards are staying in!

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #105,554 of 153,437
Yggy OG for the win.

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #105,555 of 153,437
Got my updated Yggdrasil+ back from Schiit on Friday. A few more comments.

I had changed my OG to LIM when LIM originally came out. As the weeks went by, I found LIM very smooth and I was happy. I never put the OG boards back in simply because swapping them on the old chassis was such a PITA.

With the new Yggdrasil+ chassis, after listening for a couple of days, I swapped my OG boards back in (at my request, Schiit also sent me the updated firmware for OG with the chassiss update). It took my less than 30 minutes from start to finish - very easy now.

Going back to OG: WOW. LIM is smooth and probably makes recordings of low to average quality sound better. BUT, I spend most of my dedicated listening time listening to the best sounding recordings I have. Going back to OG, everything sounded better: more detail, more space, more exciting. OG boards are staying in!

Nice! This is what I’ve been waiting to hear. I’ve been considering moving my Yggy GS to either LIM or OG. I was leaning towards OG. Any other differences that you have noticed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back