Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 23, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #103,516 of 149,394
We should start a petition for Nitsch to come up with a matching Modi MB.
Nitsch Modi MB Piety :nerd:
Time to start a change.org campaign????

Would be a nice addition to the stack :)

Attachments

• 3C7991AE-2373-4343-B7B0-197E380F81D0.jpeg
    3C7991AE-2373-4343-B7B0-197E380F81D0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Nov 23, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #103,517 of 149,394
Do you not like the Piety or do you like it so much that you want to be covered in Schiit?!
Well if u want to know the truth I start to get nervous when I get down to 10 or less amps in house!!
OMG!
This is a crazy hobby!

:>)

Good Morning from North Carolina!!
Coffee is great and more listening to come!

Enjoy the music while u can!!
Alex

...and HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!

Nov 23, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #103,519 of 149,394
Well if u want to know the truth I start to get nervous when I get down to 10 or less amps in house!!
OMG!
This is a crazy hobby!

:>)

Good Morning from North Carolina!!
Coffee is great and more listening to come!

Enjoy the music while u can!!
Alex

...and HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!
I've been thinking about getting the Heretic just to have the two designs that are polar opposites...but also, curious to hear the magni+ too... and I think there is reason to have both the Piety and either version of the Magni due to the IEM gain setting.

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #103,520 of 149,394
Follow up... this guy became an online audio reviewer... let's say his listening skills were no better.

Yesterday I was listening to Donald Fagen's Nightfly and recalled my son putting on some Steely Dan when he wanted to show off his audio system. (mostly Schiit)
Many folks can relate to specific music and form a decent understanding of SQ, some have to be taught, some may not achieve the understanding. A local friend is very happy with MP3's and has expressed on many occasions that he cannot tell them from cd quality and above, he is quite happy with a fairly low end audio system.

First time test subjects for our blind tests are taught what to listen for and are given examples, then they are given a quick test with two recordings of the same music with specific nuances lessened on one of the recordings. The listeners then hear 20 sets that are mixed up so that the first portion might or might not be the better recording. The differences should be pretty obvious and most score in the 90's and above. Those samples are much more pronounced than what they will be hearing when four identical pieces of music are played through four DACS or amps or tubes, but it is a start. Those of us fifty and older are grandfathered in but still take the test since our high frequencies have diminished . :ksc75smile:

Those with scores of 60% and lower do not make the cut for the current listening session. They are often given another chance later on with different music.

Oh yeah while listening to Fagen, Finnegan must have stepped on the remote and my PrimaLuna appeared to go into DEFCON 2, red lights came on, the amp protected itself and all music stopped. Luckily no damage was done.:beerchug:

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #103,521 of 149,394
Hearing is passive (we hear whether we want to or not).

Listening is active (we focus and try to limit internal and external noise).

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #103,522 of 149,394
The Awesome Wilko Johnson has passed away !!

:sob::sob:
That is sad news.
RIP Wilko.
I saw him many years ago in a small London pub.
He was brilliant!
Medics expected him to die several years ago, but he surprised everyone by continuing to play.

Edit: Apologies. Looks like I posted this twice...

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #103,523 of 149,394
Nov 23, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #103,524 of 149,394

One of my favorite movies of all time! A few of us used to try to keep up with the amount of white Russian drinks that were served in the movie. :beerchug:

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #103,525 of 149,394
Yesterday I was listening to Donald Fagen's Nightfly and recalled my son putting on some Steely Dan when he wanted to show off his audio system. (mostly Schiit)
Many folks can relate to specific music and form a decent understanding of SQ, some have to be taught, some may not achieve the understanding. A local friend is very happy with MP3's and has expressed on many occasions that he cannot tell them from cd quality and above, he is quite happy with a fairly low end audio system.

First time test subjects for our blind tests are taught what to listen for and are given examples, then they are given a quick test with two recordings of the same music with specific nuances lessened on one of the recordings. The listeners then hear 20 sets that are mixed up so that the first portion might or might not be the better recording. The differences should be pretty obvious and most score in the 90's and above. Those samples are much more pronounced than what they will be hearing when four identical pieces of music are played through four DACS or amps or tubes, but it is a start. Those of us fifty and older are grandfathered in but still take the test since our high frequencies have diminished . :ksc75smile:

Those with scores of 60% and lower do not make the cut for the current listening session. They are often given another chance later on with different music.

Oh yeah while listening to Fagen, Finnegan must have stepped on the remote and my PrimaLuna appeared to go into DEFCON 2, red lights came on, the amp protected itself and all music stopped. Luckily no damage was done.:beerchug:
He obviously was expressing his opinion of your musical selection.

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #103,526 of 149,394
He obviously was expressing his opinion of your musical selection.
He does better with Year of the Cat. :ksc75smile:

I hope you are doing well, after the holidays I will be getting busy on some of the projects I started.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #103,527 of 149,394
Hearing is passive (we hear whether we want to or not).

Listening is active (we focus and try to limit internal and external noise).
Perfectly put!

Although there's also a third option: Autism.

Most people's brains filter out sounds that are irrelevant to what they're currently focusing on. That means that during conversations in a crowded place, for example, their neurological setup allows their perception to let secondary noises and voices fade into the background, while whatever sound or voice they're focusing on remains in the foreground. When listening to music, background noise becomes less pronounced. When they read, most sounds are no longer really perceived at all. Only when something out of the ordinary happens acoustically, their brains let it break though to the front of their perceptions.

In most neurotypical people, this happens automatically with little to no effort.

Some people on the spectrum, however, don't really have the ability to do that. To them, everything their ears pick up ends up being consciously perceived more or less unfiltered. Background noises and voices not relevant to their current conversation remain more or less exactly as loud as the voices they try to focus on. When listening to music, environmental noises remain just as pronounced as they would be without the music. While reading, no sounds fade into the background, they just remain as loud as they always are.

This might be sharing a little too much, but I belong to that second group of people.

It's a blessing, and it's a curse.

It's a blessing, because I'm always aware of what's going on around me. Literally always. You will be hard-pressed to sneak up and startle me, and no matter how noisy it gets inside a car, I more or less always know where other cars are located around me. It's a great "safety feature" to have access to.

But it's also a curse because the amount of energy it takes me to even just halfway decently filter out one voice while listening to a conversation in a crowded place. Half an hour into a lively group conversation at your average echoy American family restaurant and I'll be utterly drained for the rest of the day.

It also means that I'll hear everything in the music. Every detail and every nuance, but also every single flaw that's in the mix, even the tiniest bit of clipping. It all bubbles through to the front of my perception. I think that that's why I'm able to hear that DACs like Yggy OG and Gungnir MB are actually worlds apart in their sound signature. But it also means that a lot of music that's less well produced sounds like nails on a chalk board to me, which is especially true for most mainstream productions.

So, yeah.

There's hearing, there's listening — and then there's Autism. 🤪

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #103,528 of 149,394
Perfectly put!

Although there's also a third option: Autism.

Most people's brains filter out sounds that are irrelevant to what they're currently focusing on. That means that during conversations in a crowded place, for example, their neurological setup allows their perception to let secondary noises and voices fade into the background, while whatever sound or voice they're focusing on remains in the foreground. When listening to music, background noise becomes less pronounced. When they read, most sounds are no longer really perceived at all. Only when something out of the ordinary happens acoustically, their brains let it break though to the front of their perceptions.

In most neurotypical people, this happens automatically with little to no effort.

Some people on the spectrum, however, don't really have the ability to do that. To them, everything their ears pick up ends up being consciously perceived more or less unfiltered. Background noises and voices not relevant to their current conversation remain more or less exactly as loud as the voices they try to focus on. When listening to music, environmental noises remain just as pronounced as they would be without the music. While reading, no sounds fade into the background, they just remain as loud as they always are.

This might be sharing a little too much, but I belong to that second group of people.

It's a blessing, and it's a curse.

It's a blessing, because I'm always aware of what's going on around me. Literally always. You will be hard-pressed to sneak up and startle me, and no matter how noisy it gets inside a car, I more or less always know where other cars are located around me. It's a great "safety feature" to have access to.

But it's also a curse because the amount of energy it takes me to even just halfway decently filter out one voice while listening to a conversation in a crowded place. Half an hour into a lively group conversation at your average echoy American family restaurant and I'll be utterly drained for the rest of the day.

It also means that I'll hear everything in the music. Every detail and every nuance, but also every single flaw that's in the mix, even the tiniest bit of clipping. It all bubbles through to the front of my perception. I think that that's why I'm able to hear that DACs like Yggy OG and Gungnir MB are actually worlds apart in their sound signature. But it also means that a lot of music that's less well produced sounds like nails on a chalk board to me, which is especially true for most mainstream productions.

So, yeah.

There's hearing, there's listening — and then there's Autism. 🤪
Yggy and Gungnir were picked quite a distance apart by the majority of a group in our last DAC comparison so I am not sure that is a special accomplishment. :ksc75smile: Criteria used, as best I recall were....

Timbre
Tonality
Openness
Balance
Soundstage/imaging
Bass
Upper bass
Midrange
Upper mids
Treble multiple examples including brilliance
Crosstalk (the test for this is pretty wild)
Distortion
Dynamic range
Bloom
Clarity
Detail
Judgement
Neutrality
Resolution (micro details)
Sibilance
Warmth
Roll-off/Cutoff
Presentation

I am not in charge of setting up the test but I imagine we will use something similar in the upcoming comparison. Looking at individual scores we can narrow down any differences heard.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #103,529 of 149,394
Nov 23, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #103,530 of 149,394

Users who are viewing this thread

Back